Latest post Tue, Jul 3 2018 4:01 PM by George Angeludis. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 2 2018 6:20 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Video freezing

Hi folks,

I haven't done any editing in a while so these may be newbie questions. So here goes: I have a PC with an i7 motherboard and 16 gigs of RAM. I am importing some video shot in .mov format at 72mbps, from a Panasonic G3 camera. After importing (and syncing audio), I noticed that the video doesn't play back smoothly, it seems to stutter or even freeze up for a few frames, then it catches up and plays ok until the next time it stumbles.

I've tried playing it back using the lowest (yellow screen) resolution but it still hangs. I've never had this problem with this computer and camera so I can't figure out why it is hanging up.

I could bump up the RAM to 32 gigs, but not sure if this will solve issue. Or should I re-digitize everything at a much lower resolution and then up-rez later? Currently it is at Dnx 175 but I could certainly do my editing at a lower resolution if this would solve the problem. I'm also wondering if I need to set up a RAID array in order to work with this material.

Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated, I need to solve this before the next shoot which will produce a ton of video that will need to be imported.

Thanks to all!

• Mon, Jul 2 2018 7:27 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Freezing follow up

I just noticed that at the very top of the timeline window, on some of my clips, there are tiny red dots and a few short streaks that line up with the video issues, stumbling, freezing for a few frames, etc. They don't seem to appear on all of the clips, but are present on some of them.

I am totally stumped here; norrmally this computer plays back the files imported from my Panasonic GH3 perfectly so I don't understand. These files are the best and probably biggest the camera can produce, .mov at 72mbps; is this the problem?

I have a big shoot coming up so I really need to figure this out. Thanks!!

• Mon, Jul 2 2018 7:33 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Long Island
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,290

Re: Video freezing

I would definitely experiment with one of the clips at DNX36 before re-transcoding everything.

Also whats the hard drive that your transcoding to? Trying another hard drive could narrow down the problem as well.  

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9.4/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.13/MC8.9.4/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 2 2018 7:35 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

thanks, I'll try the clip experiment. Hard drive is a standard SATA III internal drive.

• Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:20 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,598
    • Points 60,090

Re: Freezing follow up

Not familiar with the GH3 but what resolution and codec are those mov files? MOV is not a codec, it's just a wrapper. Is it possible that you are now using UHD footage whereas previously you were shooting HD?

Red dots probably mean CPU limited playback but I can never remember. Could also be disk limited. 

You mentioned that you import the footage to DNxHD 175 - is that correct? This answers my first question, I suppose. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 12:23 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Hi Barkin,

Well, I am getting thoroughly confused. What I've found is that some interviews I shot a couple weeks ago with the same camera and same settings play back just fine, and they were imported to Dnx 175. Does this mean I need to re-import the second batch of clips from the more recent interview?

I tried re-importing one of the recent clips to Dnx 36 and it played back fine. So I'm assuming the weak link is somewhere in my computer system, but, since I am not very good with tech stuff, it might be something else.

If I decided to re-import everything to a lower rez, does this mean I could just delete the media, not the clips and then bring everything back in at low rez? Would this affect sub-clips and sequences? Basically I have sync'ed up maybe two hours worth of footage to audio from a Tascam audio recorder, and I would rather not have to repeat this laborious process.

The footage is playing back from a standard SATA III hard drive (6gbps) and I haven't had any problems in the past, although this is the first time I've imported this much stuff.

As far as resolution, I think all the footage is 1920X1024, 30p, using the ALL-INTRA codec. This is according to the info screen on the camera. The footage from last week is at 24 fps, so I guess I screwed up by not checking the settings more carefully. Maybe I need to open a second project at 30fps for this latest stuff and hopefully, I can combine it all without too many headaches.

Anybody who can help, I'd really appreciate it...I need to figure this out soon!  Thanks!

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 12:29 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 537
    • Points 7,235

Thanks, ramz

I tried the clip experiment and it played back fine at Dnx 36. However, I'm thinking my problem might lie elsewhere. Turns out I inadvertently shot the latest interviews at 30 fps, instead of 24 fps, like the other footage from two weeks ago. My bad.

Do you think this is causing the buggy issues? Maybe I should open a new project in 30 fps, just to see if this would correct the problem?

If I do re-import all the footage at Dnx 36, could I just delete the media, not the clips, and then low-rez? Would this affect sub-clips, sequences, etc.?

Hope I haven't screwed myself royally. Thanks for your help and anyone else who could pitch in here.

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 6:02 AM In reply to

bushfilm:
    I just noticed that at the very top of the timeline window, on some of my clips, there are tiny red dots and a few short streaks that line up with the video issues, stumbling, freezing for a few frames, etc.

Any other colors along with the red? Yellow or blue, perhaps?

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 9:32 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 532
    • Points 6,770

camoscato:

bushfilm:
    I just noticed that at the very top of the timeline window, on some of my clips, there are tiny red dots and a few short streaks that line up with the video issues, stumbling, freezing for a few frames, etc.

Any other colors along with the red? Yellow or blue, perhaps?

Here's the Avid document that explains the colour codes...

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/troubleshooting/en274819

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 11:12 AM In reply to

When you import you amke new Avid media at whatever resolution your media creation is set to of the whole clip.

AMA linking allows you to Transcode to a resolution of your choice but of selected partys of the clip if you wish. All if you wnat to or subclips.

Playback ability will be limited by the speed of the drive (if it s single HDD then its sustained datarate maybe low) SSD is better RAID of a number of HDDs better as well.

If the media is the wrong framerate on import it is converted (crudely) the the project framerate. If you AMA link then it adds a motion adapter to play at the project framerate.

And don;t forget the source media is longGOP so a low datarate would be expected 72mbps for longGOP is pretty high and certainly higher than frame based DNx175.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 3:47 PM In reply to

Pat,

you lost me here.

How is the 72mb/s higer than 175?

P.S. I use the 200 All-I codec 4:2:2 10 bit from my Panasonic GH5 transcoded to DNxHD185x (PAL)

and it works flawlessly (untill too many FX's added) on my old PC.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 4:01 PM In reply to

bushfilm:

Hi folks,

I haven't done any editing in a while so these may be newbie questions. So here goes: I have a PC with an i7 motherboard and 16 gigs of RAM. I am importing some video shot in .mov format at 72mbps, from a Panasonic G3 camera. After importing (and syncing audio), I noticed that the video doesn't play back smoothly, it seems to stutter or even freeze up for a few frames, then it catches up and plays ok until the next time it stumbles.

I've tried playing it back using the lowest (yellow screen) resolution but it still hangs. I've never had this problem with this computer and camera so I can't figure out why it is hanging up.

I could bump up the RAM to 32 gigs, but not sure if this will solve issue. Or should I re-digitize everything at a much lower resolution and then up-rez later? Currently it is at Dnx 175 but I could certainly do my editing at a lower resolution if this would solve the problem. I'm also wondering if I need to set up a RAID array in order to work with this material.

Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated, I need to solve this before the next shoot which will produce a ton of video that will need to be imported.

Thanks to all!

Can you tell us which is the CPU?

On which MC version are you?

32 G will for sure make a difference.

SSD for OS.

RAID 0 is also a must (keep backups of the projects always).

There is no need to use x if your material isn't a 10 bit and from what I know G3 doesn't shoot 10bit.

So choosing 175 plain is better or even 145.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.11 with Symphony Option on Dongle/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller