Latest post Wed, Sep 2 2020 4:18 PM by Vilem. 152 replies.
Page 7 of 11 (153 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 12:55 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Titler+ - The good, the not-so-good and the ugly...

Roger Shufflebottom:

What's daft is that when they first included NewBlue Titler as a stopgap, I hated it. But then it improved, I got to like it (and did tutorials for my students) but then they pulled it. It is a much better product than Titler Plus. Maybe they should bite the bullet and licence it from NewBlue? It wouldn't be the first time they have integrated a 3rd-party product.

The majority of people said they wanted an integrated titler.

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 1:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,380
    • Points 233,240
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Dave for jumping in here......    Terry - no gag order here.... I just wanted dave to read and see the comments and interject here.  The titler is getting better and I expect it will over time but we are were we are.....  

Dave will continue to read these comments and funnel the info back to the developers working on that area of the app.

Thanks and keep the comments coming...

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 1:42 PM In reply to

Dave, thanks for responding.   But the answers are still vague...

Dave Avid PM:
    The Avid Title tool was written with older technology and it was more work to make it work with 4K,

So you are saying it was less work to upgrade the entire MC program to work with 4K but it was too much work to upgrade the Title Tool?  Confused

Dave Avid PM:
    we could not address some of the items that customers were asking, like 4K support, in context titling, quick title creation

Titler+ has failed in this regard, especially with quick title creation.   It is actually faster to round trip in/out of Photoshop than using Titler+.

Dave Avid PM:
    After years of work you would have ended up with the same titler but only allowed to work in 4K.

...which would have been perfectly fine for the vast majority of cases where a quick, fast, reliable title was needed.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 2:24 PM In reply to

Well, the integration idea has dismally failed in that we spend too much time very carefully picking and clicking our way around the interface which does slow down the whole thing. The utterly simple notion in the old TT of entering some text then hitting Escape on the keyboard to select a text object before tweaking the parameters has been thrown out. The first time I used T+ and hit Escape - oops it's the Source monitor :-(. It has got a load of interesting features but ...

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 2:46 PM In reply to

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 20 2011
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 85
    • Points 1,080

Dave

Thanks for stepping in to take our feedback.  It's a relief to know there's someone listening now.   I'd say the first stumbling block for me is that selecting text is so hit and miss.  So far this is has led to me being frustrated and turning to other means.   I know there was a post once about clicking once, twice etc for different selections, but it doesn't seem to be consistent from what I can tell.   If selecting text was more intuitive then I would feel more confident about delving into the other features of the tool.

Almost every other text software I know, allows you to select text by dragging the mouse across it.   Is this not possible to achieve in Avid?

AVID 2019.12 on HP Z820 MT XEON, 2GhZ, 32GB, Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Crucial SSD Hard Drive with several WD Blacks for media. TMPGEnc 7 for encoding... [view my complete system specs]

New Template
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 3:46 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,870

Dave Avid PM:

Roger Shufflebottom:

What's daft is that when they first included NewBlue Titler as a stopgap, I hated it. But then it improved, I got to like it (and did tutorials for my students) but then they pulled it. It is a much better product than Titler Plus. Maybe they should bite the bullet and licence it from NewBlue? It wouldn't be the first time they have integrated a 3rd-party product.

I believe the majority of people say they would like an integrated character generator that WORKS! That was the Title Tool, Integrated in MC if not in the Effects Editor), limited as it is, but it is definitely not the inconsistent, unintuitive beast known as Titler+. And really, you introduced this two years ago, and it's still far from ready for prime time. 

Please, less excuses and more robust titling!

Avid MC 2020.6 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 4:13 PM In reply to

bonang:

Dave Avid PM:

Roger Shufflebottom:

I believe the majority of people say they would like an integrated character generator that WORKS! That was the Title Tool, Integrated in MC if not in the Effects Editor), limited as it is, but it is definitely not the inconsistent, unintuitive beast known as Titler+. And really, you introduced this two years ago, and it's still far from ready for prime time. 

Please, less excuses and more robust titling!

Not making excuses.  Not sure where you got that from.  The initial post here is very helpful and well thought out. It's a great way to provide feedback.  Thanks.-- Dave

• Fri, Jul 17 2020 4:43 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,380
    • Points 233,240
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Bonang et al.....

Dave getting up here is a HUGE thing and I want to remind everyone to be helpful and constructive in the feedback provided. Everyone on here including the Avid peeps are human so it is easy to get traction with professional comments than negative ones.  

Dave has been getting the feedback and *I* asked him to jump on to help me and he did. he is also working with his team to ensure the comments get absorbed.

Thanks in advance..... as I want to be able to rely on him and kate when we need them.

marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 17 2020 6:05 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 493
    • Points 5,790

Hello Marianna,

I think a roadmap of features and dates would be a good option for the Avid Titler+. Also how far did you get with the Font familty bug investigation on an estimated fix?

MCCET-3435 OPEN TYPE font from GENERAL COLLECTION

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 18 2020 11:03 AM In reply to

• Simon_h
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 20 2011
    • Cambridge, UK
    • Posts 85
    • Points 1,080

Marianna

I take this fully on board.   As someone who has posted negative comments in the past, a large part of my frustration has been that Avid did not appear to be listening or to care about the negative feedback for a very long time.   But Dave coming on board is great.  

What form of feedback is likely to be most useful?  Happy to co-operate as fully as needed to help get this right.

AVID 2019.12 on HP Z820 MT XEON, 2GhZ, 32GB, Windows 10, Nvidia Quadro 2000, Crucial SSD Hard Drive with several WD Blacks for media. TMPGEnc 7 for encoding... [view my complete system specs]

New Template
  • Sat, Jul 18 2020 6:37 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,960

I'd  love to help as well, I'm kinda retired and I'm bored...looking for something to do. I offered some 15 years ago to fly somebody down for 2 days to DC and I'd put them up to go over Inscriber at my expense. No takers. (I pasted this into the forum site from Word and I'm noticing on the copy I was sent on email has a lot of words slammed next to each other without a space, sorry) 

One thing I miss from Inscriber is that one could create vertical bounding lines, usually 5 lines, but you can easily add more. (and horizontal) Typically there's a center line/justify centered, far left/justified left, far right/etc, then a left line midway between the left and the center. Then you tab your word to a bounding line and assign justify properties on a per word or per line basis. When you hit a KB shoortcut it would "un-constrain" the line/word to be freely dragged. Then CTL+ATL and it would go back to “sticking” to one of the vertical guides L,C,R, or "constrain to tab", you can cycle through the bounding lines with TAB. (Newblue kinda does allow you to create lines, but they’re really hard to manage for some reason). So say on the far left you attach bullets to that line and then move over bounding line 2 to the left of center close to the line of bullets and justify left the text to that 2nd bounding line. MOST OF ALL... there were always coordinates in an interface to the left of the project window for each asset. So I could place lines and make sure they are 15 pixels apart, and 60 pixels from the left, or 20 pixels from the bullet. And then you could reduce the leading on two-line sentences. With a KB shortcut you could assign the top line of text so when you reduce the leading 5 pixels - everything below it moves up 5 pixels accordingly. Or you can un-constrain from tab and when you adjust the leading every item below stays in place. In other programs you pretty much have to eyeball placement, or really struggle to keep everything aligned. So say you have a five line build, you would set actions to bring in each line, say a 10 frame push from offscreen left and you can set the time it holds, just like a GPI trigger, to bring in each line according to the timing. All the jobs pages lived in a film strip container on the left, which was of more of a benefit in the linear days, but it is nice to have in your NLE. Boris Red’s timeline allows you to do something similar with keyframes, just not as elegant as to how Inscriber did it.

These are basic word processor style sheet set-ups that should be carried over to a character generator. (My explanation is more complicated than what I could mock-up if this is unclear.) But in the industrial/government/corporate market I’ve often felt many times we were doing glorified PowerPoints, very expensive power point.

There's also a very productive logo creation tool which lets you bring in 32 bit logos and convert to B/W  or invert, within the program. Logos and draw objects also can be manipulated just as the text can, so in the example above if everything is constrained to tab and you move up, the logo moves with the text. You can assign layers and lock to protect areas you don't want mucked with. You could create background, and then if you make a change it would flow to each "chicklet" or title screen playlist on the left. So you could have client logo, lower 3rd background on layer 1 and text on 2. If the client changes the BG, make the change and it flows across all. NewBlue tries to do this with their "shared" pages (TP5) and if you forget to un-share a screen it will get "sucked" up into one you have for the job or you can unshare so each title is autonomous, also not ideal when changes are made. So I'd like to be able to not change everything like the size of the box behind a person’s name, which I could place on layer 2, with only layer 1 that is common/shared and changes are made globally. In TP5 I’m pretty sure other than the name everything changes if in a shared file. I’ve done this without un-checking shared and made a mess of my lower 3rds making the box behind the name change globally, when it really shouldn’t.

Speaking of logos, with primitives you could assign properties like a bevel edge, soft-drop shadow etc. You could texture map your client logo or art to a box and either map it all constrained within the size of the box, or don't constrain the logo so you would only see a section of it. You can also use typical filters to apply the logo texture map whereas it’s full on, or 35% logo opacity, Dissolve, or Subtract Linear etc. like PS..so one can use it as a tie in to their logo as a design element. So you could easily create nice pages beyond just text within the CG program and not need to go out to Photoshop. 

For each title you can save it out as a .PNG and also layout files, .SLY, which contains all the metadata and can easily be loaded to be altered within your show. And you could save your entire job in layout format for easy editing, individually or global.

It’s been 15+ years but these were some of the key issues. I wish we could get a copy of Inscriber so we could see some of its other functions which make it such a great titler. The last version I had was from Harris I think circa 2005 and it was an AVX1 plug-in. It busted with the advent of AVX2.

Inscriber also had a very nice manual, something I know we’re all frustrated with TP and T+. NewBlue seems to rely on video tutorials, which may or may not have the answer and it’s a big waste of time watching how-to videos in a session (with client over shoulder) vs. having a good help file or manual.

I’d love to help in anyway I can. I found this video on YouTube, there’s also some stills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2iPtyNNLM

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Mon, Jul 20 2020 9:46 AM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,220

Fazz Powell:

I'd  love to help as well, I'm kinda retired and I'm bored...looking for something to do. I offered some 15 years ago to fly somebody down for 2 days to DC and I'd put them up to go over Inscriber at my expense. No takers. (I pasted this into the forum site from Word and I'm noticing on the copy I was sent on email has a lot of words slammed next to each other without a space, sorry) 

One thing I miss from Inscriber is ...

+ 1.000.000 Yes

Now we are talking titles! Big Smile

Yesterday morning I took my +15 years old workstation from under the dust. I got it running for the first time in years, and "BAM" there it was; Incriber TitleMotion Pro. I felt immediately back home after all this time. A Character Generation window, an FX window and the Logo Compose screen all in one hell of an application. Oh boy those were the days!

If I compare this almost 20 years old software with the current title plug-ins like: NewBlueFX Titler Pro, Boris Title Studio, Boris RED (AKA Avid FX), Boris Graffiti, VisDOM VisTitle, then I have to conclude that Inscriber was already lightyears ahead back then in the late 90’s. None of the current plug-ins has so much opportunities.

Inscriber's user interface was so logical and easy to use. If you ever used Inscriber, you know what I’m talking about. How can it be that titler applications of today are far worse?

if we only could get back such a fantastic titler into Avid. Resolution independent. HD, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K and beyond. I know it’s overkill for simple titles, but still.

It also had a very nice and understandable user guide. For the ones who are interested in a good old user manual, here is a link to it.

http://www.accessavnh.com/custom-1/Title%20Motion%20Manual.pdf

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 20 2020 2:31 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,960

Can I get an amen brother! Ah man, I'd love to see that. And that manual rocked! NewBlue should get a copy of that to see how its done. 

Nobody commented so I thought I might have gone too far here, but seriously its an amazing program....apparently because nobody's done anything anygood sinse. I blew thousands on Marquee and Type Deko seats. And in fact I had just bought Inscriber for AVX1 when Avid went to AVX2 and the Inscriber plug-in didn't get ported to AVX2 by Harris. (I think they owned it then)

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Mon, Jul 20 2020 7:53 PM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,220

NewBlueFX isn't interested in creating such a decent user manual. I complained to them about this, and lot more in 2014.

After using Pinnacle TitleDeko, Boris Grafitti, Boris Title Studio, Boris RED, Avid FX, NewBlueFX Title Pro Ultimate, proDAD Heroglyph, Sony ES-3 CG I can say with confidence that there is nothing out there like the former Inscriber character generators. It all worked so smooth and was thoughtout very well. No need to fiddle around opening menus for centering a title. Just press ALT+C and there you go. Centered!

Here are some photos I took with my phone yesterday. The quality is not the best. I have no possibility to take screenshots as I don't have Photoshop installed.

The box from TitleMotion. I have upgraded from Inscriber CG to TitleMotion and then to TitleMotion Pro. The CG window (F6) Template Manager (CG Layouts) Logo Compose window (F8) FX Editor (Shift+F6)
    (Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 21 2020 10:16 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Paris
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,650

Hello all,

It has been a year and a half since my original post, and I’m very glad that it has gathered some traction both amongst fellow users and within Avid from Dave, Kate and the watchful eye of (Super)Marianna as well !

It is great, this is what this forum is about !

I have not looked at Titler + since my first post, and I’m coming back looking at the version shipped with 2020.6.  My reactions in chronological order:

i) Well it’s a little better…….

ii) Hang on.  That’s weird…..

iii) It’s still not usable… well not really…

iv) Let’s try to create some rolling end-credits… can’t….

v) Install Legacy components.  Glad I’m not on Catalina.

I will expand on this later.  Marianna – yes it is fantastic to have Dave and Kate onboard, but as for suppressing negativity I don’t completely agree – something is seriously wrong and part of the solution is admitting there is a problem.  Yes everyone must be respectful and constructive, and having worked in large corporations in the past as a software developement engineer, I am more than aware that things are often more complex than one would think – a problem with one element could be due to decisions, for example of lack of funding, higher up… there are constraints and even with best project managers and developers in the world… if there are problems upstream it won’t work.. I don’t know where the problem is here, I point no fingers, but something is very much up somewhere for this feature to be in this state after all this time. I digress….

I understand the frustration from users.  This is my take :  Avid is the world-leader in NLEs. It is presently in my opinion unsurpassed, both in functionality, reliability and operability in complex workflows.  As a Avid user for the last 20 years, I know that with Avid I can get the job done.  Whatever happens.  Yet now, if I have to replace my present equipment, I will immediately lose essential functionality (new Macs ship with Catalina…).  The underlying API (the OS-app interface) that the legacy Title tool uses on Macs known as Carbon and specifically Quickdraw has been deprecated for a long while now… Avid waited until the last moment to update it.  And now almost 2 years on, it is still not up to scratch.  Personally, having to spend 428 euros a year (that incidentally I cannot claim on expenses, and with last year’s price hike… ) for support for my perpetual dongle licence (i.e. I have already significantly invested in the past), I expect more.  This post will take probably the best part of 1-2 hours to complete – as such I am GIVING support to Avid, and paying for it… Which I do as an Avid user and for my fellow users, as it the tool I use on a daily basis.  Now, as a beta-tester or consultant for a product there is typically a reciprocal arrangement in my experience (at least a complimentary licence, bug reports take time for the tester and represent value for the developer).  Presently I use Avid support solely for bug reports, when I have the time to complete them.  So to see titler+ in this state after 18 months…from the world-leader with 30+ years experience in the field..  I am… well… a little annoyed…. The user research and testing should have been done way upstream – not in a released product – I still have the impression of testing an experimental feature in early alpha.  Having got that off my chest….

A basic title tool is not rocket science.  But it does need some thought.

The impression I have is of someone taking existing application constraints (APIs, SDKs etc.) and trying to fit a tool within this framework.  Yet development should be approached differently.  Typical use cases, analysis of existing UI paradigms, competing products and user expectation, and design of an ergonomic UI.  Require changes to APIs if needed (eg. within the AVX2 API) to add functionality.  Something seems fundamentally wrong with the new titler.  I get the impression that is has not properly been tested (managed to break it in 5min).   Many of the comments above mention that the interface is counter-intuitive.  I wholeheartedly agree.  It should just work.  The comments should not be about finding a way to get to work.

My expectations (for documentary and long-form fiction) :

i) A basic titler that will allow me to do at least what I could with the Title Tool.  Lower thirds (several text regions, justified with soft shadow, 0 offset), together optionally with graphical element typically imported as a matte key.   For opening credits, lower thirds, simple full frame titles.

ii) Rolling end credits, that I can copy-paste from a word document, and readily format, ideally with the possibility of a two column format via tabs (first column, right justified, second column left), and sections that are centred.  Possibility to incorporate logos.  Easy modification of the roll speed. Ideally the possibility to optionally specify fixed per-frame vertical displacement and add motion blur to ensure a smooth flicker free rendering with difficult fonts.

iii)  Complete support for Unicode.

iv)  Identical rendering on a Mac and a PC given that the same font is installed (tricky because of ‘font shadowing’ that can occur on a PC) – (one way to at least warn users would be to store metrics (or a hash thereof) – and compare on opening)

v). (nice to have…) A means of exporting/importing all titles on a track as text as you can with Subcap.  For production reports, translations etc. eg:

01:01:00:00 01:01:06:00

@1 This is the first text object

The second line….

@2 This is the second text object

Etc…

What I find: i) sort-of works… but UI dreadful, slow, clunky and not intuitive, ii) completely unusable.  iii) seems to be the case iv) not tested, v) (feature request)

My UI woes:

i) For something as basic as a title tool, if it needs a manual or tutorials the UI is flawed.  Full-stop.  95% of the functionality should be accessible by intuition and through the expectation present in anyone that has used photoshop, word, or the old Title tool, not to mention Premiere or other NLEs…  The manual is for the remaining 5% (but looking at the online help this is woefully inadequate).  Which leads to…

ii). It still doesn’t behave as expected.  When you select text, you expect it to be highlighted as behave as selected text not as a series of selected glyphs.  Caret should flash.  Should highlight the text, and display glyph bounding boxes only if a modifier key is pressed (eg. Alt).  I rarely need the possibility to change the size of individual letters, move or rotate them.  But I should be able to select text and modify properties (font size, weight, leading, kerning).  I don’t have the impression I’m dealing with text, but with rather with rendered glyphs.  Add the possibility to rotate when close to the corners (on the corners resize, a bit further the pointer changes to a curved double pointed arrow and allows a rotation as in photoshop)

iii)  I should be able to define text areas with wrap-around – If I enlarge the bounding box I don’t expect the text to increase in size, the font-size lets me do that.  Or at least give me the choice – drag -> increase text zone size – Alt-drag -> resize.

iv)  The tool palette and the effect editor.  This is a big one.  In the tool palette we have tools and properties for the selected object(s).  It should appear automatically when a title is opened for editing (effect mode).  Minimal actions should be in the effect editor given the presence of the tool palette – this is the place for properties (potentially keyframed) that directly affect the result.  We have a curious mixture of defaults (at the top), the current object (layer) – this is overly complicated.  We need global properties at the top (global position, crop, opacity, rotation, type of title – static, roll, crawl, possibly global font etc unless overridden), then properties for the contained objects (all of them). Object defaults should be clearly named as such, and placed at the bottom.

v)  Forget the concept of layers.  They are objects or compound objects if grouped. The idea of layers adds nothing.  Objects can be z-ordered, so we can send backward and forward as already present in the Object menu in the menu bar…

vi)  Resize constraint defaults – On text by default proportionally scale, on circles and rectangles, proportionally scale when shift is pressed.

vii)  The load/save default icons (up down arrows with a circle) are badly designed -> they do not convey the action they represent. 

Basically, still the impression that it has not been thought through from a user perspective, but rather from concatenated non-prioritised non-hierarchised feature inclusion.  Structure is primordial in UI design.  As is user expectation and UI affordance.

How to break titler+ 2020.6 – a few examples in a few easy steps J :

i)  Create a title with a couple of text elements.

ii)  Select an item.

iii)  In the effect editor, Edit, Clear all to clear the selection.  Oups it doesn’t clear the selection (even though everything else in the list changes the selection !) – it gets rid of everything !  (The Edit element in the effect editor should be in the context menu and in the menu bar, not in the effect editor). Bad choice of words : Clear all -> clear selection.  Should be Delete all objects.  The word delete makes you think twice.

iv)  So we do a Cmd+Z to undo… but it doesn’t work !

v)  Try to create new text objects : impossible.  Only way to continue : remove the effect and start afresh.

Or,

i)  I want to create a simple rolling title.  So I create a Titler+ effet the select Effect/Roll.

ii)  I try to add text objects… can’t.

iii)  Game over.  Can’t for the life of me get rolling titles to work for end credits.

On one occasion I created a title, and each time a clicked on the record monitor, it moved to the right until finally it went off screen !…. can’t reproduce on a fresh title….

Or things that don’t break but don’t work as expected,

i)   I want to centre two text elements I’ve created horizontally and vertically in the frame.  Try to select two elements, with shift, with cmd, nothing works.

ii)  ‘Justification’ in the effect editor works on one element (this is also misplaced, should be in the context menu and menu bar, not in the effect editor).   Nothing selected  -> it does nothing.  Nothing in the UI hints to a dependency on the selection.

iii)  I/O and select track.  Right-click Add/Edit Title.. a dialog box appears inviting me to create a new title.  Click OK… then an error, can’t create new title.  But if I do a Tools/Avid Titler+ instead of Add/Edit Title… it works….  

iv)  You would expect the Object menu in the menu bar to work… all is greyed out.

v)  Each text object should have its own line in the effect editor.  Font, face, underline, edge, shadow should be under Global.

vi)  Escape when editing text should first exit text editing. Only the second escape should switch to source (someone else in the thread noticed this).

The list goes on….

I have never used inscriber, it sounds great – a few caveats to be aware of in my opinion.  Having a one-size fits all titler is possibly a little ambitious.  In my opinion:

i)  We need at least a usable replacement for the Title tool with at least equivalent functionality + Unicode, with integration in the MC UI.  This is not the case at present

ii)  Licensing 15-year-old software has its own problems – UIs, APIs, software infrastructure and expectations have changed since.  Eg. Unicode support.  Opentype support.  Cross-platform equivalence.  Probably not a good idea to incorporate what is already legacy software.  But to be inspired by it, why not.

iii)   Being realistic, I think we need baby-steps: first a basic titler that works, more advanced features in a second version….Titler++….  But the foundations need to be solid.  At present they are not.

It has been 18 months and the quibbles (to understate…) are close to what I brought up in the original post.  I have the impression that testing is done by the developers who know the sequence expected by the software, yet software breaks when unforeseen routes are taken. And development is painfully slow.

It is important that the powers-that-be in Avid realise the importance that something as basic as a title tool has on the product – it deserves the resources in terms of development and testing.  Presently it is a show-stopper, if not a catastrophe….  I spoke to someone who runs a post-house here in Paris, key clients are primarily long-form TV documentary productions.  Having a usable Title tool is essential in this line of business – as a result they are holding off upgrading MC to 2020.6 and are staying on 2018.12.x (dissuading clients from using Titler+) on OS 10.14.x until this gets sorted out (the absence of QT same-as-source (no re-encoding) with UME and overall stability are other reasons).  This means also no new Mac acquisition – new macs are shipped with Catalina… i.e. no Title tool.

Really hope it improves radically in the near future.

Janusz

MC 2018.12 / OS 10.12.6 + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
Page 7 of 11 (153 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller