Latest post Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:01 PM by screenplays. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 25 2018 3:07 PM

Routine for upgranding from MC 5.5 to 8.0

This is a general question about preferences and when to decide to upgarde.

MC 5.5 is on my desktop and I didn't upgrade to 6.0 because I was working on a long term project and didn't want to disturb anything.   I also have MC 8.0 (8.5) on my laptop used it a few times for class or  personal projects.

Now I have a brand new (likely long term) project and I am trying to figure out should I put the MC 8.0 on my desktop, (upgradning OS if needed) It's 10.7.5  Lion now. (or even MC 6.0 on desktop)

All my projects (now completed) were done on MC 5.5 and I'm more familair with it than 8.0. And I have other older software on my desktop (AE/ Pro Tools) I don't want to disturb that either.  I may need access to the MC 5.5 projects in the future.

Considering the switch because the new footage is bigger (2k-4k type) and I figure the new MC would work well, but I don't want to loose all my other projects or upgrade to an OS that will cause problems. Project is for youtube so the 4k output isn't necessary, currently.

Genreal MC 8.0 pros/benefits?

Thanks

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:21 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Re: Routine for upgranding from MC 5.5 to 8.0

Projects are compatible across versions, You may see some old sequences updated when opening them in a newer release. Don't know which dot release You're planning to install, but You can see what's new in the documentation of any given version, the thing is, the what's mostly new refers new feature with respect to the previous version, there's been quite a few releases beteween MC 5.5 and MC 8.x, and I do not know if there's a document that keeps track of incremental changes, You'll have to search the knowledge base and investigate. Along time, other than bug fixes and AMA refinements, the menu system is quite changed, You'll have to get used to it again, and keep the MC 8 readme handy to find Your way around the software till You get familiar with the new menu system.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:08 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,922
    • Points 21,200
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Moved to MC for Mac section.

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 2 2018 12:27 PM In reply to

• Sun, Dec 2 2018 1:10 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 754
    • Points 8,905

@screenplays: if this is the question:

screenplays:
    Genreal MC 8.0 pros/benefits?

The shortest answer is it will support these larger formats you're about to receive.

Since you're upgrading from a signficantly older environment, it's hard to cover the best upgrade path for your situation without some consulting.

If you're interested in seeing what I could do, click the [Contact] button, email me, and we can do a discovery session over the phone or FaceTime. Thank you!

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:01 PM In reply to

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller