Latest post Sat, Feb 17 2018 10:35 PM by jlomicka. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 14 2018 3:59 PM

5.1 editing / project settings?

Hey all,

I'm cutting a movie in 5.1 and I'm having a small irritating issue.

Once my clips are in the timeline, everything plays fine. However, when I'm playing clips in the source monitor they are always in stereo and much louder. I can switch each clip to 5.1 in the audio mixer, but that is irritating. 

Is there a setting that will have the clips all play in mono through the centre channel automatically?

Or to have the sequence stay in 5.1 permanently?

The Mix mode never changes, but on each clip the timeline audio setting defaults back to stereo. I have it set to 5.1 in audio project but that doesn't seem to help.

• Wed, Feb 14 2018 7:01 PM In reply to

Re: 5.1 editing / project settings?

I have the same issue. The thing is: you can Set MultiChannel Audio (through Clip->Modify) for masterclips, but not for subclips and synced clips. Other than that, the solution is pretty much to either drop all clips in a sequence and work from there, or manually set the clip format (top left of the Audio Mixer) to 5.1 for each separate clip. Only needs to be done once -- but that can be a lot of clicks on a feature.

The sequence should definitely stay in 5.1 permanently, even though new sequences will default to Stereo.

The fact that you mention level differences sounds a bit problematic, though. Overall (total) levels should stay the same, regardless of panning, unless the channel levels of your monitoring setup are off.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 16 2018 5:09 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

The fact that you mention level differences sounds a bit problematic, though. Levels should stay the same, regardless of panning, unless the channel levels of your monitoring setup are off.

Would they?  Couln't the rise in db be attributed to the channels adding together?

Hackintosh OC'd 4.2 i7-1070 9GB-32 GB RAM-Solid State Boot-8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.13.4 Symphony 2018.9.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 16 2018 5:17 PM In reply to

Yeah, I think that’s the issue. When it plays them through the stereo output the two mono tracks sum and play too loud.

its a pain. There is a button for mix mode but not sequence mix format. 

• Fri, Feb 16 2018 6:33 PM In reply to

Matthew Hannam:
    When it plays them through the stereo output the two mono tracks sum
    Hmmm, now you have me confused. But if you pan them to the 5.1's center channel, they _should_ sum anyway. So level should be the same.

There is a button for mix mode but not sequence mix format
    Can't check right now, but you may have to enable that option by opening the Console and type 'audioextras' and tick the appropriate option box. Also: it doesn't apply to sync clips or subclips, and it doesn't persist after you autosync.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 17 2018 2:17 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Matthew Hannam:
    When it plays them through the stereo output the two mono tracks sum
    Hmmm, now you have me confused. But if you pan them to the 5.1's center channel, they _should_ sum anyway. So level should be the same.

So I tested this. Create a dual mono 2-tone clip, each tone is -18dBfs. Centered Panning.

Set mix format to Stereo. Played in source monitor. Output ends up being -15dBfs (on both L and R outputs), so it's summing the two (as expected).

Set mix format to 5.1. Played in source monitor. Output ends up being -12dBfs (Center only), so again, it's summing to a single output, as expected.

Loudness/level therefore should be excactly the same for any source clip played in the source monitor, regardless of its mix format setting. If not, I strongly recommend you check your monitor level settings for each channel.

Job ter Burg:
    There is a button for mix mode but not sequence mix format

I mean the setting to change the mix format of a source clip. In AudioExtras, there is a tick box that allows you to set the mix format for one or multiple clips in a bin, through Clip->Modify.

• Sat, Feb 17 2018 10:35 PM In reply to

• jlomicka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Posts 19
    • Points 245
    • Avid Developer Moderator
      Avid Employee

If you are running an older Media Composer, you will need to turn on the ability to set the mix mode for source clips in Modify Clip / Multichannel audio using the console command "audioextras".  There is a checkbox there that turns on the feature.  At some point, we just turned it on for everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller