Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2018 12:59 PM by pierreh. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 12 2018 10:43 AM

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 3 2010
    • Posts 64
    • Points 820

Introduce a way to edit a clip name in a bin via keyboard shortcut - so you don't have to click with your mouse to highlight the text (assistant request)

This is really a request for people who assist as I don't think many editors will get much use out of this.

It's be great to be able to access (highlight) the text in a clip name (within a bin) without having to click on it - I am working on a job where I have to manage a huge amount of clips and am creating some serious macros to help me with my workflow. However one stumbling block I am up against is the fact I cannot edit a clip name without clicking on it which makes creating a working macro very difficult.

I understand that once you have a clip highlighted, you can press return and it will jump down to the next, but for my purposes this doesn't help as I want to jump between the project window, the timeline and the bin all within my macro.

If there is a way of doing this already please enlighten me but I have not found a solution on other forums as of yet.

Cheers

S

• Mon, Mar 12 2018 11:42 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,615

Re: Introduce a way to edit a clip name in a bin via keyboard shortcut - so you don't have to click with your mouse to highlight the text (assistant request)

I had the same problem with macro building here is my solution.

Navigate from the timeline using ‘match frame’ to the source monitor , from here use ‘find bin’ to highlight the clip in the bin use bin menu command ‘sift selected items’  to only display the clip to be edited, use a mouse click with window co-ordinates! in the macro software On the clip name, to enter edit mode , ie the sift selected items places the clip in a predictable place in the bin for a programmed mouse click, you then do the biz and use enter or return to exit text edit mode, and use the ‘show unsifted’ bin command to get you back to a normal bin display.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 13 2018 9:44 AM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 820

Re: Introduce a way to edit a clip name in a bin via keyboard shortcut - so you don't have to click with your mouse to highlight the text (assistant request)

Hi Martin,

Thanks for this. Could you elaborate on the mouse click with window co-ordinates? I'm not familiar with this. Any ideas how this would be intergrated with the use of  Razer Naga?

Many thanks

S

• Tue, Mar 13 2018 11:56 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,615

The  Mouse click with window cordinate  is it function of the macro software I use called keyboard Maestro (mac).

the co-ordinates are relative EITHER to the front most window(most useful) or the top left of the screen, the software allows you to click the target when programming.

id be pretty sure other brands of macro software allow the same functionality.

there is a YouTube vide of using quickkeys to automate the multiclip process, it is just amazing, saving hours of labour.

i’ll upload a screen shot of the co-ordinates stage of the macro.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 14 2018 12:21 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,615

avid super grouper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK4FAcF5Kp0

• Wed, Mar 14 2018 10:45 AM In reply to

• SilvaEdit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 64
    • Points 820

Wow - I don't know what the hell I just watched but it gave me a workflow boner.

I have often heard bad things about QuickKeys - would you recommend it?

Although this doesn't particularly help with my renaming problem I found it fascinating. I would like to thank you though for your "sift selected items" suggestion. This solved my problem to a degree. I can imagine making a looooong macro that would mean I didn't have to select the next item in my bin manually, although that would take some mental gymnastics and precision to input into my Naga correctly.

Thanks again!

• Wed, Mar 14 2018 10:56 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,615

I haven’t used quick keys, it was rather expensive when I was looking for macro software, I chose keyboard maestro which has been rock solid for me, and has a very active user forum. I think it has quite a long free trial. I’ll put a link up of the ‘edit name’  macro for anyone who’s interested (in a couple of days)

• Mon, Apr 2 2018 12:59 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,201
    • Points 14,515

SilvaEdit:

It's be great to be able to access (highlight) the text in a clip name (within a bin) without having to click on it - I am working on a job where I have to manage a huge amount of clips and am creating some serious macros to help me with my workflow. However one stumbling block I am up against is the fact I cannot edit a clip name without clicking on it which makes creating a working macro very difficult.

Yes it would be nice to be able to open the highlighted clip, or get into text editing mode, if using the Return key or the Enter key.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller