Latest post Tue, Jul 3 2018 3:20 PM by NYnutz. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 2:59 PM

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,550

Workstation names with dot and number allowed?

In shared storage environments I know Media Composer adds a .# to the end of the local machine name in the media folders. That is to say PCNAME.1, OTHERPCNAME.1, etc.

Does anyone know how Media Composer will behave if the machine name itself contains a .#? Let's say I have computers that are named; MEDIACOMPOSER.1 and MEDIACOMPOSER.2. When they connect to shared storage and create their respecitive folders in the Avid MediaFiles folder will those folder names be labeled MediaComposer.1.1 and MediaComposer.2.1? Or, will Media Composer choke on this?

Thanks

Charles

HP Z400, z220, and z420 workstations with 8GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro 2000 graphics cards. Windows 7 64-bit SP1. ISIS 5000 4.2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 3:20 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,325

Re: Workstation names with dot and number allowed?

I can't tell you how it would behave, but I can tell you that periods in hostnames are not RFC compliant and shouldn't be used if you rely on DNS in your environment. The only special character or punctuation that is allowed in hostnames is a dash "-"  

the issue with using a period is that the .# may be interpreted as a domain or "discrete label", which could potentially cause failed reverse lookups and other issues with DNS.  

See this thread for more information.

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller