Latest post Sun, Jun 2 2019 11:21 AM by masanantonio. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 23 2018 9:38 AM

• Inkahoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 22 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Avid Background Services on 2018.8

While it's relatively slow this month, I'm trying to refresh the OS and software on my 3 Mac Avid network, connected to Nexis Pro storage. All Macs (trash can, iMac and laptop) are on approved Mac hardware list.

After a fresh install of MacOS 10.13.6 and Media Composer 2018.8, Avid Background Services is not running consistently between different user profiles. I create Administrator (with admin rights) and Editor (standard, no admin rights) profiles on all machines, and make my freelancers use the Editor account. I am able to successfully start Avid Background Services on the Administrator account (green icon), it will not start on the Editor acocunt (red icon). I've installed this configuration on 2 of my 3 machines now (laptop and iMac) and this issue presents itself on both machines. 

I've tried creating a new editor profile with admin rights, and this newly created profile still does not start Background Services. Only logging into the original Administrator profile allows for successful background transcodes, renders, etc.

I'm upgrading from v8.5, where Background Services was also unreliable. I was hoping Background Services would be more stable with this release. When it works, I find it very useful for our workflows, especially transcoding media to our Nexis in the background, allowing us to organize our bins and even work on other projects while it transcodes media in the background. I don't see that many posts about it in the forums, does it generally work well for everyone else? Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves to get Background Services turn green when it goes red? Or does no one bother because it doesn't work for them? Asking for a friend... :)

Inky

• Fri, Aug 24 2018 11:28 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,520

Re: Avid Background Services on 2018.8

I’m keen to follow your progress, since changing my computer I have lost background services.

please update with ant progress.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 27 2018 6:25 AM In reply to

• Inkahoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

So I've started rebuilding my 3rd Mac (trash can) from the ground up. Same issue, background services works on the initial admin user profile, and does NOT work on the 2nd standard user profile. Here's exactly what I've done:

1. Wiped HD clean, installed fresh copy of 10.13.6, created initial admin user profile.

2. Created 'editor' standard user profile.

3. Installed Media Composer 2018.8

That's it. No other software installed that could potentially mess up the profiles or MC installation. When I log in and start MC under the admin user profile, I can start Background Services and use it as normal. When I login under the 'editor' standard user profile, Background Services will not start (arrows in the menu bar turn red) and any attempt to use background services from within MC gives me this error:

"Avid Editor Services are not Running. Please start Services from the Avid Editor Services Manager..."

When I bring up the Background Services window under Tools, it shows the status as Unknown, and hitting the start button has no effect. 

At this point, my questions are:

1. Is there a feature or bug in 2018.8 that prevents user profiles other than the initial admin profile from starting and running Background Services successfully?

2. Any ideas on how to force Background Services to run successfully under a standard profile? I've been checking permissions to various Avid folders between the 2 profiles, and as far as I can tell, they have the same read/write permissions to all of the folders/files that I can see. 

3. Is there anyone using multiple user profiles on a mac successfully? Anything special you do to keep the profiles and Avid running smoothly?

Inky

• Thu, Aug 30 2018 12:18 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 236
    • Points 2,520

I’ve had a breakthrough with background services, and they are now working a bit.

Beforehand when selecting the background queue from the menu bar services my browser would always report “local host not found”. 

So I fixed the local host issue using terminal commands supplied by Apple support, and now background services will start. I can’t get background transcoding to work YET , Edit, got it working- through a process of stumbling through. In the activity monitor I quit java (I had installed it to run an old version of photoshop), I noticed the background service stopped working and could not find “local host”. I restarted, background services would run again. I launched media composer and did a background render, it worked! Then I tried a background transcode, it WORKED!

Anybody know what is going on here?

Also worth a note is that my application manager would fail to sign in on launch. That is now fixed with the “local host” fix.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 7 2018 3:17 PM In reply to

• Inkahoy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Just wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone else has a similar problem. I was able to get background services working on my editor profile by uninstalling/re-installing MC while logged in the editor profile. Now I have background services working in both my admin and editor user profiles. Previously, I was only doing software installs while logged in under the admin profile. 

There must be something user profile specific/exclusive that background services depends on that was not carrying over to the editor user profile when I was doing my installs under the admin profile. By installing MC under the editor profile, something got installed, or some permissions were set somewhere, that now allows background services to start under both profiles. Annoying but not too big a deal for a small installation like mine. I can see how this would be a bigger problem for larger facilities that manage a large number of unique user profiles. 

Would love a peak 'under the hood' of background services to better understand how it works, what its dependencies are and how best to troubleshoot when it stops working as expected. Is there any documentation or other extensive threads I can reference?

Inky

• Fri, Sep 7 2018 3:44 PM In reply to

Interesting...

Can you report back on your next upate to see if the double-install is required every time or since you did it once it enables it from here on out?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Nov 28 2018 2:57 PM In reply to

• Igor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 9 2009
    • Posts 48
    • Points 445

Hello,

Why when consolidating in the background, he does not ask which version of the files to associate the new clips: Relink native Master's clips to media on target drive or Keep it linked to media on original drive? If this is not done in the background, then such a question appears.
    I have to spend time on every bin. Is there any way to avoid this?

Thank you.

upd. And why not give the opportunity to delete old files in the background in case they are not needed?
           This option is inactive in the background

HP Z8 G4 Workstation, Win10prox64bit, Avid MC on Blackmagic DeckLink Studio 4K, Nvidia Quadro P5000, RAM 64 GB. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 2 2019 11:21 AM In reply to

Please what commands did you write in the terminal?

Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller