Latest post Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:26 PM by Marianna. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 10:44 AM

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,260

Locked out of MC after 2018.12.1 update

I've just updated to MC 2018.12.1, and this new "Avid Link" has unlinked my software!!!!!!

As always when updating I first deactivated MC before doing the update install using the AppMan. In the past after a restart of the PC I just opened AppMan and reactivated MC without any issues.

With this new Avid Link Spyware this isn't possible and I am locked out of MC.

Any, and all, attempts to reactivate MC result in a spinning wheel beside the "Activate" tab - and nothing else.

Thanks for nothing Avid, if you don't want people to use the software just say so, but stop messing with our minds and work.

Gerry

MC 2019.6, Win 10 Pro(1809), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 417.35),Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 12:05 PM In reply to

Re: Locked out of MC after 2018.12.1 update

Hi Gerry,

gswilson:

Any, and all, attempts to reactivate MC result in a spinning wheel beside the "Activate" tab - and nothing else.

Which app are you trying to use to activate MC? The reason I ask is because when I did the 2018.12.1 update, it removed Application Manager and replaced it with Avid Link, where my products & activation statuses appear under the "Products" tab along the left hand side.

It sounds like you may be trying to use Application Manager - I'm guessing based on you mentioning the "Activate" tab, which Avid Link doesn't have. 

If this is the case, perhaps try activating with Avid Link?

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jan 29 2019 1:53 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,260

camoscato:

Hi Gerry,

gswilson:

Which app are you trying to use to activate MC? The reason I ask is because when I did the 2018.12.1 update, it removed Application Manager and replaced it with Avid Link, where my products & activation statuses appear under the "Products" tab along the left hand side.

It sounds like you may be trying to use Application Manager - I'm guessing based on you mentioning the "Activate" tab, which Avid Link doesn't have. 

If this is the case, perhaps try activating with Avid Link?

Words fail me. Confused

From the 2018.12.1 Readme:

"Avid Link is automatically installed when you install Media Composer v2018.12.1. When you
    install Media Composer, Application Manager will be automatically uninstalled and replaced
    with Avid Link."

How can anyone use a piece of software that isn't installed on their system????

This cheap Facebook copy isn't working. Fortunately I have DaVinci Resolve, and the new project is working out quite nicely in it.

When I have the time, maybe I'll try MC later - very much later.

Gerry

MC 2019.6, Win 10 Pro(1809), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Driver 417.35),Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 2:30 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,976
    • Points 21,780
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Gerry,

Can you pm me your Avid MC systems ID, I will get a case going.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 5:47 PM In reply to

Hi Gerry,

We're sorry that you are running into this problem with your software. It really would be great to get clarification about which application you are using, Avid Link or Application Manager. As RalphC mentioned, Avid Link does not have an "Activate" tab, but there is an "Activate" button if you select your license in the licensing grid. 

I'm guessing that the act of "Activating" is just taking too long, which we can troubleshoot if you are able to email us your System ID, we can investigate. 

Also, i don't understand your comment about the application that is not installed. Can you help clarify that? 
    To activate you must have previously used Application Manager, which is the application that would get uninstalled to then install Avid Link. 

Please let me know what you think. 

Thanks

~Keith

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2019 6:41 PM In reply to

gswilson:
    As always when updating I first deactivated MC before doing the update install using the AppMan. In the past after a restart of the PC I just opened AppMan and reactivated MC without any issues
    use the Control Panel to uninstall your current version of MC AND Avid Link.  Install MC 2018.12.0. straight from an unzipped new download. (Avid My Account, MyProducts, MC. Downloads. Installing this will also install the Application Manager.  Reactivate MC.

For what its worth I never deactivate MC when I am doing an update install. (The warning during the manual uninstall to deactivate has a qualifier showing you do not need to deactivate. Nor do I rely on the Application Manager to update anything.

Use the Control Panel to uninstall MC 2018.12.0 only.  Install MC 2018.12.1.   Reboot.  Go immediately to the Control Panel and uninstall Avid Link.   MC2018.12.1 should open activated. 

This workaround worked here with software activatin and Windows 10. Good luck 

Alayne

• Thu, Jan 31 2019 11:03 PM In reply to

i too am locked out of media composer after finally getting avid link to work. The electronic activation failed, but reactivating through avid link by putting back in my serial number and activation ID seems to have worked. It seems Avid Link is a bit buggy right now.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.2, OSX 10.14.3 iMac 2017 Pro 1000 GB SSI drive with 8 TB Thunderbolt Raid drive, 16 GB memory. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 14 2019 8:59 PM In reply to

• gitzit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 20 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

I am also locked out of Avid for now.  Called support and he acted like it was no big deal, said I needed to redownload and try again.  I am downloading now so we will see if that works.  As for "Avid Link"  Why they think I need every ones picture is more than I can understand.  If I really want to see you all I'll just go to Avid Connect at NAB.  I think they must have done this by mistake.  Just give us back the Applaction Manager and I'll wait to see your faces and new products in Las Vagas.

• Sat, Feb 16 2019 3:14 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,976
    • Points 21,780
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi gitzit,

Email or pm me if your still stuck.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 19 2019 9:29 AM In reply to

• gitzit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 20 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 70

I got it working today at last.  Not sure what was up with it I did another install and it started working.

Thank You,

Neil

• Tue, Feb 19 2019 3:02 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,976
    • Points 21,780
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

That is good news if you run into an issue just let me know.

RalphC

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 8:41 PM In reply to

• karenG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 9 2011
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,245
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi all,

I just had the very same problem as gitzit. I am still trying to reactivate my MC and Symphony.

First I successfully updated to v2018.12 Before I installed it I deactivated MC and Symphony in App Manager.

The update / installation to v2018.12.1 replaced App Manager by Avid Link. I cannot reactivate my licences.

Please see my screenshot aof Avid Link WITH Activation button.

Now I will try uninstall then installing the older version v2018.12. Hopefully getting MC running so I can work tomorrow.

Best karen

• Wed, Feb 20 2019 8:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Karen

message me your system ID and email address used at account.avid.com

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:09 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 326
    • Points 4,260

Alayne Holmes:

gswilson:
    As always when updating I first deactivated MC before doing the update install using the AppMan. In the past after a restart of the PC I just opened AppMan and reactivated MC without any issues
    use the Control Panel to uninstall your current version of MC AND Avid Link.  Install MC 2018.12.0. straight from an unzipped new download. (Avid My Account, MyProducts, MC. Downloads. Installing this will also install the Application Manager.  Reactivate MC.

For what its worth I never deactivate MC when I am doing an update install. (The warning during the manual uninstall to deactivate has a qualifier showing you do not need to deactivate. Nor do I rely on the Application Manager to update anything.

Use the Control Panel to uninstall MC 2018.12.0 only.  Install MC 2018.12.1.   Reboot.  Go immediately to the Control Panel and uninstall Avid Link.   MC2018.12.1 should open activated. 

This workaround worked here with software activatin and Windows 10. Good luck 

Alayne

Finally got around to sorting out this mess with the Avid "Facebook Lite".

Thank you very much Alayne for this very helpful advice, everything worked just as you described it.

While "looking around" for any updated versions I notice that there has not been a single 2019.anything release, and we're now at the middle of March????? Ah well, my days with MC are numbered anyway, I'm tired of playing with silly "social network" tricks, and Resolve does have a lot of plus points.

Gerry

• Thu, Mar 14 2019 4:26 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Gerry

we are improving on 2018.12.x right now... expect a new version of this soon......

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller