Latest post Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:35 PM by camoscato. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 4 2018 8:49 AM

Focus switching away every 10 secs

Hi all,

MC 2018.4 on OS 10.12.6. Every 10 seconds something is taking focus from whatever application is foremost, holding it for a few seconds, and then releasing it. I opened Force Quit to try and see if I could tell what it is, but there's nothing there aside from Finder and MC. I've quit all the stuff in the upper right (dropbox, adobe creative cloud, etc) that I could find. Any ideas of where else to look?

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jun 4 2018 10:07 PM In reply to

Re: Focus switching away every 10 secs

Anything in the Console? (Apple's...not Avid's.)

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jun 5 2018 4:45 PM In reply to

Thanks, Kevin. (I'm a PC person, I didn't even know there WAS a console!) The producer and I looked around in the console and found what appears to be the error message driving the problem, but couldn't tell what application was causing the error. The producer spent some time chatting online with Apple tech support, but didn't get anywhere.

I'll be back there in a couple of weeks for another job, and will try to figure it out again then.

Thanks again for the response!

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Jun 7 2018 2:17 PM In reply to

The process making the log entry is listed after the system name in each entry. There are some macOS-specific ones, so if you get a chance to look let us know.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jun 7 2018 5:54 PM In reply to

Will do. Thanks again!

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 10:11 AM In reply to

Ok, I'm back at this facility, so here are a couple of screen shots of the Mac console. I aplogize for my stupidity, but I don't know enough about Mac OS to know what I'm looking at. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 10:13 AM In reply to

Another screen shot.

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 2:22 PM In reply to

The two issues I see in your console are related to com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4 and com.safenet.sentinel.kext. They must both be in the /Library/LaunchDaemons folder and are crashing and then trying to relaunch and crashing again.

Postgre SQL is a database manager. I’m not sure what software you have that is calling for that, you might try removing the file from LaunchDaemons and leaving it on your desktop to see what happens. (I don’t have that file on my system.)

The other one is related to the Sentinel drivers, which Avid does use for dongles. Are you on a dongle? Or is there other software you’re using a USB key for? If not, you could also try moving that file to the desktop.

I might recommend a complete Manual Uninstall of MC, just to make sure any other conflicts are cleared up and then reinstall, including the Sentinel driver if needed.

The instructions, while slightly out of date, are in the START HERE thread at the top of the forum. If you need assistance, let me know.

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:35 PM In reply to

Many thanks again, Kevin. I'll be back there in 2 weeks to give these a try.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller