Latest post Thu, Jul 12 2018 1:23 PM by Filbert. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 11:51 AM

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2018
    • South Africa
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

MC 2018 cc effect instead of normal colour correction?

Hi

I'm new to the forum and have recently moved to my own setup and now have mc2018. I was previously on 8.2 symphony at another studio.

I started a new project and now cant get colour correction to apply a colour correction, it continually applies a colour correction EFFECT. 

It will read other projects with colour correction but if I apply a new colour correction it alway applys it as an effect.

What have I got wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Avid MC 2018; AMD Treadripper 1950x; Asus Zenith Extreem; msi gtx970; 32gig Gskill trident 3200mhz; EVO 960 250 sys drive; ibm 5014 raid0 with 3x3tb WD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 5:13 AM In reply to

Re: MC 2018 cc effect instead of normal colour correction?

Hi,

On your current system do you have the symphony option? Without it, color correction appears as an effect.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:19 AM In reply to

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • South Africa
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Hi Camoscato

I don't have symphony option on this system.  I though there was something werong as ever since the old Avid express pro, Avid Meridian etc. it has always been a colour correction not an effect.  This is a serious change and slowdown to any editing as I now need to step into every single clip during colour correction and thus forgo any advantage of 3 up display and then jump through hoops if I put it in the wrong place.  It also negates some of what makes Avid great and that is visual feedback on the timeline.

Is there any way to change it, this is the first system in the last 10 years I have edited on that does not have the symphony option. I don't need the sympony featrures for the new work I will be taking on.

Thanks

Avid MC 2018; AMD Treadripper 1950x; Asus Zenith Extreem; msi gtx970; 32gig Gskill trident 3200mhz; EVO 960 250 sys drive; ibm 5014 raid0 with 3x3tb WD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:42 PM In reply to

Julian:
    ever since the old Avid express pro, Avid Meridian etc. it has always been a colour correction not an effect
    This is not correct. Color Correction was always an effect, it is only with Symphony that you get the option to grade subclip/tape/program track etc. (as well as the option to apply it as an effect).

Julian:
    I now need to step into every single clip during colour correction
    Huh, why?

Julian:
    Is there any way to change it
    Rent the Symphony option for a month?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 5 2018 8:27 AM In reply to

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • South Africa
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Hi

I need to step in on re-edit projects done on symphony that have the correction at the base and if I use the current correction style, without stepping in, then it applies a second correction on top of the correction that is already applied instead of the existing correction, this is also true for any effects dependant on the correction.  Also, if I have applied, say, a paint effect to a clip, then want to re adjust the colour correction you need to step in as not to apply an additional correction effect.

The other issue I have is, unlike most other effects, you can't see content of the nest on the timeline if colour was applied at the top of the nest.   It lands up a bit like Premier Pro…. one big long unidentifiable stipe that you need to open the effects editor and read the fine print to see what is going on in the nest.

Unfortunately, the Symphony option is not an option for me at this time.  I just thought I had something wrong and that it could be changed.  The downgrade to the standard version is far worse than it says on paper.

Thanks

Edit:

I think a if I adjust my workflow it won't be so much of a slowdown for the new projects.  The immense amount of work done by the developers to improve the responsiveness of the timeline will also make a big difference.

• Thu, Jul 12 2018 6:06 AM In reply to

• Gretski
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 166
    • Points 2,235

To avoid stepping in, put the final colour effects onto an upper track rather than nesting.

There is a trick that allows you to sub divide the upper track to match the edits on V1.

I now have symphony but my MC workflow used to be:

V1 = main edit

apply a Reformat effect to V3 ( for example)

use the sub divide function on the Reformat tool ( referencing V1)

Select all the clips on V3

Double click the colour correction icon in the effcts pallet ( or a previously set up CC icon in a bin) to replace all the Reformat effects.

Asus X299, i7 7820, Nvidia 2000M 32GB ram, NVME SSD 8.9.1 ( yes its very fast!) [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2018 8:06 AM In reply to

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • South Africa
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Hi Gretski

Brilliant thank you.  I tried it and this will get me back up to speed.  It will also help maintain visual feedback on the timeline.

• Thu, Jul 12 2018 1:23 PM In reply to

• Filbert
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 6 2010
    • Posts 37
    • Points 525

@Gretski

Nice trick, thanks for sharing! Yes

Filbert

2x MC 8.8.4 | Mac Pro Early 2009 / MacOS 10.12.4 | Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB 1066MHz DDR3, Hitachi 640GB 7200... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller