Latest post Tue, Mar 20 2018 10:30 AM by luca.mg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 18 2018 2:58 PM

Importing MXF Files to Avid Media Composer First on a Mac

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to using Avid and am learning how to use it at home with Avid Media Composer First. My employer has given me some footage to work with in my spare time which are .MXF files. 

I am having trouble importing these files into my project. I have tried creating a MXF folder within the Avid Media Files folder via Applications, but have had no luck.

Does anybody have a solution?

Thanks 

• Tue, Mar 20 2018 1:31 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

Re: Importing MXF Files to Avid Media Composer First on a Mac

It depends on what kind of MXF files they are.  MXF is just a container.  Many different codecs can be inside.  Do you know what tool created these files?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Mar 20 2018 3:31 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,478
    • Points 44,820
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

First, check the format (as Jef said). MXF can hold a number of different formats (Operational Patterns, or OP for short). Media Composer uses the Op-Atom format. Some producers (e.g. Sony XDCAM) are in OP-1A format.

If your media is in the Op-Atom format, you can use them directly by creating a numbered directory in your Avid media directory (this is the one that has MXF as the top level and contains a directory simply numbered 1). Create a directory like 2 (or 10 or whatever) and place your files in there. When you start MC, it will scan all of the files and put them into the database. You can then use the Media Tool in MC to locate the files and place them into your bin(s). This is not the only way of ingesting these files, but it's what I use.

If you're using OP-1A files from a Sony XDCAM, then you can link to the files to ingest them into MX. Note that you don't link directly to the files; you link to the top level directory containing the XDCAM structure. I forget which directory that is (you can do a search here on the forums to find it; there's probably a document on how to do it as well).

If you have single MXF OP-1A files, then you may need to transcode them to OP-Atom (or something else) first. Unfortunately, my editing system is currently in pieces on the floor while I diagnose a hardware issue, so I can't currently check for the right procedure. Do a search here for op 1a and see what you get. Note that if they talk about Unity TransferManager (or whatever the name is now), you won't have that unless you have one of Avid's centralized storage systems.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Mar 20 2018 10:30 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Hi bobbybobby21 and welcome to the forums

bobbybobby21:
    I have tried creating a MXF folder within the Avid Media Files folder via Applications, but have had no luck.

If the files are avid media files, make sure that You drop them in the proper location, on a Mac that would be /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1, or whichever number You choose for the target subfolder, please note that the "Avid MediaFiles" folder has to be at the root level (the top) of the hard drive. On startup MC will build the media database files, once done open the Finder and locate the .mdb file (eg /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/001/msmMMOB.mdb) and drop it into a bin, all of the clips involved will populate the bin itself.

If the files are not Avid media files, You'll have to link them, and perhaps transcode, depending on the horse power of Your notebook.

HTH :-)

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller