Latest post Tue, Feb 12 2019 2:58 PM by Isaac T.. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 4 2019 3:54 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,485

Managing media

I'm wondering if any other Avid users have tried this (and succeeded)...

My media data is stored on several large RAID arrays on one or more media servers, accessed overa  2GB network from a single MC workstation. I usually have many projects stored and active at once, usually for a long period.

By default, MC allows me to designate the drive to which I will capture (and render, precompute, save ttiles etc.) Having chose the drive - for example "O", MC them creates a subfolder on the drive called "Avid MediaFiles" with a subfolder called "MXF" - under which MC creates a subfolder called "1" - when "1" contains about 5000 items, MC creates a new subfolder called "2", and continues to store in this sub-folder.

This means that the captured (and rendered, precomputed etc) media data for many projects may be contained in a single subfolder called "1" or "2" etc.

If it were possible, I would like to create a sub-folder for each project on each array involved in that project - so that instead of an anonymous "1" folder name, it would have an identifiable name such as the project number.

We discussed this last year in this forum, and as someone (Carl?) pointed out, MC doesn't provide for such designation prior to capturing, but that given a clean system with a new project, one could capture all media data to the automatically designated folder "1", and then move it to a new folder with the given project designation, and relink the clips in MC. Subsequent rendered/precomuted/transcoded files for the same project would be relocated and reparented (relinked) in a similar manner).

I would like to try this approach as in the long run, it would be more logical for me to be able to overview the data on a project-by-project basis at OS level, and though I recognise it requires some effort on my part, I think the effort would be worth it for me.

Given that the method relies on having the default "1" or "2" etc. folders empty when starting a new project, so that the new material can be identified by date and relocated, I have the challenge that I already have two large arrays with data from about 8 projects mixed together udner these default folders, and I'm trying to work out the best way of moving and relinking all this data.

I tried an experiment today with a single clip, which I moved to a new sub-folder at OS level. MC was unable to relink to it. I moved it back to the default folder and MC couldn't see or relink to it, at least until I restarted MC after which it was back again. But this experiment shows that the process might be slow and not without problems.

As far as I can see, there is no way in the media tool of seeing which sub-folder a given file is located in, nor of moving it and relinking it.

Has anyone any experience, advice or input on making this approach workable?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:15 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 380
    • Points 5,245

Re: Managing media

Yeah Discreet Edit was real good about keeping all assetts in a tidy place...I forget, but it worked great. When we went with AVID I just couldn't trust MDV so we bought a Terrablock to assign a drive to each job. Ditto with a portibale hard drive for every job. It made it super easy to back-up and restore from LTO or another portable drive when each job is on its own drive. 

MC 2018.10 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 500GB SSD, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC2019, Sapphire2019, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:17 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,515

It seems like you're trying to find a way to organize your media by project, right? There a few ways to do, but the media needs to stay inside a numbered folder inside the MXF folder. 

What I do is designate a numbered folder for a project (Project A is designated to folder 2103 - for example). Then at the end of the day or the end of the week, i will use the AVID MDV app to filter out the media on that drive by project - and drag and drop into that media into the appropriate folder. This way at the end of a project, i can just drag that media folder onto an external drive and have that sitting and waiting to be used again. 

As long as folder 2103 stays inside the MXF folder it can be read. All new media will still go to folder 1. But i can always add media to it again later and the database will update. 

If you add letters to that folder, the media can be read but the database will not be udpated. To combat this, i place another folder inside the MXF folder titled '2103 - Project A". Avid will ignore it, but it lets me know what project is associated with what folder number. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC2019.6/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.14.3/MC2018.12.2/NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:35 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,485

Thanks for your replies - and good to hear that I'm not the only one trying to bring some OS level order to media management.

My experiments today have been quite promising and confirm the following...

The project-numbered folder to which one wants to move media files needs to be created in the OS before opening MC - that way MC "knows" that the folder exists when it starts up and scans the drives.

If one can identify the files by date (knowing which projects were captured when) then the files can be moved from the "1" or "2" folder to the project numbered folder whilst MC is open in the project for which the files are captured and MC will reindex the drives and all files will still be online.

Whilst experimenting it's a good idea to only work with moving files from a single "1" or "2" folder at a time, that way, if things go pear-shaped, you can alwways restore them.

So far, so good. I'm nearly finished reparenting all the files to my most recent project and it looks promising.

Thanks everyone... :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 4:40 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    We discussed this last year in this forum, and as someone (Carl?) pointed out, MC doesn't provide for such designation prior to capturing, but that given a clean system with a new project, one could capture all media data to the automatically designated folder "1", and then move it to a new folder with the given project designation, and relink the clips in MC. Subsequent rendered/precomuted/transcoded files for the same project would be relocated and reparented (relinked) in a similar manner).

Wasn't me. I've seen other people post similar workflows, but I'm one of the ones who just lets Avid handle media management however it wants to, and use the Media Tool within Media Composer if I need to see media by project.

:)

Media Composer 2019.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 5:08 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 753
    • Points 8,890

@Adrian Redmond: hello!

Adrian Redmond:
    Thanks for your replies - and good to hear that I'm not the only one trying to bring some OS level order to media management.

I know where you're coming from, but's that not how it works in Media Composer.

camoscato:
    I've seen other people post similar workflows, but I'm one of the ones who just lets Avid handle media management however it wants to, and use the Media Tool within Media Composer if I need to see media by project.

Like Carl said:

1. Let Media Composer do its thing.

2. Use a utility to sift it out into folders later.

Carl mentioned Media Tool, but the excellent (and free!) MDV can help you sift media to different folders.

http://djfio.ru/mdv/

Super-useful for archiving media upon project completion, or gathering media in specific bins. Perfect for handing off something to other roles (e.g. audio post, VFX, color) if you're not in a shared storage environment.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 5:11 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 753
    • Points 8,890

@Fazz Powell:

Fazz Powell:
    When we went with AVID I just couldn't trust MDV so we bought a Terrablock to assign a drive to each job. Ditto with a portibale hard drive for every job. It made it super easy to back-up and restore from LTO or another portable drive when each job is on its own drive.

Why?

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 9:42 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,388
    • Points 97,040

My question too - I've always found it super reliable.  In fact I've always wondered why Avid didn't just buy it and supply it as an Avid utility as part of the MC bundle.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 4 2019 10:16 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 380
    • Points 5,245

Isaac T.:
    Why?
    I dunno in 2006 when I tried MDV it just seemed to have a counter-intuitive UI (But then again I loathe iTunes "UI".) I do some very high-value industrial pieces $500K+, north of several TB+ and I really didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about trusting freeware to making rock solid back-ups that can easily be restored. My method of isolation and going to LTO works flawlessly. I'm not the brightest bulb in the drawer and prescribe to the KISS principal. With Back-up Exec I could do partail or full restores back to the creating drive letter, so I don't have to worry about re-linking issues to another drive letter, that may or may not work I don't ever recall being able to prep an AVID job for back-up by LTO via MDV, and if not, then I'd be using a bunch or portables to make a "back-up" anyway via MDV (LTO was much cheaper than drives  back then). Can MDV back-up and restore to LTO now? I too would have REALLY preferred a tool within AVID for back-ups and restore and not some freeware...which I generally avoid anyway for security reasons. So that's my "why", not saying I'm right. 

MC 2018.10 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 500GB SSD, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC2019, Sapphire2019, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 10:24 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,485

I guess every editor has his or her own prefeneces regarding media management - one thing seems obvious though - unless you are happy with leaving everything to Avid and working with that, some form of folder sorting is an advantage - becuasae then you can see and track at OS level what data is where, which makes backing up, moving files and deleting files a lot easier. Of course it's best to handle what can be handles from within Avid to maintain database integrity, but with structured folders on a project by project basis, you can see what both you and Avid have done. It's well worth the effort in my opinion :)

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 10:27 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 500
    • Points 5,970

MDV Tool is great, but not completely reliable. It will sometimes list media as unreferenced.

I prefer manually shoving media from the days project into it's assigned folder every evening.

using MDV as last resort.

And I use empty .txt files files in the Mediafiles/MXF folder to tell me which project is which.

like "192 project XY 2019-02.txt"

But yeah, having Avid write to a dedicated folder for each project would be trivial to implement as well as awesome.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 4 2019 10:46 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 380
    • Points 5,245

Yeah I back up at the end of every day incrementally to another "isolated by job" back-up HD. (Then at the end of the week to incremental or full LTO from main project HD or Terrablock partition). I can copy over all the .AVBs, assetts that came from producer/client in folders that AVID/nor MDV can't "see", and the AVID job, and all the MXFs created that day to the other drive in seconds. I don't have to look all over for these nor use any software. Easy-peasy copy-paste. (I delete all renders with Media Tool before doing so)

• Mon, Feb 4 2019 10:59 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 753
    • Points 8,890

(@All: just so we're clear, you can't compare a commercial shared storage appliance, with an integrated media asset manager, to MDV.)

• Tue, Feb 5 2019 5:33 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

MDV for Windows is abandonware unfortunately, it's alive and well in OSX :-( I wish the developer goes back to maintain the Windows version again. As for the old thread about media management, it was Andrew Action and Douglas to be involved, not Carl. I stand by the MediaTool for media management, but it has its shortcomings when it comes to copy or move files around.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Feb 5 2019 12:20 PM In reply to

What I would do is ingest all your media to your drive into folder 1.  Once finished rename it to "11".  Recreate folder 1 and then your renders will go in there.  Any subsequent ingest will be sent to folder 1 but you can find it by creation date and move it to a new folder called 12.  I would do this as it will invoke a media database rebuild if moved to 11, which can be lengthy and making a new folder will reduce this to only the number 1 folder being rebuilt as you have removed newly ingested clips out. 

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 2019.5 HDX, S6 , X-MON, all on PCs. NEXIS E4 & ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller