Latest post Mon, Apr 9 2018 12:58 PM by TVJohn. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 23 2018 9:15 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 713
    • Points 10,855

Effects Influencing ALL Layers Below [Open Letter to Avid]

So I've spent yet another afternoon fighting with Media Composer because applying an effect will always make that effect influence everything below it.  Why?  Again, no editor ever in the history of time wanted the timeline to work in this unbearable counter-intuitive way.

Is there even a plan to EVER fix the effect structure? 

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Sat, Mar 24 2018 7:53 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,292
    • Points 62,085

Re: Effects Influencing ALL Layers Below [Open Letter to Avid]

How long has this been going on?

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Mar 24 2018 11:27 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 490
    • Points 6,200

Atomike:
    Is there even a plan to EVER fix the effect structure? 

Even if they did, there's so many other things about the way the software works that really preclude its use in any serious effects work.

Many of the built-in effects are really long-in-the-tooth, and it's only the more modern AVX plugins from Boris etc that have saved the day.

Avid have passed the buck with quite a few of the core elements in recent years - Newblue titler and Fusion connection are typical examples of this.

I've always felt that no one piece of software can be good at everything and that you should choose your products accordingly. For me, it's Media Composer/Symphony for editing, After Effects for vfx/compositing, Resolve for grading, and Protools for sound. Blackmagic have tried to buck this trend by making Resolve everything to everyone and incorporating editing tools and a full DAW into its product. Since the release of version 14, has it really made inroads into the world of editing or sound? In my world most people are still editing on MC, dubbing on Protools and grading on Baselight or Resolve. Why?... because they've invested years in perfecting their skills and expertise in that piece of software. They know the quirks and workarounds; they've streamlined the round-tripping workflow and built up a relationship with both the software company and fellow professionals to continually improve the product. That's the world of broadcast TV that I know, and I suspect a similar mindset prevails in the features industry.

As far as the corporate world is concerned, I know it's much more fluid, with people choosing to do everything on Resolve or the Adobe suite of software - or even FCP.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 24 2018 3:19 PM In reply to

I once had a need to re-position and scale on an Animatte cut-out, but I just couldn’t figure out how— I believe I ran into the layer issue you described 5 years ago. I searched posts here (and via Google) and saw many workarounds posted by experienced MC editors including this one, by TaT, that worked well for me...

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/124241/712998.aspx#712998

I posted a How-To to Tutorials & Tips based on that GREAT tip, above.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 4:35 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 489
    • Points 6,225

MC has the worst effect setup I have ever seen. You shouldn't need to invest in other software to work some basic effect functions in this database and age. Of course u can use AE for indepth effect work but PPro is still usable for what would be basic effects at this point. I doubt it will change but I seriously wish they would just redo how effects work. A simple rotation on track 5 should not affect tracks 4-1

• Mon, Apr 9 2018 6:26 AM In reply to

dew:
    A simple rotation on track 5 should not affect tracks 4-1
    Throw a Picture-In-Picture on it, promote that to 3D, rotate, scale.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2018 12:58 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,305
    • Points 53,220

Even Vegas Pro, you have simple ICONs to turn individual FX on or off on both single clip or single track basis.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller