Latest post Fri, Jan 25 2019 10:58 PM by Leo153. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:58 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,535

Importing photos/graphics with a higher resolution than the project

I'm looking for a way to handle images in a way that is similart to tjhat which was possible in Liquid :)

In liquid - even on projects that were SD 720x576 pixels, it was possible to import a still shot or graphic that had a mich higher resoultion/pixel dimension - by default the imported icon shows the centre 720x576 pixels of the image, but the entire image was still available for effgects work, so that one could zoom/pan around the image as resuired. This has the advantage that shouts that one knew would be zoomed in on, would be imported in a much high resolution, whereafter one could use the effects editor to zoom out to full size, then zoom in to a detail, without it being very pixelated. Liquid was brilliant at this and I regularly handled imnages up to 7000 pixels wide.

I cantø see if this is possible in Avid, it appears that the image, when imported, is always reduced to the project raster size on it longest side, so any subsequent zooming - espeically when handling images that don't match the landscape 16:9 format - will suffer from resolution degradation.

Any suggestions or better ideas of how to handle this in Avid (8.5.3) would be welcome?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:28 PM In reply to

Re: Importing photos/graphics with a higher resolution than the project

The effect/technique you're looking for is the Pan & Zoom effect, which allows you to bring in images at their full resolution. There are about a zillion tutorials and guides on the web about how to use it. The effect can be difficult to get at first, so I'd suggest having a look at a few of them.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:38 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 17,780

A workaround I frequently use is to switch the resolution of my project to something larger than I'm using, import the stills at that higher resolution, switch back down and use frameflex to do my moves.

I'm aware of the drawbacks, but in most cases it's more than adequate.  (For more complex or precise stuff -- it's over to After Effects.)

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 1:46 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,535

Thanks again to all who replied - I have seen a few tutorials on this and it seems logical, but netiher tutorial referred to the actual image import process - does on need to import the image in a particualr way to be able to apply a subsequent pan and zoom effect?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 3:35 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    does on need to import the image in a particualr way to be able to apply a subsequent pan and zoom effect?

No, the initial import is just a placeholder to use as a reference when you're applying the effect to the high-res image. In short, it goes:

1. Apply P&Z effect to any video clip on the timeline. It doesn't matter what it is. (It may even work on filler, but I can't remember for sure and I'm not in front of a machine to play with it.)

2. In effects mode, point the effect to the high-resolution image. This is the step where you choose the high-resolution image you want to use.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 21 2019 3:45 PM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 339
    • Points 4,455

Images for Pan & Zoom don't need to be imported, they are referenced and need to be kept in the same place on a computer at all times.

Some users, myself included, do import the images in the normal way and insert them on the Timeline so that it's easy to view the image name/number if required.

The P&Z effect is then added on a filler track directly above the imported image.

Here's one of the many Tutorials explaining the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dRxw2PfhE

Here's another, longer, one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItn21jnJs4&t=0s&list=PLCD65D3F80915B431&index=84

Added: Looks as though Carl and I were typing at the same time. Geeked

Gerry

MC 2020.06, Win 10 Pro(1909), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPU(Studio Driver 451.77),Samsung 850 Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 22 2019 9:12 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,535

Thanks for all the good replies on this topic - it was easy to work out once I had your pointers to start with. Though I must admit, it does seem a cack-handed way of handling the task - being able to import larger images direct to a bin and to the timeline, and then manipulate with effects is in my humble opinion much easier on the brain. And if FAST could get it to work in 1999 on a Dual Pentium 3 500MHz set up, I'm sure todays platforms could handle it :)

But I have run a little experiment, importing an image direct to project raster size, laying it on the timeline, and then doing the same image the pan and zoom way, setting the size to only the project raster - in my opinion the second method gives better results, even though with both routes the original 3500+ pixels image is sized down. So Pan and Zoom effect is also doing something that makes a better interpolation, even whgen its not panning and zooming :)

Adrian Redmond

• Tue, Jan 22 2019 10:45 PM In reply to

I would like to know which Pan & Zoom filter you decided to use for your experiment... and how you brought in the file, Link or Legacy Import and if so, which settings.?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 23 2019 5:57 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,905

I've been following this. Why wouldn't you use AvidFX/BorisRED? It's fast and easy to import higher res images and create keyframes with various path behaviors. Bit of a render hog, but otherwise mmy goto for the "Ken Burns" effect clients like to ask for...like he invented it. :) 

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Fri, Jan 25 2019 10:58 PM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 412
    • Points 5,135

This plug-in is made for hi-res images.

Easy to use with great results. It's called Moving Pictures:

http://www.stagetools.com/

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller