Latest post Fri, Jul 13 2018 3:22 AM by We-Co. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 10 2018 4:57 AM

• We-Co
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 35

Adobe to Avid and Importing R3Ds

Hello,

Please excuse the long post, I know this may be a bit thick for what I’m inquiring about but I’d like to give some foundation to my issues in hopes to solve the multiple problems I’m having.

I’m an Adobe Premiere editor, however, after the constant crashing and endless bugs I’ve deciding to try out new editing software. I’ve narrowed it down between Media Composer or Resolve… I feel like Resolve is a little underdeveloped, but I could be wrong I haven’t really tested it out like that. 

Anyway, going from Adobe to Avid is proving to be more difficult than I expected.

The assistant editor synced the project in Premiere Pro, so I exported an AAF to Avid.

The issues I’m facing.

1. The video and audio shows up offline

fix: audio “Batch re-import” sort of does the job.

2. The audio still doesn’t import files that are a stereo mix with mono channels

fix: guess I have to do this manually, a pain but I’ll live. Unless there’s a better way?

3. The video was proxy footage, and thus needs to relink/imported with original R3Ds

fix: ??? I have no idea, I’ve tried to relink, I’ve tried batch re-import, none of it works.

My questions are in there but if they are clear enough basically what I’m asking is…

1. How do I replace the proxy footage with the R3Ds, while keeping the synced audio, and also is there a way to toggle between proxies and R3Ds like Premiere?

2. What’s up with the stereo (mono with left and right) when it comes to AAF import? Is there any way to fix this without me manually syncing the audio or some sort of plugin or a way to create a stereo mix from a mono track?

I’ve spent the last four day trying to figure out how to import footage. A little ridiculous, but maybe that the reason why MC doesn’t crash as often as Adobe? But then again it did crash on me while trying to import R3Ds from the source browser so who knows.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 12.0px} li.li1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} span.s1 {font-kerning: none} span.Apple-tab-span {white-space:pre} ol.ol1 {list-style-type: decimal}

I’ve an extreme novice when it comes to Avid so please forgive me.

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 12:00 AM In reply to

• We-Co
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 35

Re: Adobe to Avid and Importing R3Ds

No help with this?

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 3:48 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,334
    • Points 16,390

It's not going to work.

Premiere->Avid via aaf is fraught to begin with because of metadata structure, and if you're throwing multichannel audio and proxy video into the mix you can pretty much forget it.

There's a chance you can make it work Premiere->Resolve->Avid.  But your best bet is really to have your assistant eye-match the R3D in Avid to the existing built timelines, or just start over properly in Avid.

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 4:24 PM In reply to

• We-Co
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 35

Dang, thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try Avid with the next project then and just go with Resolve wirh this one.

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 5:10 PM In reply to

I'd agree moving between NLEs is never a  smart move and with sync'd multicam you are opening a world or pain.

Either stick with premiere as you've done the leg work or rebuild in Avid.

Resolve has come a long way and has some nice tools but for me its still a bunch or 3rd party applications toggled between tabs and not as joined up as I'd like its also not nearly as robust in term sof media management if you need that sort of stability.

But if you aren't used to Media Composer (or Resolve) and are thinking of switching and learning mid job do you really think it will be easy and painless? Premiere and be stable and is for many editors. it maybe less work to work out why its flakey and resolve that. If it turns out to be hardware or OS related you may have similar issues with whatever NLE. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 8:14 PM In reply to

• We-Co
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 35

Premiere is not stable and I've been using it for over a decade. Nothing is easy, and I'm more than willing to learn a new software package. The job isn't super big, but I'd like to learn on a job as it forces me to learn faster.

Maybe I will rebuiod in Avid. I just want a software package that won't crash when working with RAW files, especially when I'm trying to export a 12-bit master.

Adobe would be the perfect software if it didn't crash every 5 mins. I'm sick of working with it.

• Fri, Jul 13 2018 3:22 AM In reply to

• We-Co
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 35

Is there anyway to stop my trial since I'm no longer trying Avid? I'd like to save it for the next project I start from scratch.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller