Latest post Sun, Nov 18 2018 10:35 PM by denniscasey. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 17 2018 8:26 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Any Unintended Consequences if I Don't Renew Perpetual License?

As "advanced hobbyist" editor I was happy with Avid Liquid, but migrated to Media Composer when Avid pulled plug on Liquid and as they occasionally do made "an offer I could not refuse." So for several years I kept renewing my $299 perpetual license but not doing much editing due to other interests. Now I am thinking of not renewing this year and just staying with latest version I have installed (2018.9).

My understanding is that 2018.9 will remain fully functional as will Symphony I have installed (although I just bought it last year because of bargain $99).  I did see on another Avid forum where people had some difficulties in this regard due to not keeping Application Manager or something current and I do wonder about getting any support from Avid if needed (can I buy a support plan?).  Although truth be known these forums and Marianna have been my go to technical support.

Also I note Avid seems to be trying to move people to subscription plan (i.e. 40% "deal" on MC Ultimate if you move from perpetual plan to subscription) from perpetual license.

Basically I would appreciate comments regarding what problems I would face in future or have overlooked in terms of using the current version of MC I have installed in the future. 

Thank you, Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 17 2018 9:04 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Re: Any Unintended Consequences if I Don't Renew Perpetual License?

Of course I suppose product life cycles could get shorter and shorter such that MC2018.9 (as example) could lose Avid support sooner than when one actually owned software. 

If I do renew perpetual license plan I guess I had better be really careful to ensure I retain perpetual license plan and don't accidentally get a "subscription" plan.  Given poor product knowledge from some Avid licensed resellers I have dealt with (resellers at least are easily accessible vs Avid sales) is there an Avid product code I should be sure to get to ensure I was sold a perpetual license?  Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 18 2018 4:31 PM In reply to

You can stick with 2018.9 but you need to be sure your hardware and OS don't get upgraded beyond the support of that MC version. Also in the future if you computer is nolonger functional can you build a new one and install an OS that meets the requirements of 2018.9?

Itn sounds to be that the monthly subscripion may suit you better? just pay as you use.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Nov 18 2018 10:35 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Thank you for comments, Pat. Also brought up another thought in line with your comments: I currently have two versions of MC installed--an old MC version installed on older desktop computer (did most of my editing on this computer and MC version) and a new MC version installed on newer workstation type laptop (at one time I envisioned a lot of traveling with "on site" editing).  I deactivate/activate one at a time (I still make changes to "old" projects and kept them on older MC on older desktop).  I wonder if I can keep using both versions (one at a time of course) if I let my perpetual license lapse?

And I guess if I do keep updating MC I may reach a version that will require cost of new technology computer.  I like MC software, and the $299 is not breaking the bank but right now seems a waste of money given my new interests outside of video editing.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller