Latest post Fri, Feb 15 2019 2:58 PM by schnitt. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 12 2019 6:39 PM

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 27 2007
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,335

AMA Plug-ins/Relinking Issue Getting Critical

Sorry to re-post, but this is something I truly need fixed.

Since installing 2018.12.1 (in order to successfully output audio AAFs which I could not in previous version),

I've since opened a project that spans several years over a few drives and hundreds/thousands of clips many of which

are AMA linked. From these I've made a few dozen Sequences of selects that are categorized and represent an important

index/library for this footage that I use year after year. 

I'm seeing much of it offline, and when looking to relink clips, the "relink to file(s)" is greyed out. 

In previous versions I have seen how bringing the clips in anew (into the same or a new bin) can somehow relink the "original clips", but I'm not having any luck.

It seems to have something to do with old AMA generic plugin vs. a newer one? (These are Canon DSLR QTs).

I've heard rolling back to an earlier version may be my only fix.   I hope not.

If anyone has had experience with this or if you're on it, Avid, please share what you can.

Thanks!

• Tue, Feb 12 2019 6:45 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,335

Re: AMA Plug-ins/Relinking Issue Getting Critical

The top (yellow is newly linked) and has "AVC Long-GOP High (HD1080p)"

The unlinkable orange clips shows "AVC Long GOP 6 (HD1080p)"

• Tue, Feb 12 2019 11:36 PM In reply to

Hi schnitt, what a risk to update during the editing process.. during several years.. Did you save the original AMA-bins?! Hope, the drives weren't reordered, renamed? Hope I can help you with some Infos, as you didn't write about the MC-Versions you used. You should see two Avid Generic plugins in the Info-Tab of your project window or in the plug-in column of the bin. In case you have your AMAbins, you can distinguish in the bin, which clip was linked with which plug in. (there is a new column for that). The recent Avid Generic plugin has no number at the end, the preceding one has 2.6, and QTplug in is indicated, too. Starting with MC 8.5 there was "auto detect " and a new plug in for wav/aiff. Starting with MC 8.7 there was the first Avid generic plug in and the right-click choosing. Since MC 8.9 it was possible to link to AAC with generic plug in. starting with MC 8.9.1 autodect chose h264, mov and mp4 automatically, too. since MC 2018.5.1 it auto detects DnxHR in mov-containers. since MC 2018.8 the generic plug-in was renewed and displays no number any more. Clips relinked with older MCversions show Avid generic plug in 2.6, so you can distinguish them from each other. Maybe you have luck when you force the very old clips (where no Avid Generic existed) to load with the QT-Plugin instead of the Avid Generic one. Not set to "automatic" but by right-clicking the plug in you can choose which plug in is used for relinking. Or choose the old one. When you choose the wrong one, the bin is populated with new clips, when you choose the correct (the one you used at the time) the clips will be relinked and your sequences will update. There was a bugfix (MCCET-2581) in 2018.10 for relinking with generic plug in HTH best julia
    MC 2018.7.1 @ OS10.10.5 w/matrox mini 2x2.26 quad-core intel xeon w/32gb in my production company and MC 2018.12.1 @ OS 10.13.6 on macbook pro for teaching... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 13 2019 3:27 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,335

Thank you for reply.  It's a project that is updated on an annual basis (going back to 2001).  I've updated MC continuously.

Probably started with some AMA P2 around 2011, and have utilized AMA often since. And even with moving media around (to new perhaps renamed drives) over the years, I can always at the very least relink. 

I'll open up the project later today and see what I can do with the info you've provided.

Thanks!

• Wed, Feb 13 2019 5:49 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,156
    • Points 23,140

I too am having real issues linking to AMA P2 files in origional file structure  this might be a bug 

Im On 2018.12.1 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 14 2019 5:05 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,335

Thank You, Julia.

I'm not seeing extactly where/how to right click to change which plug-in is used. (referencing what you stated below)

Can't seem to alter or create an action by right clicking "Plug-in" column (which is showing Generic 2.6)

or by right clicking original clip and using "Modify", "Source Settings" greyed out for this offline clip of course.

Thanks if you don't mind clarifying how to change which plugin it wants to use.

"Not set to "automatic" but by right-clicking the plug in you can choose which plug in is used for relinking. Or choose the old one. When you choose the wrong one, the bin is populated with new clips, when you choose the correct (the one you used at the time) the clips will be relinked and your sequences will update.

• Fri, Feb 15 2019 12:36 AM In reply to

Hi schnitt, to choose a plug in manually open the source browser target your original bin (right corner below) open the original material folder when you have the source browser in text view, there is a column for linked plugin, you can see it here: file:///Applications/Avid%20Media%20Composer/Help/MCHelp.html#page/Help%2FFile_Based_Media.21.07.html%23 there you can right-click on the indicated plug-in and choose a different one, but I think this won‘t help in your case, as it is for • XAVC-S (mp4) • H.264 (.mov and .mp4) • AAC (.mov, mp4, .aac) • MJPEG/Video Only - .mov container • MJPEG/PCM Audio - .mov container • JPEG - .jpg files • PCM Audio only files - .mov container • TIFF - .tif files for the case you need to choose the QT plug in manually I think your problem possibly could be p2-related? Did you update the panasonic plug in recently? make sure "automatically link to volumes" is selected file:///Applications/Avid%20Media%20Composer/Help/MCHelp.html#page/Help%2FFile_Based_Media.21.04.html%23 please monitor this p2-thread also http://community.avid.com/forums/t/196445.aspx HTH good luck Julia
    MC 2018.7.1 @ OS10.10.5 w/matrox mini 2x2.26 quad-core intel xeon w/32gb in my production company and MC 2018.12.1 @ OS 10.13.6 on macbook pro for teaching... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 15 2019 2:58 PM In reply to

• schnitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,335

Thank you for your detailed reply. 

The clips I'd like to relink are all Canon DSLR QTs (They want the Avid Generic Plugin 2.6).

So while I can indeed choose a plug-in in Source Browser for clips I bring in anew, I can't seem to

link stuff from a past project that is associated with a lot of work in terms of an organized footage library

I've made over many years.  I think this will dissuade me from AMA linking in many cases.  I've always prefferred MXF, but

AMA was very expedient at times to get started. 

I really can't believe there is no way other than rolling back to an old version (where I couldn't export embedded audio AAFs)

to link up material from the past.  Nothing back on my support case so far, and I need to begin working on this project.

Recreating my selects sequences/footage index would take weeks in this case. 

Thanks very much for your advice.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller