Latest post Tue, Oct 9 2018 1:29 AM by dingo1. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 5 2018 4:29 PM

• EasyWatch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 5 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

4K Uprezzing Issues

Hello,

I’m a professional editor but have always been fairly novice when it comes to the technical aspects so I could use some help here. I received some 4K footage for a short film. The size of the files was unweildly to work with my set up, so after AMAing the footage in, I transcoded with the 1/4 size with the plan to eventually relink back to the AMA’s for the export for color. Now, the colorist is ready, but when I try to relink, AVID will not. To streamline the process, I transferred all the 4K footage to a different drive and only search that drive during the relink, but still, no dice. ‘Relink to AMAs’ is grayed out when I select the individual files so I can’t even reconnect it that way. I’m stumped. 

Would love to get some advice. If I’m not providing enough technical info, please let me know.

Thanks you!

• Fri, Oct 5 2018 4:52 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,437
    • Points 44,365
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: 4K Uprezzing Issues

It sounds like you broke the original links when you moved the media. You can try and move the media back to the original drive (not sure if that will work or not). If it doesn't work, link to the 4K clips in a new bin, make sure that bin is open, select all of the clips, right-click on the sequence, choose Relink, and select the option to relink to all selected items in open bins. You may have to also specify All Availablee Drives.

If you continue to have problems, one place to check is to make sure that the timecodes are the same for the 1/4 size clips and the 4K clips. This turned out to be a problem I had.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Oct 8 2018 4:08 PM In reply to

• EasyWatch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 5 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

The Open Bins trick worked once I unlinked the 1/4 sized clips and relinked. Thank you so much.

Now, a follow up question that I’m embarrassed to ask: How do I actually export a 4K clip? It doesn’t seem like any of the export settings in avid allow for this. Or do I have to manually put in the right settings? I’m not sure what codec to use for such things. Once again, my Colorist is asking essentially for the highest resolution in order to do his thing.

Thaks again for your help!

• Mon, Oct 8 2018 4:30 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,305
    • Points 59,800
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

EasyWatch:

I’m a professional editor but have always been fairly novice when it comes to the technical aspects

So you are a true artist! ;)

For future reference I suggest that you enter your system specs on your profile page. :)

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2018.3.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 9 2018 1:29 AM In reply to

• dingo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Grinnell
    • Posts 319
    • Points 3,815

Several points:

What is the project setting?  

If it is an HD project you can only export up to HD I believe.  If exporting the clips directly you can set your project to 4k and that will allow you to export up to that resolution.

What is your colorist using for grading?

Ask them how they usually receive footage.  I have always used the process or relinking to the original camera files, exporting an AAF that links to the media.....there are about a million videos showing this workflow....find out what they are using and go from there.

good luck...

MC 7 on 2009 MacBook pro Symphony v8.6 on iMac i7 24gig ram tons of firewire single drives [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller