Latest post Wed, Sep 5 2018 7:16 PM by DStone. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 4 2018 2:38 PM

• h_creation
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 16 2018
    • NJ
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Coverting MTS files to MOV. files

Please Help!!!

I Converted 70 mts files into several different codecs for mov files ranging from H264 to DNxHD.mov file. Then took these high quality .mov files and convert them into low quality mov files. This save me time with transferring these large DNxHD file to my external drives!  Then I AMA linked the the low quality .mov files to cut a sequence. Once i was done I tried to AMA link back to its high quality .MOV file, but I get this error message:

Error: Unable to relink AMA clip to selected file. It may be incompatible with the original. (ie: file type, edit rate, track list, duration)

Wired, I did this same process with my iPhones 8 plus 4k, 24fps footage. The only difference is these files were already .MOV files, so i just converted them into low quality .MOV, did a cut then relink to normal!

MC 8
    MacBook Pro 15inch 2.6 /16GB of ram
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Spec: MacBook Pro 2.6ghz 16gb of ram MC 8.01 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 4 2018 8:39 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Coverting MTS files to MOV. files

First thing, check the timecode. If they don't match, you can't relink (it is possible to reset the timecode on a clip to match). Next, make sure that thet"re both interlaced or progressive. MTS files are either 1080i or 720p. If you converted 1080i to a progressive format, you can't relink.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Sep 5 2018 1:28 PM In reply to

• h_creation
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 16 2018
    • NJ
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Thanks for the very informative information!  Yes I just view both files in avid source monitor and the time code if off! But if i look at the info on them inside the view finder folder the duration time is the same. Two things how do I fix this issues with the time code? And secondly how do I convert the files to make sure their not progressive?

Spec: MacBook Pro 2.6ghz 16gb of ram MC 8.01 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 5 2018 7:16 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,422
    • Points 44,185
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Durtation won't change, just the start timecode.

To change the clip's timecode, right-click on the clip and select Modify Clip. From the dropdown choose Set Timecode by Field. You want to change the start timecode. Chances are one has a timecode of all zeros, and the other (most likely the original) has an actual timecode (or possible vice versa). In either case, if one has zeros then I'd change the other to match. You can bulk process this by selecting all of your clips and changing them at the same time.

Where this won't work is if you're using the clips for multicam, UNLESS the clips have a zero start timecode. In this case, you'll have to go through one clip at a time and match the timecodes. You can get the timecode from right-clicking on the clip and using Get Info. Since your clips have already been converted, you're stuck with whatever you have. Hopefully they stayed interlaced or progressive.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller