Latest post Wed, May 9 2018 1:52 PM by insch. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 8 2018 3:19 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,745

Monitor refresh rate for 25 fps PAL footage

I am prepping video sequences for live performance. I'll be playing them off my current series MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt 3 - HDMI adapter. I'm editing them in MC and then exporting as DXV format for use in Resolume VJ software. I bought a 4K monitor (Samsung UE590D 28") purely for the purpose of checking video playback from my laptop prior to performace. All the video seqs are at 25 fps PAL. However this monitor is locked at 60 Hz refresh rate unless changed with FreeSync which my MBP graphics card does not support. The playback of these sequences is choppy using this setup. However, when I play out to my old Sony TV using the same MBP port and adapter I get smooth playback. I can set the TV to 50 Hz refesh rate within Mac Settings.

I've had this Samsung monitor too long now to return but I'm prepared to sell it and buy a better suited one but all the monitors I've looked at seem to have similar refresh rate setups. What should I do? Should I look at TVs instead? What is the best way to check the video output of my laptop?

Thank you Yes

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 9 2018 3:20 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,430

Re: Monitor refresh rate for 25 fps PAL footage

I would try a Blackmagic Design mini monitor or equivalent (AJA) to get a frame for frame relationship on your display.

i got mine to get around the tearing you see when you output from a graphics card to a display that is not at the frame rate of your video, basically the computer draws a frame at its sync rate, with no regard for the frame rate of the video.

The mini monitor send out a video frame with a sync signal so the display scans at the video rate.

They are quite cheap for the HD version on the second hand market.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 9 2018 11:12 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,745

Thanks Martin

I did try the BM mini monitor a while back and struggled to get it set up with my video software but willing to give it another go. It seems like either way I need to let go of my Samsung monitor since it won't handle 50Hz unless with Freesync. I might buy a small HD TV to check video playback - then use the Blackmagic in between the laptop and that TV. Picture quality is not crucial. I just need to know that playback is stable from my laptop.

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 9 2018 1:52 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 227
    • Points 2,745

Someone alerted me to SwitchResX http://www.madrau.com/index.html and I have now installed it, selected 1080p25 (PAL) and the playback is now stable. I had no idea there was a bit of software out there that did this. So far so good. This might save the monitor for me!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller