Latest post Wed, Jul 25 2018 9:56 PM by jed cahill. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 24 2018 12:31 PM

• jed cahill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 10 2011
    • Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 605

Archive Projects professionally

Hi guys I have done a pretty extensive search on this but come up flat. I was hoping to get a third party plugin to do it in the most simplistic way possible but it appears Media Mover no longer is available. What is an option like this? I have always done it the free way within Avid which in some way I always lose links or a file is missed.

Basically, up until now I usually have simple projects easy to manage, but I have a regular client and the new project requires revisiting every year or two. I have animated sequences with layered tracks of audio and within these tracks, I have to change the language when we do different languages of the animations. they take up a lot of data when not in use and I like to archive my entire hard drives every 3 to 6 months. But links are always broken when doing it the free way through Avids Media Tool and it is a pain to get the data back Ideally I want to buy a program that simply does a clean archive for me with an easy ability to to reopen the project on another drive at a later date. Is there anything out there that can do this? please help really want to start on this project as soon as possible. I know if Automatic Duck but it just seems way to simplified for what I want to try and achieve in terms of saving specific sequences and audio files.    

AMD Ryzen 71700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00GHz 64GB 64-bit OS [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Jul 24 2018 2:11 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Archive Projects professionally

Here's a blog I wrote a few years ago that is still relevant: http://www.avidblogs.com/tutorial-thursday-media-composer-project-structure/ 

I edit everything from docs to commercials, and I get constant calls to generate new product from the archives I've created. Plus, more and more over the years, the need to do so "immediately" has skyrocketed. Hence why I stay far away from LTO. So I now do everything like this:

1) Edit the project on an external hard drive or RAID, depending on the project's size. 100% of the project lives on this drive. The Avid project itself, the graphics and raw AMA media, the art direction from other people, and so on. 

2) Every Friday (or sooner on commercials), I copy the entire drive to a backup drive. Then the following Friday, I wipe that backup, reformat and backup again.

3) When the project is all done, I thus have two perfect drives (in two separate buildings) that can be plugged in at a moment's notice, and it looks and feels exactly like when I was sitting there editing... which is actually a better scenario than Media Mover was. 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Wed, Jul 25 2018 9:56 PM In reply to

• jed cahill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 10 2011
    • Australia
    • Posts 47
    • Points 605

Re: Archive Projects professionally

Thanks for the reply on this, great info Pixel. Basically, I am trying to be conservative with my drives I have two sets of two 1TB SDD As with most of my work I am constantly on the go and work between my desktop at home and my laptops on the road. 

At the end of each edit, I back the projects up on two hard drives, one SATA and one dedicated drive to either a single client or a small number of clients in alphabetical order. 

When I do this I would think everything would be alright, but there are links that are broken usually between graphics, although everything has been output to the same drive. the only way I can seem to make it work is to create a text doc with a drive letter referenced on it then when I try to open the project up on a back up later down the track I have to make sure the drive letter is the same as it was say three years ago. Kind of seems like a long way around and I have never felt comfortable with doing this way so I was hoping there would be a plugin or a program that would be able to handle the media more efficiently?  

AMD Ryzen 71700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00GHz 64GB 64-bit OS [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller