Latest post Tue, Aug 14 2018 4:53 PM by AlexF. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 11 2018 12:27 PM

• AlexF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 13 2011
    • Posts 27
    • Points 380

Feature request: Export QT with Metadata

Dear Avid,

i would really like to see having the ability to set metadata while exporting Quicktime files from Media Composer.

These points will be a good start:

- setting COLR atom to all possible modes

- pass color informations to RDD36 ProRes streams

- enable/disable track aperture

- set audio language for each track

Thank you very much.

• Sun, Aug 12 2018 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: Feature request: Export QT with Metadata

To the best of my knowledge, Apple has killed off QuickTime altogether, Adobe has already ditched QT dependencies, and Avid have been reducing QT dependencies and continue to do so. So while I get your requests, I think the chances they will be implemented are extremely slim.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 13 2018 7:28 AM In reply to

• AlexF
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 380

While it is correct that classic Quicktime APIs are deprecated by Apple, Quicktime as a container format is not replaced or kind of killed. It is still a superior container format as intermediate in the world.

Apple recommends to use AVFoundation as a replacement.

I'm pretty sure that it will be a really bad idea if Avid drops Quicktime support in MC.

In contrast it is time to take a next step with it.

• Mon, Aug 13 2018 10:57 AM In reply to

Most people I deal with are moving away from QT as a solution. QT container was never that good. It just became popular. Its limited metadata support pretty much makes it a dinasour nowadays. Time to move on.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Aug 14 2018 1:50 PM In reply to

• AlexF
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 380

In my world it is completely upside down. Quicktime ProRes is the gold standard. Independent from what is inside MC.

MXF + others are deal-breakers.

By the way: removing old APIs and dependencies from MC is not the same as removing the ability to work with it (import/link/export/...). In fact it does mean that Avid is working on doing it on their own and not suffering on Apples solutions. All major tools i deal with did this in the past. That is absolutely ok, i support that. All applications are way faster than before.

So, i still see this as a future requirement. It is not that issue to integrate - some hex values to modify. That's it.

• Tue, Aug 14 2018 2:13 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,237
    • Points 39,280

AlexF:

In my world it is completely upside down. Quicktime ProRes is the gold standard. Independent from what is inside MC.

MXF + others are deal-breakers.

By the way: removing old APIs and dependencies from MC is not the same as removing the ability to work with it (import/link/export/...). In fact it does mean that Avid is working on doing it on their own and not suffering on Apples solutions. All major tools i deal with did this in the past. That is absolutely ok, i support that. All applications are way faster than before.

So, i still see this as a future requirement. It is not that issue to integrate - some hex values to modify. That's it.

I am curious - truly, no sarcasm.  What area are you working in that would like to have these options?

Always trying to learn ....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Aug 14 2018 4:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,531
    • Points 209,530
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Me too Jef.

Regardless - I created a case Alex and this will get sent along to the Product team.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 14 2018 4:53 PM In reply to

• AlexF
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 380

postproduction business in Germany

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller