Latest post Wed, Oct 10 2018 5:21 AM by hbrock. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 5 2018 12:51 AM

• John
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 23 2010
    • Miami, Florida
    • Posts 53
    • Points 660

Frameflex

FrameFlex is a good idea, but..

Allow it to work during multicam.

Allow us to copy and paste the settings.

Allow us to adjust frameflex past source boudaries (Like when using frameflex to adjust a backround of a chrome key).

Allow us to adjust frameflex and see the final composite (like when using frameflex to adjust a chroma key forground).

Bug where settings and keyframes dont apply until you click "Match Raster".

Make 3D Warp resoulution independent.

In sequence, right click clip, choose copy effects, choose another clip, rightclick and choose paste effects, PASTE ALL THE EFFECTS AND KEYFRAMES TO CLIP

Maybe option key and overwrite replaces source clip with clip from source monitor, keeping all the effects and attributes.

Imacpro 10C, 64Gig, R64 - Decklink Monior [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 9 2018 4:00 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,511
    • Points 63,960
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Frameflex

A number of those functions are available but not in FrameFlex because FrameFlex is designed to conform source clips to the project size, format and color space, not to perform effects work.  The reasoning behind this has to do with reconforming media during finishing or sending unaffected media out for finishing on a different platform.  Effects such as resize or 3D warp will usually translate into a compatible effect in other editing programs when using a AAF.  Source clips conforming is generally done when the clip enters the system and before it lands on a timeline.  With that said, here are some ways to do what you asked in bold: 

Allow it to work during multicam.  - Use an effect that will follow the sequence.

Allow us to copy and paste the settings. - You can apply FrameFlex settings to multiple clips by selecting them in a bin first.

Allow us to adjust frameflex past source boudaries (Like when using frameflex to adjust a backround of a chrome key). - Again, use an effect like a Chroma Keyer that will allow repositions and cropping.  These effects will follow the sequence or usually translate into a different platform correctly.

Allow us to adjust frameflex and see the final composite (like when using frameflex to adjust a chroma key forground). See prior.

Bug where settings and keyframes dont apply until you click "Match Raster". Noted. There may be situations where you would like to not match the raster.

Make 3D Warp resoulution independent. It is, but you need to use the highest resolution format for your project.

In sequence, right click clip, choose copy effects, choose another clip, rightclick and choose paste effects, PASTE ALL THE EFFECTS AND KEYFRAMES TO CLIP.  Drag the effect icon to a bin, apply it to other ciips.  You can also drag it to particular parameters of a effect on another clip if you want to use just a sub-set of the settings.

Maybe option key and overwrite replaces source clip with clip from source monitor, keeping all the effects and attributes. Step into the clip, replace the clip.  The effects above will be preserved.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Oct 9 2018 11:32 PM In reply to

Great info and explanations, hbrock!

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 9 2018 11:48 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 23 2010
    • Miami, Florida
    • Posts 53
    • Points 660

Re: Frameflex By hbrock in Avid Media Composer - Mac

A number of those functions are available but not in FrameFlex because FrameFlex is designed to conform source clips to the project size, format and color space, not to perform effects work.  The reasoning behind this has to do with reconforming media during finishing or sending unaffected media out for finishing on a different platform.  Effects such as resize or 3D warp will usually translate into a compatible effect in other editing programs when using a AAF.  Source clips conforming is generally done when the clip enters the system and before it lands on a timeline.  With that said, here are some ways to do what you asked in bold: 

I roundtrip with davinci for all my shows and the workflow with frameflex is bulletproof. 

Allow it to work during multicam.  - Use a effect that will follow the sequence.

When you do that, the effect is applied to all clips on the group for that edit. 

Allow us to copy and paste the settings. - You can apply FrameFlex settings to multiple clips by selecting them in a bin first.

This is fine if all the clips need the same setting and you are making the settings at that time and your sure you have selected all the clips for that setting.  If you find another clip you want the same frameflex, then you should be able to just copy and paste the frameflex you want. Also, you should allow the hdsdi or hdmi output to be active so you can see the luts being applied on a scope it real-time.

Allow us to adjust frameflex past source boudaries (Like when using frameflex to adjust a backround of a chrome key). - Again, use an effect like a Chroma Keyer that will allow repositions and cropping.  These effects will follow the sequence or usually translate into a different platform correctly.

But not resolution independent, and the chroma Keyer does not allow you to make adjustments to the background. 

Allow us to adjust frameflex and see the final composite (like when using frameflex to adjust a chroma key forground). See prior.

Bug where settings and keyframes dont apply until you click "Match Raster". Noted.

Make 3D Warp resoulution independent. It is, but you need to use the highest resolution format for your project.

You are correct on this.  When Frameflex came out, the 3D warp would rasterize the source footage at the project format, then resize causing poor quality, now that has been resolved.

One thing that makes the Frameflex easy to use though is that all you need to do is opne the effect workspace and the framflex is there without needing to go and get the 3D Warp or any other effect and have to drag it onto the clip.

In sequence, right click clip, choose copy effects, choose another clip, rightclick and choose paste effects, PASTE ALL THE EFFECTS AND KEYFRAMES TO CLIP.  Drag the effect icon to a bin, apply it to other ciips.  You can also drag it to particular parameters of a effect on another clip if you want to use just a sub-set of the settings.

This is not very efficient when dealing with a lot of instances where you are doing many revisions and/or have layered Fx. Plus it makes a mess in the bin. My suggestion makes this process a lot more streamlined. 

Maybe option key and overwrite replaces source clip with clip from source monitor, keeping all the effects and attributes. Step into the clip, replace the clip.  The effects above will be preserved.

It is a pain in the a@&$) to have to do this when you have a large number of these to do. Plus, to review the edit you need to step all the way out. 

Imacpro 10C, 64Gig, R64 - Decklink Monior [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 10 2018 5:21 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,511
    • Points 63,960
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

My notes italicized.

I roundtrip with davinci for all my shows and the workflow with frameflex is bulletproof.  - Mine too. FrameFlex and daVinci's Clip Attributes setting work the same way.  3D warp effects translate.  If you uprez a 4K project in Avid or Resolve you'll get the same sizing.

Allow it to work during multicam.  - Use a effect that will follow the sequence.  When you do that, the effect is applied to all clips on the group for that edit. Commit MultiCam edits in the sequence before sending it to finishing.

This is fine if all the clips need the same setting and you are making the settings at that time and your sure you have selected all the clips for that setting.  If you find another clip you want the same frameflex, then you should be able to just copy and paste the frameflex you want. Also, you should allow the hdsdi or hdmi output to be active so you can see the luts being applied on a scope it real-time.  Since copy and paste aren't currently options, I sort the bin by clip resolution, color space, etc. so I can group similar clips together before selecting Source Settings.  Output would be nice too, but the histogram and preview window work OK for LUTs for me. Again, Source Settings are for getting clips ready for a timeline, effects are for applying to clips on the timeline.

For feature requests, post here: http://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

Keep in mind that Avid has tried to incorporate new functions and features into a program that has a long legacy. Changing how things are done requires consistency with other similar functions existing in the program.  If copy and paste worked one way with FrameFlex and another way with Effects or Bins that would be...weird?  I find that one of the challenges of being "multi-lingual" with different editing systems is understanding the underlying logic and working the way the program was designed to have you work.  This isn't to say it's ideal, but it's generally consistent.  In my experience I've found parts of one program to be better than another in some areas and worse in others.  It's a trade off.  I once tried remapping keyboard settings in FCP to work like Media Composer.  When I got to about 80% I found that there were no corresponding keys for some functions because FCP worked differently than Avid.  That's when I tried to embrace the underlying logic of each program to see what I could discover.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller