Latest post Mon, Feb 26 2018 10:46 PM by Martin Fox. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 26 2018 6:07 PM

• BrettG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 18 2012
    • Posts 38
    • Points 555

Why does MC re-render my timeline when I output a QT reference?

This is a question that has been bothering me for some time since the Media Composer update to 8.0. 

When delivering a cut for a client, we usually output a Quicktime reference file and then dump that file into MPEG Streamclip... thereby allowing the editor to continue working while the cut renders in the background. However, I've noticed since the MC 8.0 update that after rendering down all video and audio effects, and a burned-in timecode, when outputting the Quicktime reference file, MC still renders everything for another 20+ minutes. If my memory serves, prior to 8.0, everything remained rendered as long as we selected all tracks and rendered everything in to out. Now... it seems we have to render everything twice in order to produce the Quicktime reference file.

Does anyone know why this is? Or why this may be happening?

All our footage is HD transcoded from original RED RAW files, that were AMA linked, and range from 4K-8K. For some reason, I suspect that frame flex may have something to do with this? Although I am outputting a Quicktime reference file from a transcoded HD timeline, I still see that frame flex (even when not used or selected on the initial transcode) is still present. Perhaps this feature is causing the re-render time? 

Thanks for any help, all!

We are now running Media Composer 8.10.0 on Sierra 10.12.6.

• Mon, Feb 26 2018 10:46 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 234
    • Points 2,500

Re: Why does MC re-render my timeline when I output a QT reference?

A suggestion to use a Video mix down instead of rendering as a work around.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller