Latest post Fri, Jan 18 2019 3:56 AM by DStone. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 17 2019 10:00 PM

• Kynrois
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 15 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

AVID 2018.5.0 - Logging Comments Column

I was a logger usng AVID in 2014, and I remember using the comments column without a limit to how much text you could write. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, maybe we used subclips, but that seems wrong.

I am logging using comments column & I can't see what I write anymore. I type it out but what I type doesn't save. It's a BIG issue, but I can't find any workarounds online.

Any ideas?

I would add screenshots if AVID let me....Hmm

• Thu, Jan 17 2019 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: AVID 2018.5.0 - Logging Comments Column

In the past i had found that adding a comments column to a new bin from the bins view column menu did not allow me to type in  comments.

My workaround was that I add the Comments column to a new bin by using the Capture/ logger tool and adding a comment in ths tool. 
    It is not overly obvious to me how to access this function when I do not have a deck connected when setting ithe capture/logger tool up.  It worked for me just now by adding an in an out timecode  setting the bin giving the fictious clip a name and comment.

Making another bin by duplicating the bin with a valid Comments column allows comments to work in the duplicated bin

Once I had established the comments column this way in a bin I can just type comments in this column for other clips. Tested this process just now with MC 2018.12.

Alayne

• Thu, Jan 17 2019 11:07 PM In reply to

• Kynrois
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 15 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 240

Thanks for the reply, Alayne.

I'm able to get the comments column, my issue is that the column runs out of space for me to write comments. I end up getting to about 20 mins into the footage and anything extra I type is not saved.

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 1:50 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,599
    • Points 46,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Could you please clarify what you mean by running out of space? How much text are you trying to add? I think the comment field is only about 255 characters wide.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 3:25 AM In reply to

Not sure of your workflow to get to this issue.

Assuming you have a long clip that you want comments addded to you may consider Markers. With the clip in the source Window you can add Markers on the fly with comments as you play back.
    Each marker can have 255(?) characters.
    When you have finished with the clip you can open its Markers page.  Modify any comments reqired. Double click on the marker to take your TPI to that markers location in the source clip.
    When editing from that clip you can move to previous or next marker (if you have these mapped to your KB)  
    You can print out the markers page. (not that usefull if you have long comments as the print function has no layout adjustments so the info spreads over multiple pages)

I think your issue with uploading images is specific to the forum you posted in here.    Community Issues and Suggestions 

Alayne

• Fri, Jan 18 2019 3:56 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,599
    • Points 46,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Please see this post for how to upload and display images in the forum:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/185487.aspx

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller