Latest post Sat, Apr 21 2018 12:05 PM by Martin Fox. 27 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:41 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 15 2018
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Re: Media Composer First Crashed on startup

I hope I have more than remnants of PT left. I use it every day.

I am not sure I have ever had PT first installed on this Mac, but I cannot be 100% sure on that point.

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,469
    • Points 208,615
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Did you look at the MC ReadMe....

Avid Editing Application Compatibility with Pro Tools

General Co-Installation Notes:

• Install Pro Tools first and then Media Composer second.

• You must uninstall all older versions of Media Composer or Pro Tools before installing newer versions.

• Co-install does not support both applications launched simultaneously.

• When you uninstall Pro Tools, choose to uninstall just the application and not the audio drivers or the editing application no longer sees the devices. On a Macintosh Pro Tools 10 system, this is named the “Safe Uninstall.” On a Macintosh Pro Tools 11 system no uninstallation is required. On a Windows Pro Tools 10 or 11 system, you must select the first uninstall option - “Pro Tools Only” - which is not selected by default.

• Mojo SDI will not be supported with Media Composer or Pro Tools 11, but can still be connected in a co-install configuration for use with Pro Tools 10.

• If you install and configure Avid Mojo DX or Nitris DX hardware on your system, the editing application does not use any connected Pro Tools audio device for audio input/output operations. You can also use these audio devices with a software-only version of your Avid editing application.

• If you run into any issues, uninstall both applications and reinstall Pro Tools first, and then reinstall your editing application second.

• Media Composer v5.0 and later and Pro Tools v8.0.3 and later do not include support for the Original Mbox. If you want to use the Original Mbox, you should use Media Composer v4.x and Pro Tools v8.0.1 instead.

• If you want to install your Avid editing application on a system with the Pro Tools Avid Video Engine installed, you must use one of the following configurations:

- Media Composer v5.5/NewsCutter v9.5 and later with Pro Tools v9.0 or later.

- Media Composer v5.0.x/NewsCutter v9.0.x with Pro Tools v8.5 or earlier.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 8:52 PM In reply to

• Nils S
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Hm, just want to note that I do not own PT or PT:F, and that it was never installed on this machine. The EUCON Workstation package for the iPad app doesn't count, right?

Right now I am completely uninstalling MC, wiping all Avid preferences and all plugins to reinstall 2018.4 from scratch. It should at least start up in the 100% stock configuration.

Retina iMac Late 2014, i7, 32GB, macOS 10.13.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:14 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Marianna,

Yes, I saw that. i never had anything earler than PT12.8x on this computer and PT 12 and newer have no uninstaller so all I have ever done is upgrade each time the application manager tells me there is a new version.

I assumed that "On a Macintosh Pro Tools 11 system no uninstallation is required" would also extend to later versions too?

The MC first was installed after Protools and I'm not trying to launch both applications at the same time so I think I have all those conditions covered.

I wil list the other stuff I have installed in case these are common to the others who are having problems.

Garage Band

Apple FC X Pro (problem existed before I installed this which is why I installed it)

IMovie (problem existed before I installed this which is why I installed it)

Antares Autotune

Yamaha Steinberg USB Control 

Some Allen and Heath DAW Control for their QU32 desk

Itunes

ProTools 2018.4 and All the stuff the ProTools installer offers

Jon

• Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:27 PM In reply to

fatjon:
    i never had anything earler than PT12.8x on this computer and PT 12 and newer have no uninstaller so all I have ever done is upgrade each time the application manager tells me there is a new version.

Marianna,

Let me jump on the "me too" bandwagon. About a month ago I did a full wipe of my system, fresh installation of High Sierra, fresh installation of Pro Tools 2018.2 (I think?), my Apollo interface software, RX6 Advanced, and licensed, up-to-date FabFilter plugins. Pro Tools has only been updated through Application Manager. I use Pro Tools daily without problems.

A couple of days ago I downloaded MC|F 2018.4, and I've been having the exact same problem as the other folks in this thread. I've tried the same troubleshooting, with the same results. I have another thread about it: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/184197/856568.aspx

I'd really love to see this resolved. I may have a vested interested in pursuing MC certification in the near future, so getting past the startup screen is going to be important! :-) 

--Kevin

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014); Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7; Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 10:13 PM In reply to

• Nils S
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 110

Here's a lead: I have Waves v9 plugins installed. Moving WaveShell out of the AAX directory fixes the crash for me.
    But this will obviously be a problem for the ProTools users in the thread :-(

As an alternative, and also another observation which might be of interest to the devs:
    When I delete the file ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns before starting MC, it also starts up okay, EVEN WITH the WaveShell AAX Plugin.

Retina iMac Late 2014, i7, 32GB, macOS 10.13.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 16 2018 10:51 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Nils,

thanks for the info.

I don't have Waves BUT I do have vibe phaser.aaxplugin and when I remove it MC First starts up without problems, first time, every time.

I think we are getting closer, it seems to be an AAX plugin problem and we have now identified at least 2 plugins which will cause this crash. I can do without vibe phaser until it's fixed. 

• Tue, Apr 17 2018 12:02 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

I’m having the same crash, I have waves and rx5 plugins.

ill try the isolation process.

martin

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 17 2018 2:24 AM In reply to

I can now launch MC|F.

Based on ideas from this thread, I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time moving plugins around, testing, retesting, and logging everything. First, I'll post my "possible conclusions." Next, I'll post the entire journey.

The following plugins appear to cause the crash reported in this thread:

• iZRX6DeclickerAAXHook.aaxplugin [part of iZotope RX6]
    • iZRX6DeclipperAAXHook.aaxplugin [part of iZotope RX6]
    • Vibe Phaser.aaxplugin, dated Jan 14, 2016 [Pro Tools, v. 12.4.0]
    • AIRVintageFilter.aaxplugin, dated Feb 19, 2015 [Pro Tools, First AIR Effects Bundle 12.0.0?]

Possibly Busted conclusions:

• Deleting the file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns may help plugin-related errors - it only appears to be temporary, or intermittent. The error typically returns on the next launch.

The full journey is posted below, for anyone interested.

--Kevin

Removed entire contents of /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

Deleted /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns

Launched MC|F: Success!

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Universal Audio

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns DOES NOT EXIST

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx…Success!

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/FabFilter* [seven total]

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns STILL DOES NOT EXIST

Launched Pro Tools 2018.4 - It recreated 28 plugins (see screenshot)

Pro Tools also recreated the file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns

Opened a recent Pro Tools project that used FabFilter plugins - all is well

Closed Pro Tools

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6* [iZotope RX6 Advanced - thirteen total]

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns EXISTS AND I’M LEAVING IT

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx…Crash, with reporter

Launched again: Crashed, with no reporter

Launched again: Crashed, WITH reporter (submitted, with this log to this point, but it had an error which was corrected - will resubmit later)

Removed /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6AmbienceMatchAAXHook.aaxplugin

Launched MC|F: Crashed, with reporter

Deleted /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns

Removed /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6ConnectAAXHook.aaxplugin

Removed rest of iZRX6 plugins

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns REAPPEARS

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6ConnectAAXHook.aaxplugin

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns EXISTS AND I’M LEAVING IT

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6AmbienceMatchAAXHook.aaxplugin

Launched Pro Tools (on accident - I double-clicked a plugin I was going to move)

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns was UPDATED

Quit Pro Tools

Launched MC|F (again, just in case): Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx…Success!

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6DeclickerAAXHook.aaxplugin

Launched MC|F: CRASHED, with reporter (Tried to submit log to this point, but it wouldn’t paste - too long?)

Removed AGAIN /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6DeclickerAAXHook.aaxplugin

File /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns STILL EXISTS, UNTOUCHED, AND I’M LEAVING IT

Launched MC|F: CRASHED, with reporter

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION: iZRX6DeclickerAAXHook.aaxplugin is causing a problem

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6DeclipperAAXHook.aaxplugin

Launched MC|F: CRASHED, with reporter

DELETED file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; creates new InstalledAAXPlugIns file; crashes silently, without reporter

Launched MC|F again: InstalledAAXPlugIns wasn’t touched, crashed with reporter

Removed /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6DeclipperAAXHook.aaxplugin

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/iZRX6DecracklerAAXHook.aaxplugin

DELETED file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION: iZRX6DeclipperAAXHook.aaxplugin is also causing a problem

Replaced rest of iZRX6 plugins (see screenshot)

Replaced five FB360 plugins

Replaced twenty AIR plugins

Launched MC|F: InstalledAAXPlugIns wasn’t touched, CRASHED with reporter

Launched MC|F: CRASHED again

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION: One or more of the AIR plugins is also causing a problem

Removed the twenty AIR plugins

Replaced rest of 22 stock plugins (see screenshot)

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; creates new InstalledAAXPlugIns file; crashes with reporter

Removed those last 22 stock plugins

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; creates new InstalledAAXPlugIns file; Success!

Replaced five stock plugins dated Jan 8, 2018 (see screenshot)

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Structure.aaxplugin (dated May 23, 2017)

Replaced fifteen stock plugins dated Jan 14, 2016 (see screenshot)

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; crashes with reporter

Removed /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Vibe Phaser.aaxplugin (on tip from posted above)

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION: Vibe Phaser.aaxplugin, dated Jan 14, 2016, is also causing a problem

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/XPand!2.aaxplugin, dated Feb 19, 2015 (same as AIR plugins)

Replaced first 10 AIR plugins (alphabetical, see screenshot)

WAIT: Something broke. Got an error (see screenshot), then it proceeded to start screen. After quitting, crash reporter came up.

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; creates new InstalledAAXPlugIns file; Success!

No errors when leaving application

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION: Deleting file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns may help plugin-related errors

Launched MC|F again, just in case: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; Success!

Replaced next five AIR plugins (alphabetically, see screenshot)

Replaced last five AIR plugins (alphabetically, see screenshot)

Launched MC|F: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; CRASHES with reporter

Launched MC|F again, just in case: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; CRASHES with reporter

THIS UNDERMINES THE POSSIBLE CONCLUSION that deleting file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns may help plugin-related errors - it only appears to be temporary, or intermittent

Replaced those last five AIR plugins

Launched MC|F again, just in case: Success again!

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/AIRReverb.aaxplugin

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/AIRSpringReverb.aaxplugin

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/AIRStereoWidth.aaxplugin

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/AIRTalkbox.aaxplugin

Replaced /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/AIRVintageFilter.aaxplugin

Launched MC|F again, just in case: Pauses on loading AMPIPluginDSM.avx; CRASHES with reporter

THIS PRACTICALLY BUSTS THE POSSIBLE CONCLUSION that deleting file /Users/kevin/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns may help plugin-related errors - it only appears to be temporary, or intermittent

Removed /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/AIRVintageFilter.aaxplugin

Launched MC|F again, just in case: Success again!

POSSIBLE CONCLUSION: AIRVintageFilter.aaxplugin, dated Feb 19, 2015, is also causing a problem

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014); Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7; Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:30 AM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Kevin

Strange, I'm away from the studio right now but pretty sure I have First Air Effects bundle and not seeing the problem with AIRVintageFilter. Will check later to be sure.

I wonder if /Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/InstalledAAXPlugIns is a cache of plugins which is why it gets created on each start of protools? Not sure why you would need to create that since the plugins all exist together in a folder anyway. That's one for the devs I think.

Jon

• Tue, Apr 17 2018 3:54 PM In reply to

• fatjon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

Today with the vibe plugin removed MC would not start, usual error. Removed AirVintage (which was there last night and not causing the problem) and now it's starting OK.

Not sure what this tells us but just added for completeness. BTW I put vibe back and it does break it again so pretty sure both have the problem as we thought yesterday.

• Tue, Apr 17 2018 4:49 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,561
    • Points 17,060
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

I'm not sure if this is already mentioned here,  MC|First will support AAX and AVX plugins that are ONLY purchased from the Marketplace.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 21 2018 12:05 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

Martin Fox:

I’m having the same crash, I have waves and rx5 plugins.

ill try the isolation process.

martin

so moving the Waves shell out of the AAX plugin folder worked for me

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller