Latest post Mon, Mar 26 2018 9:31 PM by BobRusso. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 24 2018 1:15 AM

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 51
    • Points 730

Data Migration Utility: ISIS 5000 To NEXIS E4

Hi All, 

We just had a new NEXIS E4 and SDA installed today and it's up and running on the same address space as our existing ISIS 5000. 

The reason for the install was that we were filling up the ISIS and running out of space. I see that the recommended method for migrating a partition from the ISIS (4.7.8) to the NEXIS (7.11.0.8) is to use the Avid ISIS Data Migration Utility. 

I installed the Avid ISIS Data Migration Utility on one of our Mac edit bays that was connected to both the ISIS and the NEXIS using the NEXIS client manager v 7.11.0.8, and had a parition on both the ISIS and NEXUS with the same name mounted. When I attempt to open the Avid ISIS Data Migration Utility, I get the following error:

Avid ISIS 5000 or ISIS 7000 must be installed to use this software

Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

• Sat, Mar 24 2018 12:01 PM In reply to

Re: Data Migration Utility: ISIS 5000 To NEXIS E4

The ISIS data migration utility was build to migrate media from a unity to an ISIS. The 'added value' of the Utility was the automatic creation of the workspaces on the ISIS with the same names as the Unity. When using a lot of workspaces, which in the old OMF days was the norm, this could save some time.

AFAIK Avid has not developed a new Nexis migration utility with the same fuctional philosophy. Probably because the amount of files that can be stored in a workspace is basically almost unlimited compared to a decade ago so the amount of workspaces can be a lot less. But only Avid can comment on the real reason.

I did a Unity to Nexis migration a few months ago and use a utility called beyond compare from scooter software for any data migration. https://www.scootersoftware.com/ It comes with 1 month of free use which is more than enough for most migrations. Versions for windows, mac os and linux exist. Works like a charm.

If you want automated migration you can also look at a utility called limagito http://limagito.com/. But that only works on Windows.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 5:23 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 51
    • Points 730

Thanks Jeroen. I'm familiar with utilities like beyond compare or rsync. I was hoping the Data Migration utility would actually take advantage 10GbE connection between the NEXIS and ISIS rather then having to run the data migration through one of the 1Gb connected bays. 

Side question, is it possible to install the NEXIS client on the ISIS itself (since it's a windows OS) and then run the migration from the ISIS using one of the third party utilities? Anyone see any issue with this?

Thanks!

EDIT: Spelling

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 5:30 PM In reply to

I think you are running the app incorrectly.

If I remember correctly you don't login in the Client Manager. Once you start the Migration Tool it will ask you to log in to each server as an Admin. It will mount the source workspace it need automatically and it will CREATE the mirror workspace on the target server automatically.

You cannot install the client on the server.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 26 2018 7:18 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 51
    • Points 730

Thanks Dom, 

Running the Migration Tool with out the client manager open still results in the same error of needing ISIS 5000 or 7000 installed. 

I'll probably just end up using chronosync to migrate the partions.

Thanks

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 7:22 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,220
    • Points 27,445
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

There currently isn't a NEXIS version of the DMU, we are working on making a version that will work with NEXIS and ISIS. The ISIS 4.7 version of DMU will work on a Windows computer running the NEXIS Client, it is not functioning on a Mac with the NEXIS Client.

This will require the ISIS System Director to be running 4.7.5 at least.

A workspace with a matching name will need to be manually created on NEXIS, DMU won't do this automatically.

There are a few changes between NEXIS and ISIS when reporting used space. ISIS uses GiB 1000 based but we were displaying GB. With NEXIS this was changed to GB - 1024 based.

You will need to make the workspace "larger" on the NEXIS to be able to copy all the media over.

For example, 10GiB = 10.7 GB. There are a number of websites that does this conversion, I like this one: Convert Units

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 7:27 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,220
    • Points 27,445
    • Avid Employee

dklein:

Running the Migration Tool with out the client manager open still results in the same error of needing ISIS 5000 or 7000 installed. 

I'll probably just end up using chronosync to migrate the partions.

It sounds like you're trying to do this on a Mac. It isn't working on a Mac currently.

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 7:42 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 51
    • Points 730

Thanks Bob,

Yes I was definitely trying to do it on our Macs. I might be able to find a PC I could use, but out of curiousity, does the Data Migration Tool directly transmit data from the ISIS to the NEXIS, or does it have to pass through the PC client? Basically I'm asking it it's faster then using something like chronosync and taking advantage of the ISIS and NEXIS 10GbE connections. 

Thanks

• Mon, Mar 26 2018 9:31 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,220
    • Points 27,445
    • Avid Employee

The data transfers via the client, not directly ISIS to NEXIS. It does take advantage of the NEXIS Client driver and does optimized reads and writes.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller