Latest post Wed, Mar 13 2019 3:58 PM by Marianna. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 11 2019 12:02 PM

NVIDIA GPU playback causing lag

Hi all,

First time posting here so apologies if I don't include all the information needed.

Recently Avid has been experiencing playback lag whenever I have an NVIDIA GTX Titan Black (6GB) installed. This happens with the card installed either as a second GPU or as the only GPU with it being used for GUI as well. In Avid I get the red render bar indicator on my timecode track and the audio quickly slips out of sync. This has happened with both 2018.12.1 and 2018.12.0. The weird thing is that I was working on 2018.12.0 (and earleir versions) before and all seemed fine. Then one day last week I get in and it started lagging (no CUDA or Blackmagic update in between etc).

I use this suite for grading in Resolve as well as cutting in Avid so it's essential to have the multiple GPUs. My understanding is that although Avid won't make use of multiple GPUs (I'm fine with that), their presence in the machine shouldn't affect performance because Avid just defaults to using the display GPU for any GPU processing.

To give you a bit more detail, my system looks like this:

• Mac Pro 5,1 (MacOS 10.13.6, latest security patch)
    • AMD Radeon RX 560 (4GB) for GUI on 2x 1920x1200 monitors
    • Cubix Expander containing: Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX Titan Black (6GB)
    • Latest CUDA version and latest NVIDIA driver
    In troubleshooting the issue I've established that the Blackmagic card is not at fault and it works fine being inside the Cubix as long as I remove the NVIDIA cards from the mix. Suffice to say, Avid works perfectly whenever there is no NVIDA card installed, and doesn't work in any setup if there is one or more NVIDA cards installed. I can't find any reference online to people complaining of a similar issue in which having a second GPU installed causes these problems. I know my system is somewhat unconventional as far as Avid is concerned but having a couple of GPUs inside a Cubix plus a seperate GUI card is very common and something that has worked fine for me in the past in Avid.

• Wed, Mar 13 2019 3:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,151
    • Points 217,275
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: NVIDIA GPU playback causing lag

I would reach out to support as that NVIDIA is titan black might not be tested and approved....  as we enhance the software like with 2018.12.1 and 2018.12.2 - sometimes what works in earlier versions by chance doesnt anylonger.

Here is where to call 800-800-2843

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller