Latest post Fri, Oct 19 2018 1:03 PM by Christie Carr. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 11 2018 4:39 PM

• iliagin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 17 2017
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Renaming clip on the timeline

Hi,

is there any way to rename clips (shots) on the timeline? I mean I've some shots that are taken from the same original clip so they have the same name... So is there anyway to rename those shots on the sequence itself without creating subclips (and changing the name in the bin itself)?

Thanks!

• Sat, Oct 13 2018 2:01 PM In reply to

Re: Renaming clip on the timeline

iliagin:

Hi,

is there any way to rename clips (shots) on the timeline? I mean I've some shots that are taken from the same original clip so they have the same name... So is there anyway to rename those shots on the sequence itself without creating subclips (and changing the name in the bin itself)?

Thanks!

Have you looked at "Timeline Clip Notes"? I'm on v2018.4 and this was the first time I tried it:

Started by going to the Timeline lower-left FAST Menu, and in CLIP TEXT, I enabled TIMELINE CLIP NOTES.

Then found a timeline clip and Red-Segment highlighted it, which only then showed or enabled ADD TIMELINE CLIP NOTE...

in the Timeline's Right-Click context menu ( & also in main TIMELINE Menu) and from there, opened a Text box to type in.

I can now see my custom text in that timeline clip.

I was able to use FIND tool to locate the Timeline clip containg a Clip Note word that I used. Double-clicking that FIND result moved the timeline Blue position bar, but It landed off by one second, parked on previous timeline clip. (v2018.4)

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 16 2018 8:23 PM In reply to

You can also go to the Tools dropdown Menu, and select Timeline Clip Notes, which opens the TL clip notes window, where you can then use the quick find filter (magnifying glass) to search within that window. If you click the gang button at the bottom of the TL clip note window next to the hamburger menu (it will turn green) then click on an entry in the TL clip notes window, the blue bar will advance to that timeline clip note in the timeline.

Also, you can use the quick find filter (magnifying glass) at the bottom of the timeline ... type in the word you want to search and it will search for clip notes if you have that enabled in the dropdown menu (you'll see a little triangle in the quick find filter - QFF - box at the bottom of the timeline). Then click on the < or > buttons and the blue bar will (should) advance to every instance of the word you are searching. 

Christie Carr

Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer

• Fri, Oct 19 2018 11:56 AM In reply to

Christie Carr:

You can also go to the Tools dropdown Menu, and select Timeline Clip Notes, which opens the TL clip notes window, where you can then use the quick find filter (magnifying glass) to search within that window. If you click the gang button at the bottom of the TL clip note window next to the hamburger menu (it will turn green) then click on an entry in the TL clip notes window, the blue bar will advance to that timeline clip note in the timeline.

Also, you can use the quick find filter (magnifying glass) at the bottom of the timeline ... type in the word you want to search and it will search for clip notes if you have that enabled in the dropdown menu (you'll see a little triangle in the quick find filter - QFF - box at the bottom of the timeline). Then click on the < or > buttons and the blue bar will (should) advance to every instance of the word you are searching. 

Thanks so much, Christie. Good to know.

Is there a way to FIND muted clips, without knowing their clip names? At the end of a long project I want to find and delete them from timeline.

Search by Color? Search by Italics? If the MUTE clip feature auto-generated a Clip Note such as "muted", I could use the Timeline Clip Notes tool to locate them all...  just a suggestion.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 19 2018 1:03 PM In reply to

That is a great question! I'm thinking of options for you, but might need to get back.

Yes, you can search by color ... either by a color chip assigned to a clip in a bin OR a color assigned to a clip via the Timeline hamburger menu (which is a several step process). However, when you mute a clip it goes grey whether or not it has a color assigned and displayed, so the color option is then 'muted' as well.  So that is no help to you.

The 'Select' function within the timeline allows you to select 7 different ways in the timeline including color, but the grey/mute color isn't part of that select process because it is not considered either source (from the bin color chip) or local (set from the timeline hamburger menu). 

To see what I'm talking about, segment select (red/yellow arrow) a clip in the timeline, then right click to see the context menu, go down to "Select" and you'll see the menu flyout for your selection options. I'm sorry that none of the options will help in the case of a muted clip.

If I can think of an efficient way to select all muted clips in one action, I'll post it, but other than physically segment selecting, or adding a Timeline Clip Note or indicating with a Marker designation, and singularly deleting from the timeline, I can't think of a selection model to do that in the timeline currently.

Christie Carr

Sr. Software Quality Assurance Engineer

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller