Latest post Wed, Aug 1 2018 9:04 PM by Adam Cravens. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 27 2018 6:24 PM

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 1 2014
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

XAVC Intra codec in quicktime (.mov) wrapper AMA trouble

So we've been working on a project recently for which we have a lot of footage in the XAVC Intra codec 3840x2160 in a quicktime wrapper (.mov) Our workflow usually involves AMA'ing footage into MC and transcoding to dnx36 for offline edit. For finish we re-link to AMA original clips and transcode to 1920X1080 ProRes422HQ. For some reason with these XAVC clips, I can't transcode to any 10 bit codecs within Media Composer (DNX 175x, ProRes422HQ, etc). It will allow me to transcode to DNX175 or any flavor of DNX below. I've also found that when I toggle the video quality menu on the AMA'd clips I can view them in yellow / green and green, but when I toggle to green 10bit the image becomes a distorted green and pink mess. This is also what clips look like when I try to transcode to 10 bit. I initially thought that I simply had outdated ama plugins installed. I unistalled legacy sony plugins and installed all the most current nablet plugins. This had no effect. I later discovered that in the source browser it's actually the quicktime ama plugin that is being used, not the nablet and I confirmed that I have, AFAIK, the current quicktime AMA plugin that installed w/ media composer as well as the Apple ProVideo Formats. I've seen other threads on this topic, but none that seems to answer my particular question. I've worked around this limitation by sending an AAF of the linked ama clips out to resolve and transcoding this way, but it's quite the PITA. Does anyone have any ideas on this? 

3.5 GHz Core i7 Imac, Late 2013 / 32 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB / OS X 10.11.6 / MC 8.9.4 / AJA IOXT [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2018 10:52 PM In reply to

Re: XAVC Intra codec in quicktime (.mov) wrapper AMA trouble

You try manually selecting the Nablet plugin?

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 12:53 AM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

Thanks for the reply Robert. I'm not sure I either know how or can choose a different plugin on a particular clip. I'm in MC 8.9.4 and as near as I can tell, the only option I see for choosing a plugin gives me the choice of Autodetect, Avid Generic and Quicktime and none of those options yields a different result.

3.5 GHz Core i7 Imac, Late 2013 / 32 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB / OS X 10.11.6 / MC 8.9.4 / AJA IOXT [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:03 PM In reply to

Adam Cravens:

Thanks for the reply Robert. I'm not sure I either know how or can choose a different plugin on a particular clip. I'm in MC 8.9.4 and as near as I can tell, the only option I see for choosing a plugin gives me the choice of Autodetect, Avid Generic and Quicktime and none of those options yields a different result.

Still sounds like MC is not aware of the Nablet plugin.  I would re-download the latest Nablet XDCAM XAVC plugin and install it.  I beilieve I tested a .mov and was able to pick the Nablet but I will try to make time to try again.  If you can rewrap the clip to .mp4 (rewrap, not transcode) that might help.  Many folks don't realize the mp4 container works perfectly well for XAVC or pretty much any other H.264 varient.  Even H.265.

Hang in there,

Robert

MacBook Pro Late 2013 2.6 ghz I7/16gb RAM/GT 750M/1TB PCIe SSD & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/HIT2TB/WD650/WD1TB/ProAvio Scary RAID External. [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:04 PM In reply to

Adam Cravens:

Still sounds like MC is not aware of the Nablet plugin.  I would re-download the latest Nablet XDCAM XAVC plugin and install it.  I beilieve I tested a .mov and was able to pick the Nablet but I will try to make time to try again.  If you can rewrap the clip to .mp4 (rewrap, not transcode) that might help.  Many folks don't realize the mp4 container works perfectly well for XAVC or pretty much any other H.264 varient.  Even H.265.

Hang in there,

Robert

Robert A. Ober
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:05 PM In reply to

• gorky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2005
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,725

Try to rename *.mov to *.m4v.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 8:56 PM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

So I re-installed the Nablet plugins. No dice. I also tried gorky's suggestion and renamed to .m4v. File still works in the way it did before, but doesn't use the nablet plug-in. It will AMA with quicktime plugin and display at green yellow and green, but not green 10bit.

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:11 PM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

I wrote to Nablet support with my question and I got an astonishingly fast response:

"Sorry to say, but an XAVC compliant AVC video stream wrapped in MOV is not XAVC. The Sony XAVC specification provides that the stream is MXF Op1a wrapped. The nablet XAVC XDCAM Plugin only handles MXF containers."

Apparently someone before us in the chain must have re-wrapped the XAVC in a .mov wrapper and in so doing broke the AMA functionality. Sweet. I'll probably convert selects I need for finish in Resolve for the remainder of this project and look out for this problem in the future. Thanks everyone for your help with this.

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:43 PM In reply to

• Obscure
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2018
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Maybe this will, help, maybye not - I have had this issue before when FCPX has been used to wrap XAVC-I MXF to XAVC-I MOV (thanks apple!). If you install FCPX, this should then allow you to decode the files via Quicktime and load them directly into an Avid.

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 9:04 PM In reply to

• Adam Cravens
    • Not Ranked
    • Burbank, CA, USA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 175

Thanks Obscure,

I have the Apple Pro Codecs 7.0.6 installed (for which you need an apple Pro app (fcp x, compressor, etc) to be allowed to install and this enabled me to see the files in quicktime, just not access the full potential of the files via AMA due to the plug-in mis-match. If we continue to get footage this way I'll likely need to start re-wrapping or transcoding via Editready or Resolve. Sometimes I long for the days of tape...sweet reliable tape that didn't constantly contradict me and make me feel inadequate...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller