Latest post Sat, Sep 1 2018 5:43 PM by Mat Burb. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 1 2018 2:59 AM

• Mat Burb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 14 2011
    • Montreal
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Intel Optane drive memory

I just found out that there is a new technology called Optane that "accelerates your HDD", so your normal drive runs nearly as much as a SSD, for a 70$US 32gb memory card.

Check it out if you have a M.2 memory slot on your motherboard, looks like it may be worth it. I'll have this new setup pretty soon, will give it a try on a 10 TB HD. If it's as good as it says then I think it should make a big improvement on Avid projects, especially in multi-layer !!!

Anybody working with this?

Intel 7820X Asus TUF mark 1 motherboard 32gb 3000mhz Intel octane, 10TB hard drive GTX 980 ti video card [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:40 AM In reply to

Re: Intel Octane drive memory

Isn't this just another step along the hybrid drive route?

Its basically a limited SSD type fast storage and a clever memory management process that attempts to ensure the next data you need is already in the fast memory. 

This works well for databases and predicatable data movements. For OS drives it can help as the common OS files can be loaded early. But its of little use for media and the random access demands we make.

It will all come down to how big the SSD element of the memory is for caching your media before playback and this will compete with the Media cache MC now has in place. S Media Composer already allows you to reserve system RAM to hold the next batch of media to be played.

For fast HDD access a RAID is still best. coupled with a RAID controller thats smart and has on board cache and you are good.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Sep 1 2018 1:18 PM In reply to

• Mat Burb
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thank you for your input Pat.

I would have went for a full RAID 5 array if it wasn’t for:

-The time to order a new identical drive in case of failure (as well as their availability? - technology goes so fast!)

-It looks awfully long to rebuild RAID array after failed drive replacement

-The increased risk of failure when using a 3 or 4 drives array.

-The risk of failure when rebuilding the array, which could lead to permanent data loss

So I decided I would rather manually backup all my medias on a 2nd 10 TB drive (simple partition), that will be ready to go in case of failure.

The Optane feature is quite limited in terms of memory (only 32 gb, then I guess it all bottlenecks to your 7200 drive speed when this 32 gb is full). But still, I was thinking when i’m working for example on a multiple layer (10+) subsequence with effects, or when working for some time on the same heavy segment, maybe it could help! As you say, it looks like it may do pretty much the same thing as RAM regarding Avid - but then wouldn’t it be a super cheap, additionnal HD « RAM » that frees the Avid-allocated RAM to be used for someting else?

My system drive will be a 1 TB M.2 SSD so the Optane drive will be purely media files.

You can be sure I’ll run performance tests comparing both my Optane-10 TB with normal 10 TB. I hope it does make a difference, for 70$ I thought it’s worth the try!

Intel 7820X Asus TUF mark 1 motherboard 32gb 3000mhz Intel octane, 10TB hard drive GTX 980 ti video card [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 1 2018 4:46 PM In reply to

Don't go RAID 5. Go RAID 10 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Sep 1 2018 5:43 PM In reply to

• Mat Burb
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Oh I didn't know about that. Indeed it looks like a fast and bullet-proof solution. As soon as the high-quality 10 TB prices go down to 200$ I'll probably get 2 more and end up with that setup. Until then I'll see what Optane is up to. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller