Latest post Wed, Nov 14 2018 4:58 PM by Michael Buday. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:28 AM

Animated Matte Key Over Live Video

I'm attempting something that is extremely simple, but I'm struggling on AVID to achieve:

1) I have an animated graphic I created in After Effects w/alpha channel

2) Imported to AVID, which creates a MATTE KEY clip

3) Dropped the clip onto an UPPER TRACK, and it keys through nicely, as expected over the clips on the track below

4) Because the animated GFX has pauses built in that I want to shorten, I divide it into THREE clips and trim as required to get the desired timing. So now I have THREE MATTE KEY clips

5) Now I want to smoothly RESIZE the animation (of the three clips) over LIVE video on the track below. To do this, I SUBMASTER the three clips, which now appear as ONE SUBMASTER CLIP.

This is where I hit a snag. I thought I could apply an IMAGE RESIZE or 3D effect on the SUBMASTER, apply my simple 2 keyframe move and have entire animation slowy resize over live video. Well, the RESIZE or 3D aspect works great - however, the LIVE VIDEO on the track below is ALSO resizing, which I don't want. I want the track below to be unaffected, except for the KEY of the animation over top of it. I know AVID deals with compositing in reverse from common logic, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to NOT have the track below affected by the RESIZE of a MATTE KEY. I've tried everything, looked at tutorials, but I'm stuck. I know there MUST be a simple solution, but so far . . nada. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Michael

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 12:21 PM In reply to

Re: Animated Matte Key Over Live Video

Avid's compositing model behaves like a live switcher. The output of effect A (two shots) is now handled as a single element.

You'd need a third party plugin to process, separate the matte and then reunite the elements. I'd use a Boris BCC effect to do this; there's a switch called "Apply to Title Matte."  And when you use whichever BCC effect (I think it's called transform), it's crucial you do not alt-drag (don't autonest.)

No, this isn't intuitive.

Best,

Jeff G

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 4:58 PM In reply to

Re: Animated Matte Key Over Live Video

Ugh, I was afraid you'd say that ;-)

I think it will be much easier to do the entire "comp" in AE, and bring the comp'd clip back into AVID. I prefer not to in case I need to change timing again (I always prefer to do as much as I can inside the edit system, avoiding roundtrips, etc.), but it seems like it's the best path for now.

Thank you Jeff.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller