Latest post Sat, Jul 14 2018 3:25 PM by Telegram!. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 10 2018 10:42 AM

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 7 2014
    • Zurich
    • Posts 20
    • Points 220

Compensating delay of one track in an autosync group

Hi,

I have some video footages with a LTC audio track, which are autosynced with multiwaves files from audio recorders.

One track of each multiwave file is a LAV track with a 19 ms constant delay (from a sennheiser AVX transmitter).

Is there an efficient way to correct this delay inside AVID? Not a big deal, but if it can be done easily and reliably...

Thanks !

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 4:05 PM In reply to

Re: Compensating delay of one track in an autosync group

I can suggest using an RTAS delay, which works on any edited clip, but over the entire track, once edited on the Composer >> Timeline.

There may be other better options, including a sub-frame "slip" tool, but I'm not sure if it can work selectively  on your Lav in your multi-channel wav file

But take a look at this.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 11 2018 4:56 PM In reply to

Does the RTAS delay effect offer a negative delay (its an advance that needed)?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 5:09 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Does the RTAS delay effect offer a negative delay (its an advance that needed)?

Nope, but it works (sort of) combined with a one-frame segment nudge.

I'm now interested in coming up with a way to "bake in" such corrections into Groups, etc. using the new Slip tool, which is probably a whole lot better... if the workflow to do it can be simplified.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2018 3:23 AM In reply to

The new Audio Sub Frame Slip function does not seem to allow individual channel slips. I imported an 8-channel Wav where only Ch1 needed slipping... but all tracks were affected. I suppose a workaround is to import/link a extra duplicate file, but mix and match before creating an AutoSync or GroupClip.

• Thu, Jul 12 2018 9:02 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 532
    • Points 6,770

Recently, there was a sneak preview of new MC features due to arrive before the end of the year.

One of these new features was the ability to change a multicam / group clip after creation. Not sure if this includes autosynced groups, but it's a step in the right direction.

To read the thread (with links to demos), see...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184275.aspx

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2018 11:04 AM In reply to

Bruno M:

Recently, there was a sneak preview of new MC features due to arrive before the end of the year.

One of these new features was the ability to change a multicam / group clip after creation. Not sure if this includes autosynced groups, but it's a step in the right direction.

To read the thread (with links to demos), see...

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184275.aspx

'Thanks, Bruno, I recall you posting it.

And that workaround idea above, about Grouping a Slipped clip with a 2nd import of the same clip, which is un-slipped.... I just tried it and in a quick test I found that a Group does not maintain the Slip adapter... even after refreshing the timeline sequence.Perhaps it is a different story with an AutoSync clip (which I don't normally use and didn't try).

It's such a neat new tool.. Oh well, at least you can match-frame from the Groupclip back to the slipped masterclip and replace the sound on a preferred track (like the OP wanted to do on Ch1.) Then it appears on the timeline showing the Slip adapter...

• Thu, Jul 12 2018 2:16 PM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 7 2014
    • Zurich
    • Posts 20
    • Points 220

Thanks all for all the comments/suggestions.

I was hopping for an "elegant" solution I missed, but it seems that there is not one yet. In my case, I think it'll be better to handle the compensation of the delay in Pro Tools, when needed only.

Hoppefully Avid will address that in a near future, but to be honest, I'm not so optimistic: a lot of features announced last year, but not that much delivered yet. I don't get for example the audio slip in source settings as you can't do a track by track settings. 

• Thu, Jul 12 2018 6:04 PM In reply to

damien78:

Thanks all for all the comments/suggestions.

I was hopping for an "elegant" solution I missed, but it seems that there is not one yet. In my case, I think it'll be better to handle the compensation of the delay in Pro Tools, when needed only.

Hoppefully Avid will address that in a near future, but to be honest, I'm not so optimistic: a lot of features announced last year, but not that much delivered yet. I don't get for example the audio slip in source settings as you can't do a track by track settings. 

You’re welcome.

• Sat, Jul 14 2018 3:25 PM In reply to

I’d like some help from anyone interested in fully learning the particulars of the Sub Frame Audio Slip adapter.

I start with the online MC feature documentation, then hope to go forward from there with examples and any details.

• I am interested in how a Slipped masterclip behaves if it becomes (or pre-dates) inclusion in a Group clip, AutoSync clip.

(based on very quick tests, it seems there are limitations (in v2018.4)

• I want to get a real handle on how Sub-Frame Audio slipping is best applied for clips already on a Composer Tineline.

If this is the case, can we apply e.g., a +19ms Slip to one timeline clip, but also apply a -12 ms Slip to a different Timeline clip, from the same masterclip?

Also: Can anyone confirm that an Audio Slip adapter can be saved to a Bin? and therefore able to be applied to onto multiple highlighted segments? Can a timeline with multiple highlighted segments get Sub Frame Slipped?

Do I need to have initially applied some kind of Sub Frame Audio Slip adapter from the Bin/ Source Setting (prior to timeline editing) in order to have the ability to do any Sub Frame Audio Slipping on a Timeline clip from it? 

Thanks to any interested editors, Avid engineers, etc. for any responses....

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller