Latest post Tue, Jul 31 2018 3:10 PM by RalphC. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 16 2018 4:21 PM

• Randall Rocke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 14 2017
    • Columbus, Ohio
    • Posts 6
    • Points 65

MC 1st Upate 2018.7 will not complete installation

This is the 1st time I've seen this issue, as I have completed all previous updates. All items appear to download successfully.  The Installer itself updates but the main program portion goes into the "spin cycle" and never leaves. On the 3rd attempt I let the installer run all night - it still didn't work.

I'm still able to run the installed version (2018.5).

Now, every time I boot up I get a message that the update is awaiting installation (which of course never works).

Any ideas?

Win 7 (64-bit)PC, Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz; 16 GB RAM, 3 internal drives totaling 2.9 TB; external storage (2 drives) totaling 7 TB, Focusrite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 17 2018 2:59 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,569
    • Points 17,175
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC 1st Upate 2018.7 will not complete installation

Hello Randall,

Randall Rocke:
    The Installer itself updates but the main program portion goes into the "spin cycle" and never leaves. On the 3rd attempt I let the installer run all night - it still didn't work.

Sorry I'm confuse what do you mean by the installer itself updates? Have you tried to download from Avid master account and install from there?

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 17 2018 11:09 PM In reply to

• Setiawan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 25 2014
    • Bandung, Indonesia
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Same issue to me...

As usual I got notified that there's an app update from the AVID App Manager, and then proceed with the process.

Unfortunately, even though I have updated the MC:First from 2018.5 to 2018.7, the application manager still seeing it as 2018.5

And running MC:First, I look in the splash screen, the version is still 2018.5

*Ok, I'm very new to this forum... but how to post images here? looks like need to post to external website?

Add: Link to screenshot images: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2ue2zs3bm/

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz ; Mainboard: Intel DX58SO2 Extreme Series ; Video Card: ATI Radeon RX470 4GB Series (Digital Alliance... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 18 2018 5:02 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,569
    • Points 17,175
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Setiawan, 

Did you try to install, looks like the installation did not push through. Click the "install" to begin the setup. You can also download and install from My Avid https://my.avid.com/products#MyProducts

Thanks,
    RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 18 2018 9:34 PM In reply to

I'm experiencing a similar issue with regards to 2018.7 failing to install.

I attempted to update after receiving a prompt yesterday via the Application Manager (ver: 2018.6). I believe the first update attempt updated Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) 14.12.25810 first (I got this looking at system restore) The system immediately restarted without any further prompting which was unusual.

Going through the update procedure again after the reboot selecting install in Application Manager gets me to the Avid First splash screen. Selecting Install Avid Suite (the way I'd previously updated) Shows Avid Cloud Services Succeed, then 'gathering required information'.

After this nothing appears to hhappen and I can reselect install Avid Suite from the Avid First splash screen menu and the whole cycle will repeat.

I also downloaded 2018.7 from my account and tried installation but the result was identical.

The PC is otherwise behaving itself and the previous version of Avid First (2018.5) opens fine.

System is HP Z420/ 12GB RAM/ Windows 10 Pro/ Nvidia 410 Quadro

Symphony V6.04 Windows 10 Pro HP Z400 16gbRAM Quadro FX1800 Avid First Windows 10 Pro Hp Z420 12Gb RAM Nvidia Quadro 410 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 18 2018 10:07 PM In reply to

• Setiawan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 25 2014
    • Bandung, Indonesia
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Hi RalphC, I tried reupdating several times and it didn't work...

Will try later with the 'separate setup'.

Thanks.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz ; Mainboard: Intel DX58SO2 Extreme Series ; Video Card: ATI Radeon RX470 4GB Series (Digital Alliance... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 21 2018 2:50 PM In reply to

• earlyfilms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 23 2007
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

I have the same problem and did in fact download 2018.7 direct from the Avid site and that too went nowhere.

HP Z820

Processor: lntel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ES-2665 0@ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz (2 processors)

Installed Ram 64.0 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Graphics Card: NVIDIA QUadro K4000 driver version 391.74

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1709 (Note: I am holding off on updating to the latest version because the last attempt caused my BD-RE drive to vanish with no available solution)

OS Build 16299.431

• Sat, Jul 21 2018 3:25 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,569
    • Points 17,175
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

earlyfilms:
    I have the same problem and did in fact download 2018.7 direct from the Avid site and that too went nowhere.

What error message did you get?

RalphC

• Sun, Jul 22 2018 1:34 AM In reply to

• Bill A
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 14 2017
    • Posts 3
    • Points 25

Also having issues with updating to 2018.7 directly from application Manager

Message says " Failed Install:Media Composer | First install failed due to communication error. Please retry the operation or restart your machine: If this problem continues, please contact Avid Customer Support

I have now downloaded the installer directly and will attempt a direct install and upgrade rather than going thru the Application Manager

7/22/2018 Update

Downloaded and extracted the 2018.7 installation file and tried installing it directly. It appears to run, installs a couple of prerequisites , and then churns for a while before shutting down.

Nothing is installed and upon rebooting and tryng again the exact same sequenece of installing C++ prerequisites and the AVID application manager starts again.

The installtion appears to fail and then in doing so rolls back any changes it may have made to the system as though the installation was cancelled.

• Mon, Jul 23 2018 12:55 AM In reply to

• almity1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 22 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Hi Ralph..  I am assuming with the badges under your name, you have a direct line to AVID..

Unfortunately, the Update File is corrupt or not compiled properly..  I have tried to install on 2 computers (Windows) using both the Application Manager and the Download File from my products page.

There is no error message, but I can tell you that the Update File starts to run but then stalls, either the Batch Process or the Executable stalls.

From the Task Manager there are 2 Processes trying to start or stalling..  These are labelled, Console Window Host and Windows Command Processor, these start and then stall.  Either there is a permissions issue or the file has not compiled correctly.

When you run it from the file, the installation just stops, when you run through the Application Manager the Installing label is showing the fullstops flashing as if it is working.

Hoping this helps

Theo

• Mon, Jul 23 2018 3:12 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,531
    • Points 209,530
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Theo

yes Ralph and I work for Avid....  

Couple of things.....

Avid recommends that downloads occur on a wired network or direct connect through a cable modem (LAN or DSL connection). 

Avid does not recommend that customers attempt to download software via a wireless (WiFi) network. Should there be a glitch in the network traffic or an interruption of service, the integrity of the download may be suspect.  

Delete caches and cookies in your browser before downloading.

Once the software has been downloaded to your computer, it is important to follow the steps below for unzipping the file, as they are specific depending upon the unzip utility you have on your system. 

How to Decompress or Unzip a file Usually, you can simply double-click the compressed file you downloaded. 

On most Windows systems, a decompression utility will automatically unpack the file to a location you choose.  If, when you double-click the compressed file, the utility doesn't launch automatically, you may need to install such a utility on your system.  Some common decompression utilities: 

• WinZip (Windows) 
    • WinRar (Windows) 

Once you install the decompression utility, consult the documentation that comes with the decompression software for instructions. 

I can also send you the download directly....   email me if that is needed?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jul 23 2018 7:40 PM In reply to

• RickP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cleveland, OH
    • Posts 46
    • Points 510

I had the same issues with my update via the Application Manager.  I then downloaded direct from my Products page. That did no better, just like others have said.  Then I went into the downloaded Installers/MediaComposer folder and ran the setup.exe directly.  That worked.

Hope this helps until the problem is fixed.

Media Composer v2018.1 on (17) 27" Core i7 Quad-core iMacs with 16GB RAM and (8) HP Compaq Elite 8200 Core i5-2500 with 16GB RAM and nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 23 2018 9:50 PM In reply to

Thanks Rick,

I also ran setup.exe from within the downloaded folder and that has worked for me as well. On running setup it performed a repair first, then installed. I don't know if this is expected behaviour.

On opening MC First I'm now getting the following audio error 'unable to initialize audio effect and mixing system. Continue with limited audio capability' which hasn't occured before but audio monitoring from the PC is still functioning as is the audio mixer although audio suite is greyed out. 

Paul

Symphony V6.04 Windows 10 Pro HP Z400 16gbRAM Quadro FX1800 Avid First Windows 10 Pro Hp Z420 12Gb RAM Nvidia Quadro 410 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 23 2018 10:23 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,569
    • Points 17,175
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Masterskier:
    'unable to initialize audio effect and mixing system.

Do you get a "The Software required to validate the license for this product is not running" before the audio pop up? 

Please make sure that PACE is running in Windows background services, I set mine to automatic no delay. Check how to here especially the Alternative 1: part.

Thanks,

RalphC

• Tue, Jul 24 2018 4:47 AM In reply to

• almity1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 22 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Yes, that worked!!  But had the same issue as MasterSkier, fixed it by Removing MC and then re-installing...

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller