Latest post Sat, Jun 9 2018 4:00 PM by Wren. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 8 2018 9:45 PM

• Wren
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,270

Apple ProRes HQ Import or AMA Transcode

Hi there,

I'm about to begin a project that was shot in Apple ProRes HG.  Is there any advantage to importing the footage at AppleRez HQ MXF Codec, over DNXHD 175X.  Or should I AMA it and then transcode.  

I should add that I will be exporting the final cut in Apple ProRez QT.

Running Avid MC 8.9.2, OS Sierra, on Older Mac Pro 3.0 12 Core.

Thanks in advance.

Wren

System A: 3.0 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.12.6 Software: MC 8.9.4, System B: MacBook Pro 2012, i7, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.6 Software: MC... [view my complete system specs]

"Pisces mortui solum *** flumine natant" - "Only dead fish go with the flow"

• Sat, Jun 9 2018 8:41 AM In reply to

Re: Apple ProRes HQ Import or AMA Transcode

If you import and it allows a fast import then thats a transparant data transfer and rewrap to MXF if it does a transcode on the way in less good. Also if you import and need to bring that media back in you will have to batch import the whole file not just the part you are using.

IF you AMA link and consolidate then you can AMA relink if needed easier.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Jun 9 2018 1:28 PM In reply to

• Wren
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,270

Thanks Pat,

So just to clarify, you're suggesting the better route is to AMA link the ProRes files and then transcode them to a Dnxhd codec (175X) to work with them, rather than using direct import?  

Wren.

System A: 3.0 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.12.6 Software: MC 8.9.4, System B: MacBook Pro 2012, i7, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.6 Software: MC... [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Jun 9 2018 1:51 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,264
    • Points 39,610

Here is my opinion.  It is based on the needs of the project.  And there are lots of ifs and thens.

If this is a simple project that does not need any graphics work in After Effects, I consolidate ProRes material making it ProRes MXF Avid media.  This is the fastest way to get it into the managed Avid media world and there is no change to the essence of the media.

The downside is that this is a special form of ProRes. The only other program I have found that CAN use it is Resolve.  So that is good.  But Resolve can not create ProRes .mxf.  That is not really a big deal. 

If you drag one of those files directly into After Effects, it will not work.  AE can not use it. That can be a real pain.

If I only have one shot that needs to go into AE, I make a mixdown to DNX and drag that in.  Or some other trick.

Also, and this is a bit of a gut feeling, I have noticed that consolidated ProRes (ProRes MXF) plays a bit better than it's equivalent DNx codec.  Specifically in multicam.  That can be useful, but I would test this for yourself.

There are times I transcode to DNx.  Example:  I have been getting a lot of large raster ProRes 444 from the Ari AMIRA.  I do not really need the 444 but I do need the large raster.  So I transcode to DNx HR HQ.  I could go to ProRes 422 HQ but I have wanted to get more experience with the DNx HR codecs.  The jury is still out.

But this is all not set in stone.  I tend to really think about the project and what I will need to do and who I will be working with in other tools.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Jun 9 2018 4:00 PM In reply to

• Wren
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 92
    • Points 1,270

Hi Jef,

Much thanks.  This is a relatively straight forward edit, and I won't be dealing with taking it into AE for GFX etc.  So I think I will go the ProRes HQ MXF route.  The fact that it will work in Resolve is helpful as I will likely color correct there.  I did a quick test and there is really no difference between the original camera files and the ProRes HQ MXF files.

Thanks again for the input.

Wren.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller