Latest post Thu, Mar 14 2019 1:29 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 14 2019 9:22 AM

Avid changes direction of MP4 file on import

Hey,

for a new project I have to import or link lots of little files made by diferent people on their phones. The most troubling ones for me are the MPEG4 files (for example 480 x 848). My Avid always changes the 'direction' of the file. They are vertical but it makes them horizontal and crops them. If I restretch them they come out all blury.

I am working in a 1080 x 1920 project since I need vertical videos as output in the end. I can't just flip the files in FrameFlex because it has already lost part of the image on import.

in the import settings I select

- do not resize smaller images

- use the source file's resolution

I also tried other options but it keeps turning out wrong. I only have this problem with MP4 files. The others I sometimes have to switch the direction in frameflex but the don't get distorted like the MP4 files.

Any help would be apreciated.

Koen

PS I work on the most recent Avid MC on a Mac 10.13.6

Avid MC, symphony option 2018.12.0.5015.0 Hardware: ultrastudio Mini Monitor Avid Generic Plug-Inn 3.4.1.285, AVCHD MSP Plug-Inn 1.5.3.10159, Avid MediaProcessor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 14 2019 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: Avid changes direction of MP4 file on import

Hi,

What happens if you link to the files rather than importing? If it works, or allows you to frame flex the image the way you need it, you could then transcode to whatever resolution you're working with.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 11:48 AM In reply to

Hi,

I think I may have found it this way.

If in FrameFlex I change the Frame aspect ratio to 9-16 and then position the red Frame as wide as possible and set 'reformat' on stretch I get the original image.

No transcode needed this way.

Thx for pointing me in the right direction!

Koen

Avid MC, symphony option 2018.12.0.5015.0 Hardware: ultrastudio Mini Monitor Avid Generic Plug-Inn 3.4.1.285, AVCHD MSP Plug-Inn 1.5.3.10159, Avid MediaProcessor... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 14 2019 1:29 PM In reply to

I'm glad you got it figured out!

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller