Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:38 PM by luca.mg. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 29 2018 12:04 PM

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 5 2010
    • Posts 37
    • Points 475

Help needed, re-importing files

Hi,

I experimented a wreck with my external harddisk. All the material vanished. Luckily I have all the original files from camera left. I also have sequence recovered from Attic. But my problem is:
    I have a sequence MediaOffline. When I decompose the sequence I have all the clips separately visible at the bin. But when I try to re-import them Avid needs me to point every single clip separately in re-import. My clips were originally transcoded from AVC-INTRA100 to DNXHD120. So the offline clips have extension .new01.

Is there any way that I could have all the clips re-imported without have to point every single clip separately to Avid?

Many thanks,

JaMa

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 9:18 PM In reply to

• vamvax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Greece
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,155

Re: Help needed, re-importing files

Hello. So, I guess in the beginning, before your drive crashed, you AMA linked the original files and then converted them to DNxHD120, right?

If that's the case, then you have to AMA link the original files again in as many bins as you like, select all your AMA linked clips (ctr+A in each bin) then right click your sequence and select relink.

On the relink settings choose "relink to selected clips in all open bins", the on the source name select "Tape Name or Source file name", click ok and the your sequence should relink to the AVC-INTRA AMA clips without you needing to decompose it. And then if you want to convert your footage to DNxHD120 you just do it directly from the AMA linked clips and then relink the sequence to the converted clips the same way.

Hope it works out!

Yiannis

Avid Media Composer [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 31 2018 9:02 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

If the original project is lost recreate a project with the very same name (case sensitive), redo whatever You did in the first place, either import or link and transcode/consolidate the footage. If the original project is still available just import or link and transcode/consolidate the footage.The sequence should come back online by itself, if not relink.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:03 AM In reply to

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 475

many thnaks Yiannis!

JaMa

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:20 AM In reply to

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 475

Thank you luca.mg!

Jama

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:43 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Before I say You're welcome please let us know how things went! ;-)

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 9:11 AM In reply to

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 475

Things went as follows: I needed to get thing rolling before I got your tip. So this is what I did:

1) I got the sequence resqued from Avid Attic file. But of course it was offline, since all the media was gone from the external harddrivewreck.

2) I tried to relink material but relinking pointed to DNXHD120-files, which were created from original AMA-files. And these DNXHD-files were offline and they had extension .new01. I tried to relink but did not succeed.

3) I decomposed the hole sequence and got litlle less than 200 separate clips. And I pointed clip by clip to Avid where the file is situated. This was a bit of a task but got it done.

4) Only thing I lost here was a whole day of working time. Luckily I had the originals in separate drive. I have learned from the past that never ever trust your external disks too much.

Next time I have your advice in my mind. So many thanks.

Jama

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 11:09 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

Sorry for being late, but glad You did it! For future reference, I hope not, but just in case: no need to decompose, it recreates cut clips shorter than the actual source clips, of course if You redigitize the footage at relink time the sequence will point to the entire clips, but decomposing makes the relink iffier, not going into details but please take my word on this, based on previous experience; go to the bin hamburger menu and tick "show reference files" instead. Always store the original footage on at least two separate drives, the BBC guidelines recommend three. As for media drives reliability, RAID 0 is fast, but a failure of a stripe member will blow up the entire content; RAID 5 is a good compromise between speed and reliability, You trade storage room and speed for safety, but unfortunately with 4K media files that might be a no go; RAID 10 is faster than RAID 5, it requires plenty of drives, but it could be the only option with large 4K files. As for me, I run RAID 0 and overnigth backup on a single very large drive at least weekly. Always make a copy of the project folder on an external drive at the end of the day.

Regards, Luca

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 11:44 AM In reply to

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 37
    • Points 475

Very nice tips and tutorial indeed. Thank you for your time!
    Jama

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:38 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,805

My pleasure!

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller