Latest post Thu, May 10 2018 6:34 PM by aVienna. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 6 2018 6:02 PM

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 347
    • Points 4,580

Fastest way to create a h264 .mp4 from Avid?

is it to make a quicktime reference and use Sorenson or is there any other smart ways to do this?

• Sun, May 6 2018 9:21 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Vienna
    • Posts 60
    • Points 695

Re: Fastest way to create a h264 .mp4 from Avid?

perhaps not what you seek, this is an enterprise solution, and runs in the (on premise) cloud. they advertize 100x realtime. I guess your hardware is the limitation.

https://bitmovin.com/on-premise-download-e-brochure/

If you have a realy fast upload internet connectivity that might be an option to do the encoding on their cloud service. You upload your source material into your cloud drop box and from their it flows into their encoder. I have tested it with AWS and worked nicely. Hardest thing was to understand how to connect my AWS file storage space to their service. But that is doable. Input format is more or less what ever you can think of. There are other companies who offer such service. Some also offer Apple certified ProRes output.

1) MC Symphony option 2018.4, HP Z420: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 6 cores @3.50GHz, 40GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Z TurboDrive 256GB as system disc, Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 7 2018 4:10 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 139
    • Points 1,430

I’m using Egato turbo h264 for my quick time ref, it seems to harness the “quicksync” on the Intel i7 cpu, it’s generally quite a bit faster than real-time.

i used to use the Elgato hardware accelerator, but the quick sync is faster.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 7 2018 8:00 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 347
    • Points 4,580

aVienna:

perhaps not what you seek, ...

Yes, one of the biggest challenges in this production is access to a fast Internet upload, so I'm looking after a solution that I can solve with buying software/hardware.

• Thu, May 10 2018 6:34 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Vienna
    • Posts 60
    • Points 695

If you have a NVidia Quadro which is not too old this is a fast option:

Export to File... Send to QuickTime Movie with Same as Source

XMedia Recode (www.xmedia-recode.de). I tested with v3.4.3.4
      Custom Profile: mp4
      Codec: either HEVC / H.265 (Nvidia NVENC) or MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 (Nvidia NVENC) - these are the GPU codecs
      select the Quadro as render engine
      Profile: Main
      downscale with Luma bicubic / chroma bilinear scaler (Lanczos is much slower).
      Audio: Fraunhofer FDK AAC, and MPEG-4 AAC LC - but that is not that important for speed

HEVC encoded files do not play with the onboard Windows apps, but play nicely with MPC-HC. MPEG-4 AVC plays with the onboard players.

Windows Task-manager says GPU has 99% load while encoding. When I select the CPU codecs my 4 cores Xeon (system  #2) is slower than my Quadro P400.

Would be interesting if someone finds optimal parameters. We then can share here in the forum the settings. It is a simple text file.

For HEVC you need at least a Maxwell 2nd gen. See GPU with NVENC: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

1) MC Symphony option 2018.4, HP Z420: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2, 6 cores @3.50GHz, 40GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Z TurboDrive 256GB as system disc, Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller