Latest post Wed, Feb 20 2019 2:10 PM by Kristofer Nordin. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 19 2019 12:22 PM

Mixed framerate and relink.

Hi all.

Im here with a 25 fps project. So far all my material is filmed in 25 fps, except from last day delivery witch arrived with a frame rate of 24…

According to this thread https://community.avid.com/forums/p/184086/856641.aspx#856641

I should "Link to the source file, open source settings, choose playback speed to « project speed », then transcode." 

But, by doing so I get a warning saying: “…Because of the new edit rate does not match the original clip, you cannot … relink or link (via AMA) to these new clips” And the idea on this project is to do the conform within the Avid, relink back to the original files and export. 

I did a test with the above, and on relinking, I couldn’t get Avid to relink to my, 24 fps transcoded to 25 fps, files.

AMC version is 2018.4.0

Maybe there is a obvious solution that I don’t see?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Media Composer 2018.4.0 Mac Pro 5.1. (Mid 2010) Processors: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Memory: 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics: ATI Radeon HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 19 2019 4:45 PM In reply to

Re: Mixed framerate and relink.

I would suggest transcoding first, but selecting "Keep source's frame rate." Your clips will remain 24fps and can be re-linked at any time.

Then, on those transcoded clips, change the playback rate in the source setting to the project rate.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 19 2019 5:53 PM In reply to

• jo56lu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 34
    • Points 480

That's the 'classic' way,and definitely working.

But then what does the feature 'Relinking Across Frame Rates' added with v. 8.9.3 mean?

HP Z840 2 x E5-2630V3 8 core, 32 GB RAM, Quadro K4200, AJA KONA LHe Plus w/KL-Box, LSI internal RAID, Win 7 Pro, Avid MC 8.9.3 w/Symph option [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 19 2019 6:10 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,443
    • Points 41,530

jo56lu:

That's the 'classic' way,and definitely working.

But then what does the feature 'Relinking Across Frame Rates' added with v. 8.9.3 mean?

I "think" that is only to do with media in Avid media bins, NOT AMA linked clips.  Just spitballing here.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Feb 19 2019 6:49 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

I would suggest transcoding first, but selecting "Keep source's frame rate." Your clips will remain 24fps and can be re-linked at any time.

Then, on those transcoded clips, change the playback rate in the source setting to the project rate.

OK thanks, but will I be able to export that sequence without any problems. The result has to be a 25 fps file.

Thanks again!

Media Composer 2018.4.0 Mac Pro 5.1. (Mid 2010) Processors: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Memory: 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics: ATI Radeon HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 19 2019 7:36 PM In reply to

Kristofer Nordin:
    but will I be able to export that sequence without any problems. The result has to be a 25 fps file.

Yes. Your project is still 25fps, so is your sequence.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 19 2019 7:38 PM In reply to

jo56lu:

I'm not 100% sure, but historically, to use mixed framerates without affecting the ability to relink, you had to create separate projects for each framerate. Now, you can select that "Keep source's frame rate" item and stay within a single project.

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 8:17 AM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

Hi again.

I run into problems doing this. Relink operation works fine, but the relinked sequence looks strange and has a new duration!

-But if I don’t change the playback on my transcoded clip, everything looks fine. Transcoded sequence has the same length as the “off-line” sequence. And exported file plays in 25 fps.

-So why change the framerate after transcode? Or is there something Im missing here?

Thanks

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 9:38 AM In reply to

If you don't change the framerate of the 24fps content MC will add a motion adapter and do a framerate conversion on playback. This adds an additional extra frame every 24 frames to make you up to 25fps. You get a horrid stutter if there is motio at that point.

Selecting to play the 24fps at the project rate of 25fps speeds up the playback slightly so no stutter but the length of the clips will change.

There is no right way it just depends on what you wnat to avoid most....

As long as you test the workflow end to end using whatever method then you should be good.

One otehr option is to make 25fps masterclips of the 24fs media at finishing quality and thereby avoid the need to reconform them.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 12:51 PM In reply to

You’re right Pat, the shutter doesn’t look great, and I can’t have Avid adjusting the length of some clips within my timeline when relinking… It feels very insecure!

So right now Im aiming at your other option. To create new 25fps masterclips of the 24fps media.

I created a new 24fps Avid project. linked the clips. Then exported them in 25 fps. (My master clips has codec AppleProres 422, so Im using Apple prores 422 HQ at export.)

Upon a first look the new clips looks great. No quality loss, and no shutter!

Please come back if Im missing something else here, I really want to prevent problems later on, at relink and export.

Thanks

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:01 PM In reply to

• Obscure
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2018
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Hi,

If you change the playback rate of your edit proxy, you must also change the playback rate of your master source media BEFORE you relink it to your sequence, otherwise it will nibble frames from your sequence.

You can change the playback rate while the master source media is AMA linked and then choose Keep Source Frame Rate when you transcode to DNxHR.

Hope this is helpful.

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 2:10 PM In reply to

Oh thanks, this actually works even better! My relinked sequence remains the same length, and no shutter as I can see. Creating new master clips is OK, but time consuming, so this feels like the best solution after all!

Many thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller