Latest post Wed, Sep 19 2018 12:29 PM by Rory T. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 22 2018 2:44 PM

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Slow Read Speeds Since 2018.6 Upgrade

Hello all,

I had assistants and editors complaining about dropped frames recently.  I ran benchmark utility and noticed massive drop in read speeds, from 105MB/s to 35MB/s, to what I would expect.  I then checked several computers and realised that this drop was universal on both the E4 and the Nexis Pros which were running 2018.6.0.8.  I then tested the ISIS 5000 which is running 4.7.11 and the read speeds are what I would come to expect.  I upgraded the E4 and NexPros to 2018.6.1.14 in the hope of fixing the issue.  It did not.  

Slow read speeds reminded me of another issue I had with my 10GB network before.  https://community.avid.com/forums/t/181550.aspx

I checked the setting which was set to normal, and just tried my luck flipping it to disabled;

netsh int tcp set global autotuning=disable

The read speeds went up from 35MB/s or 60MB/s up to 105MB/s.

This goes against all current avid literature but both EdPrep and ASDT flip the setting to disabled.  ASDT was run on all computers.  Problem solved... or maybe not.  I then realised that installing and 2018 Nexis Client Manager flips the setting back to normal as does rebooting the computer.  So every time the computer restarts Nexis Client flips this setting to normal.  The Nexis Client 7.6.1 (which I upgraded from) did not alter this setting.  What I don't know is did having the setting set to normal or disabled effect the WR numbers in 7.6.1 and in 2018.6.1.14?

Our current infrastructure has four Nexis Pros and E4 10GB linked into a Dell S4810 switch with a Force 10 S50-01-GE-48T-V and a S25-01-GE-24T also 10GB'd into the Dell.  Then 1GB clients are plugged into the Force 10s.  I have had our Avid support guys try recreate the issue to no avail so the escalated it to Avid proper who are flummoxed, as am I.   
    There is already a case created with Avid but I was wondering what others experience were?  And how your infrastructure is in comparison.  The Avid support seen no change in WR numbers when the setting was normal/disabled but that was a 1GB Dell N2024 connected directly to the Nexis.  Does anyone have a 10GB backbone > force 10 > 1GB client? 

Can you post even if your WR numbers do not change or change as expected or in my case change as unexpected depending on the global autotuning status.  Thank you.  

Best, Rory

• Wed, Aug 22 2018 3:33 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,686
    • Points 211,420
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Slow Read Speeds Since 2018.6 Upgrade

Hey Rory

I think support should look at this one......... I was going to create a case and getting the storage team engaged but see you have oe already.  What is the case #?????

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 18 2018 2:53 PM In reply to

Rory T:

Our current infrastructure has four Nexis Pros and E4 10GB linked into a Dell S4810 switch with a Force 10 S50-01-GE-48T-V and a S25-01-GE-24T also 10GB'd into the Dell.  Then 1GB clients are plugged into the Force 10s. 

What jumps out at me is the Force 10 S50 and S25. The S50 was never a supported switch, even with ISIS. The S25 is not supported with NEXIS.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Sep 19 2018 12:29 PM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

With the help of Avid Support I think we may have gotten to the bottom of this recently.  Setting the buffer-profile global from 4Q to 1Q in the 1GB switches seemed to fix the issue.  The setting was never changed from the 4Q default.  The only info I can find online about this is from years ago and is related to the ISIS but that is the system that we were not actually having any of the read speed issues with.  Either way I am glad it seems sorted now.  Maybe someone will find this info useful. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller