Latest post Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:45 AM by Tom Pearson. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 21 2006 7:13 PM In reply to

• dun4cheap
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • San Diego
    • Posts 2,013
    • Points 25,500

Re: Two dilemmas??

Locked Contact
    CurtRaymond:

Tomas, what that says is correct "surround sound monitoring via a USB-2 connection" you can hear the surround sound out. Nowhere there does it say you can capture in surround.

Curt, being able to capture input from the spdif (digital input) would imply the ability to capture the surround audio. The additional verbage stating you can monitor Dolby Surround would then re-support that not only can you capture it but you can then monitor it.

Intel Q6600 Quad COre ATI x4850 PCIE 4 Gig Dual Channel DDR2 1 to 7 Acard 2033s Duplicator with Pioneer Burners with Hard drive Le 6.1 sp2, LE 7.1... [view my complete system specs]

Ed Running AL 7.1 SP1

• Wed, Jun 21 2006 7:18 PM In reply to

• dun4cheap
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 2,013
    • Points 25,500

Locked Contact

The post posted twice so disregard this.

Intel Q6600 Quad COre ATI x4850 PCIE 4 Gig Dual Channel DDR2 1 to 7 Acard 2033s Duplicator with Pioneer Burners with Hard drive Le 6.1 sp2, LE 7.1... [view my complete system specs]

Ed Running AL 7.1 SP1

• Wed, Jun 21 2006 7:46 PM In reply to

Locked Contact

How does monitoring surround audio indicate the box captures surround? You can monitor your surround mix, thats exactly what it says and thats what it does, no doublespeak. You can read what you want into anything but nowhere does it say that the box can capture surround.

• Wed, Jun 21 2006 8:30 PM In reply to

• LewS
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • West Palm Beach, FL
    • Posts 10,277
    • Points 132,650
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Locked Contact

Liquid is only capable of capturing four channels of audio so there is no way it can capture 5.1 surround under any circumstances. It only supports capture of A1-A4 and it can only capture A3-4 from an IEEE source. So as the BOB is only setup to capture 2 channels analog, it is safe to assume it can only capture 2 channels either optical or coaxial. 

The BOB does have audio out for powered speakers to monitor a timeline with a 5.1 surround mix. With 7.1, you can also monitor a 5.1 mix from an appropriate soundcard and speakers.

While I may agree that the description of how the BOB functions is not perfectly clear, it is not incorrect either. No where does it say it can capture more than stereo audio through any inputs.

As there is nothing more constructive to say on this subject, I am going to close this thread.

3.15GHz E8500 CPU, Intel MB w P35 chipset, 4GB memory, Pioneer DVD burner, onboard audio, nVidia Quadro FX1700 512MB , 2TB (4 x 500GB) Raid 0 on Vantec... [view my complete system specs]

LewS

• Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:21 PM In reply to

• jaysonL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 345

"Top 10 Photoshop skills" for an Avid Editor/assistant

I'm putting together a tutorial for some young assists.  I know everyone uses Avid and Photoshop in different capacities depending on the part of the business that you are working in but - What are some of the Photoshop skills that you find essential in your work?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

MC Meridian MC Adrenaline MC Nitris and Xpress Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:32 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: "Top 10 Photoshop skills" for an Avid Editor/assistant

If you don't know what the producer wants to achieve, ask. Then get it done fast and with no more questions. Deliver the finished product with a smile; no disclaimers or explanations.

That's all ten in the top ten list.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, Mar 29 2012 12:38 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Pixel Monkey:

If you don't know what the producer wants to achieve, ask. Then get it done fast and with no more questions. Deliver the finished product with a smile; no disclaimers or explanations.

Can you make this into a tutorial Pixle monkey?  LOL... :-)

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2012 1:09 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780

They already did - 19 years ago Stick out tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWfKoc-MKM 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Blog for Craft Editors

• Thu, Mar 29 2012 2:15 AM In reply to

• jaysonL
    • Not Ranked
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 24
    • Points 345

Pixel Monkey:

At least they took it seriously on the MC/mac side.  Of course we all get that since this is a pro board.   I was just asking for some professional input and instead got someone trying to run up their post count.  

MC Meridian MC Adrenaline MC Nitris and Xpress Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:06 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780

Hi Jayson - Yeah I deserved that. it's been a 22-hour day.

10. Learn Photoshop by never touching the mouse. Keyboard and pen.

9. Learn the fundamental differences between the clone and heal tools. Most people aren't sure.

8. Learn masks. Best way to do so is to download other people's templates and dissect them. Also learn Actions.

7. Older versions of Photoshop are NOT fine. Get the latest version the day it comes out, and learn it within a week.

6. Stand over people quietly and watch what they do. Even the masters learn something new every day.

5. Learn about modes and color levels. They are imperitive for import/exporting the right way. Also learn channels -- I mean really learn them.

4. Look on a cereal box. Look closely. See the small chart with the various colors? What are they? And why are they there? Once you figure that out, you're on your way to becoming an Art Director who creates entire styleguides.

3. Seriously the 3rd most important one out there -- Learn what every single font in your system looks like, to the loint that you can identify them while out in the world -- AND even go so far as to learn how to draw them. Seriously.

2. You are wrong, almost all the time. Your style is to copy others, not to have your own original thought...AND you'll be told so for the first 5 years of your career. If you can survive that, you'll make it as a graphic artist. And then, you'll be telling yourself that every day in order to become freaking awesome at what you do. It's when you can go through all the forthcoming criticism in your head WHILE you are designing something that you'll finally become a master of efficiency and style. 

1. PLAY! Don't read manuals. Don't watch YouTube videos. Don't listen to me or anyone else. Hands-down the best designers, graphic artists, video editors (etc) are the ones that simply can't stop working. Open Photoshop and just start playing. Paint stuff. Mask stuff. Layer things and mess with the opacity. Now Multiply instead of overlay. Erase the eyes and insert paint flecks. Tweak. Erase. Change... yes, 99% will suck. Who cares. Just make stuff. Eventually it'll start working. Then you'll start working. And all of a sudden, you'll be working constantly. Correction -- You've been working constantly and you're finally getting paid for it. 

As you can see, it doesn't matter if Photoshop is used for print or video. If you're paid, you're doing it for both. But if I was to add anything that was video editor specific, it would be to learn the VERY specific import/export sizes of video aspects. Specifically - are you creating a graphic for HD? Well, that doesn't necessarilly mean 1920x1080. Perhaps it was shot with a Panasonic HDX-900, which shoots DVC-ProHD at 960x720 and crossconverts it upon playback. Perhaps it's not NTSC but DV, which is a height difference of 6 pixels. How are those pixels compensated in video? (A hard question for many people to answer.)

OK. Enough. Need sleep. Gotta be working again in 3 hours.

Blog for Craft Editors

• Thu, Mar 29 2012 3:45 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,173
    • Points 23,315

way to much red bull

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller