Latest post Fri, May 18 2018 8:29 PM by Lowell. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 17 2018 4:20 PM

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 9 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

Timewarp speed up reverse leads to freeze frame?

Hello, smart people - 

I have a clip on my timeline of a garage door closing, only I want it to open and fast.

So I applied a timewarp reverse to the clip (which is originally 31 seconds long) at -1000%. My clip then becomes a freeze frame of the last frame of the clip. The whole 31 seconds is a freeze frame. I have to drag out both ends of my clip to find where the footage starts moving to get to clip I originally wanted.

I assume I'm doing this in the dumbest way possible - this can't be the way it's supposed to work. I tried a recommended trick where I put the footage in the source monitor and apply the effect there, but I only got a BONK for my troubles. It wouldn't apply for some reason.

Anyone who can lead me to the promised land on this one, your efforts will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Fri, May 18 2018 3:13 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 81
    • Points 985

Re: Timewarp speed up reverse leads to freeze frame?

TIMEWARP basically uses metadata NOT media, to produce the motion effect that you want.

In your case, you've parked at the first frame and told it to play backwards at 1000% - but, as there's no media before frame 1, it just holds the last known piece of media (the first frame) for the entire effect.
    The solution is to do your effect as a Motion Effect, where MC will create new media that allows your effect. (Load the clip, mark In and Out [optional; clear In/Out to do whole clip], select TOOLS->Motion Effect Editor and set your desired speed.

This creates a Motion Clip, cut that into your timeline, use Promote if you want to edit the Speed parameters...

See how that goes.

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro Media Composer 8.6.3 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4 Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500 [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Fri, May 18 2018 8:29 PM In reply to

• Lowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 9 2010
    • Posts 25
    • Points 325

Re: Timewarp speed up reverse leads to freeze frame?

N Ryan:

TIMEWARP basically uses metadata NOT media, to produce the motion effect that you want.

In your case, you've parked at the first frame and told it to play backwards at 1000% - but, as there's no media before frame 1, it just holds the last known piece of media (the first frame) for the entire effect.
    The solution is to do your effect as a Motion Effect, where MC will create new media that allows your effect. (Load the clip, mark In and Out [optional; clear In/Out to do whole clip], select TOOLS->Motion Effect Editor and set your desired speed.

This creates a Motion Clip, cut that into your timeline, use Promote if you want to edit the Speed parameters...

See how that goes.

Well, not exactly. My first frame - my in point - is more than halfway into the clip. It would seem to me that I should at least have some movement, even it wasn't the part of the clip I intended. That being said, why wouldn't it be the part of the clip I intended?

That being said - thanks to your post I've figured out why the process of putting the clip in the source monitor and applying the effect there wasn't working: it was a multicam clip. 

So, as it turns out, I was being dense. And thank you for taking the time.

Still, whether I load a raw clip or a multicam on the timeline and apply the -1000% effect to it, I get a freeze frame of the last frame. I don't understand that behavior - is it considered useful in some scenarios?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller