Latest post Wed, May 9 2018 8:16 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 9 2018 8:03 AM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,073
    • Points 12,205

AMA/Link Media management

Just completed a quick turnaround 1hr show using AMA/link. Went very well - this is definitely a viable alternative/adjunct to  ‘managed’ Avid MediaFiles. Edited on standalone Mac & PC, source media synchronised and project bins synchronised manually (rather than shared)

Ran into a couple of issues/questions raised. Be very happy for feedback on these but also I’d encourage you to try it. (We’ve been driven to PPro to deal with native media previously)

1. Having opened (on the PC) a newly copied bin with freshly copied media I need to have that media indexed on the PC. This is simple - I just use source browser to navigate down to the holding folder & the media is indexed & linked automatically. But is there an option to index a parent folder without navigating sub folders?

2. A couple of files had been mistakenly copied to a parent folder then deleted, but the AMA management had somehow grabbed the parent position & would report these two files as offline upon restart. Pointing to child folder in source browser was enough to relink, but I couldn’t make it permenant.

3. When a previously linked clip was renamed in browser, alt-dragging the clip to a bin resulted in ‘need AMA importer’ type dialogue. Link via source browser worked.

4. Looking through the AMA managed folder - there’s AAFs and entries in the XML going back years. And that will multiply if we use AMA all the time. Is there an advised approach to managing this management ?

I will RTFM on AMA when I get some time :-)

• Wed, May 9 2018 8:16 AM In reply to

Re: AMA/Link Media management

the AMA managed folder structure is how MC mimics the Avid media files management and is the cause of some of your issues.

It seems once a path to an AMA source is stored there it isn't updated (hence you moved files issue) You can override it but it still believes the original path is correct.

At the end of each job I trash all the AMA management folders.

I also trash them sometimes if I get source path issues.

If you are worried about trashing them. then just copy somewhere else.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller