Latest post Wed, Feb 21 2018 11:54 AM by luca.mg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 20 2018 2:31 AM

NEED HELP - Relinking to directly-imported media without MXFs

Hey y'all,

I am an assistant editor who is new to Media Composer, but experienced in Premiere Pro. I just received an external drive that contains all the footage and audio for a project I am working on. When I open the project, all the media is offline. So far, I have not been able to relink any of the clips in the sequences to its source media. 

I reached out to the editor and she said that she imported all the footage and audio directly into the project without transcoding it. Therefore, I do not have an MXF folder to link back to.  Every time I try to relink to the media, Media Composer sends me the same error message (see attached). Even when I follow the directions in the dialogue box, the media will not relink.

How do I relink the clips to their sources? 

Thank you,

Anson M. Petrick

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 10:37 AM In reply to

Re: NEED HELP - Relinking to directly-imported media without MXFs

So presumeably the drive you received had no Avid Mediafiles folder on it with an MXF subfolder and numbered folders in that?

If it did then you do have Avid media.

You need to be sure of what the previous editor did. Did she import the media using the import option or did she link the media. Linking and importing aren't the same.

If she did import then you will have media and probably a very unhappy conform for the online (as importing isn't as flexible at the conform stage)

If she linked then you need to re-link. However confudingly you can't use the relink command.

You need to make a new bin (or bins) and AMA link the clips or folders from the drive into those bins.

As each batch of clips is linked you should see the original clips coming online. 

You then have to decide on your workflow. Do you intend working just with linked clips with all the potential issues you've just seen or will you trancode to make Avid media. And if so at what resolution.

This all comes down to a lack of a Post Production workflow. Soembody has to decide and agree how the job will be managed and that should dictate all the steps. Allowing a free for all process to evelove will just create headaches and repeated work down the line.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 11:32 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,443
    • Points 63,780

Hi Anson and welcome to the forums

Anson Petrick:
    I reached out to the editor and she said that she imported all the footage and audio directly into the project without transcoding it.

it seems that the editor linked to the footage, by moving the project to another workstations the drive letter has changed, and MC doesn't find the path to the files. Rather than relink You should link again: open all the relevant bins, make a temp bin, link it to the volume containing the original footage, the offline clips should go back online.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:01 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    make a temp bin, link it to the volume containing the original footage, the offline clips should go back online.

What do I put into the temp bin after I create it?

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:24 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    You need to be sure of what the previous editor did. Did she import the media using the import option or did she link the media. Linking and importing aren't the same.

She directly imported the footage and audio from her drive without transcoding or linking it. She does not have an MXF folder on her drive either as one was never created.

Pat Horridge:

If she linked then you need to re-link. However confudingly you can't use the relink command.

You need to make a new bin (or bins) and AMA link the clips or folders from the drive into those bins.

If I were to do this, what would I put into the new bins before performing an AMA link?

• Tue, Feb 20 2018 9:01 PM In reply to

You can't import without making Avid media (MXF files) its not possible.

She didn't import she linked the media is my guess. 

You could delete the new bin after the linking is done as it will have done its job of updating the previously linked clips. But most editors just tuck it away in a folder.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Feb 21 2018 11:54 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,443
    • Points 63,780

What Pat said. You have to use the newly created bin to link to the original footage. Please do some reading by searching the help system for source browser, import, link (formerly AMA link), and relink, to better understand how this all work and the terminology used by Avid, You'll find Yourself much more comfortable with MC soon after!

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller