Latest post Mon, Dec 3 2018 2:15 PM by Matthew Clulow. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 2 2018 7:35 PM

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 12 2018
    • North of Toronto Ontario
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

MC FIRST export resources / Export time

I'm studying MC FIrst with the intent of upgrading to the purhcased version.  So far, I realy like it and I'm about ready to make the move. 

My theory is, if MC First works on this older machine, so will MC Purchase. It's a duel boot machine that already runs an older version of MC and it works fine.

The MCFIRST timeline function and colour edits work well on the alternate BOOT supporting MCFIRST.

Rendering works about the same pace as the older version.

Howver, exporting, even a basic AVID option to the hard drive takes an inordanant amout of time. So far it's 1:30:13 to export a 12 minute, mark-in-to-mark-out part of  timeline. ON this machine, it shouldn't take anywhere near that amount of time.

QUESTION:  What resources does the export process use> Is it the CPU, Video CArd, RAM, or all of the above?

I know this system needs more RAM to run, I am weighing the option of upgrading this machine vs the killer expense of a new AVID certified model.

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1709 OS Build 16299.192INtel Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz 310 GHz8GB Ram - 7.88 usable64 bit x64 based processorDell Optiplex... [view my complete system specs]

Matthew Clulow

• Sun, Dec 2 2018 7:50 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

Re: MC FIRST export resources / Export time

Another thought,  I have always worked with clips from the Cannon XF305 at 50mbps. This timline is using a mix of that with other clips from an FS7M2 @ 1080 /30 XAVC-L

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1709 OS Build 16299.192INtel Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz 310 GHz8GB Ram - 7.88 usable64 bit x64 based processorDell Optiplex... [view my complete system specs]

Matthew Clulow

• Sun, Dec 2 2018 8:08 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en365919?popup=true  

I thnk I answered my one question.  On this page I see a note saying AVC INTRA is CPU intensive.  Thtat may lead to a new machine

Matthew Clulow

• Sun, Dec 2 2018 8:23 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

RE EXPORT TIME:   It appears this export time is related to the fact that it ignored the markin and mark out function and exported the entire timeline to a 45gb QT file.

The workflow is a non-starter until I deal with system resources and find a method of compressing the output for web uploading.

Matthew Clulow

• Mon, Dec 3 2018 9:30 AM In reply to

• tommix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,515

The workflow is a non-starter until I deal with system resources and find a method of compressing the output for web uploading.

Simply export to DNxHD.

• Mon, Dec 3 2018 1:56 PM In reply to

My suggested workflow would be to mixdown the vidoe and audio to a new sequence.

For the video mixdown chose a suitable codec (depending on nthe resolution you need for export)

Then do a same as source export.

Then use an external transcoding application to make H264 or whatever you need from that. The SAS file becomes your Master to archive and keep.

Using the custom option in the export dialogue is impractical as you have discovered.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Dec 3 2018 2:01 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

Thanks Pat. This makes sense. Not sure I saw same-as-source option but I'll have another go at this. 

I was hoping to avoid a lot of extra steps (time is money), but it least it might work.

Matthew Clulow

• Mon, Dec 3 2018 2:15 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

Thx Tommix:  

My comment about workflow goes beyond export, and isn't a relfection on MCFIRST.

My problem begins with the decision to go with an untested camera source, all the way through to the end user display. 

Old AVID won't link or ingest the new camera codec.  So I tried MCFIRST & that part was painless.

The basic edit process with MCFIRST works  better than OLD AVID, so I decided to move forward to NEW AVID rather than transcode the clips to fit OLD AVID.

I'm testing MCFIRST as a midstep toward buying NEW AVIDMC Liscese - my assumption is, if MCFIRST works on this machine then NEW AVIDMC LISCNECE will too. I'm trying to avoid buying a new machine at the moment.

I can export to DNX HD but then my OLD compression software wont read the output file so now I am struggling to adapt to that change ---while the deadline looms large. 

Time is money so I'm looking for the path with the fewest steps.  Change is hard

Matthew Clulow

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller