Latest post Wed, May 23 2018 8:27 PM by Butcher. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2018 7:40 PM

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,620

Nexis Pro for a FCPX facility - madness or worth considering?

I work at a small post production company and we're looking into shared storage.  We edit almost exclusively in FCPX and occassionally Premiere, but never Avid (unfortunately).  We also have a ProTools station, Davinci Resolve for color, and all computers are Macs except for 2 PCs that run After Effects/C4D/Blender.

In the search for shared storage I saw that Avid's Nexis Pro is super competitive when it comes to price, which caught me off guard.  About $10K for 40TB - that's about the cheapest I've seen so far.

That said - does anyone use Nexis Pro without using Media Composer?  Does it really work with FCPX?  Can you store FCPX Libraries (project files) directly on the storage and work off them?  Does anyone have real world experience with FCPX and Nexis Pro and have any insights they can share?

If it helps. we'd want to have 4 or 5 systems connected via 10GbE, with another 4 - 5 connected over 1Gb, starting with probably 2 x 40TB media packs. Thanks in advance for any insights you might have. 

• Wed, May 23 2018 8:14 PM In reply to

Re: Nexis Pro for a FCPX facility - madness or worth considering?

We test and fully support FCP-X with NEXIS. We've worked closely with Apple and they've recently fixed a few issues we were having with storing the Library on a workspace.

There are a number of non-Media Composer production companies that use NEXIS. We started to support FCP-X a number of years ago with ISIS.

From the very beginning the NEXIS | PRO was designed to support non-Avid editors.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, May 23 2018 8:27 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,620

Re: Nexis Pro for a FCPX facility - madness or worth considering?

Thank you Bob.  That's good news that you're working with Apple and actively supporting FCPX.  We'll reach out to sales to discuss the Nexis Pro line.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller