Latest post Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:09 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 26 2018 2:26 PM

• Rafael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 25 2018
    • Bettega
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

I've tried to find if my question was previously answered but I had no luck finding it.  

I have a project with dozens of hundreds of files, and some of them got cheekily ingested by the editor without appropriate naming. Not comes the moment of EDLs and licensing of the material... 

Most of the clips "uncorrectly named" were already renamed inside avid, althought whenever I try to export an EDL, it refers to the original name (Source file) 

Is there a way to produce an EDL which reflects to the "Name" of the clip instead of the "source file"?

On the List tool, when I  tick clip names, the clip names come underneath each event on the EDL, but the name of the file of each numbered event still referring to the name at ingesting. 

Any help appreciated. 

R

Nexis environment 6.2.2.90 Three macs on 8.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jun 26 2018 2:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,330
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: EDL question

Clip names are not Source File names and that is why an EDL form Avid shows source.  Clip names are totally irrelevant for EDL purposes (although you can add the clip name as an optional note in the EDL).

Source File names are derived from the Source File column. EDL Manager will look at either Source File or Tape.   So thats as far as I know the only way to do it ( add the clip name as an optional note in the EDL).

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 4:07 PM In reply to

• Ryan Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 12 2006
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 38
    • Points 495

Hi Rafael-

You could try using Davinci Resolve for this... We use the software as a general utility for converting EDLs/AAFs, transcoding files, etc.

Resolve can be told to 'Extract reel names from EDL comments' (look in Project Settings, General Options, Conform Options)

When you import your EDL, Resolve will utilize the sources listed in the comments rather than the traditional tape/reel values. Once you have the timeline built, you can export the EDL from Resolve with the new values in place. There may be limitations on character counts, by the way... Not sure if names over 32 characters are supported without being truncated.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

MacPro's, OSX 10.12.6, MC 2018.12.1, Nexis [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 2:20 PM In reply to

• Rafael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 25 2018
    • Bettega
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thank you all for taking the time to go thought that. 

Considering the amount of clips with this issue been low, I will leave it and manually point out to them. 

Best

Rafael 

Nexis environment 6.2.2.90 Three macs on 8.6.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:07 PM In reply to

You may want to reach out to Michael Phillips. His reporting tool might be of help here. Michael at 24p dot com.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:09 PM In reply to

Also:why not copy the clip names to the Labroll or Camroll column and use that to generate the EDL?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller