Latest post Tue, Jan 23 2018 12:14 PM by Obscure. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 20 2018 3:32 PM

• seaswei
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 30 2008
    • Posts 42
    • Points 525

How to multi select non contiguous clips on timeline

Just as topic asked, I want to know, how to slect multi clips, such as hundred clips on timeline.

But non contiguous, and all of them have somthing in common, maybe include same word in the clip name?

We can do quick search, but I want to select all of them after search like FCP7 does.

If Avid can do that or not? Much thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMd7KsMhj0&feature=youtu.be What I want is just like this

• Sat, Jan 20 2018 5:52 PM In reply to

Re: How to multi select non contiguous clips on timeline

seaswei:

I want to select all of them after search like FCP7 does.

If Avid can do that or not? Much thanks.

There are a variety of MC tools that may apply, but I’m curious: do you have a particular FCP workflow in mind? In FCP, (which I know ZERO about), what part of your editing process was helped by the search/selecting of clip names that are already on a timeline? Is the need related to clip deletion, movement or perhaps adding color correction, other FX....or is it anything else?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 21 2018 10:11 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

Can You clarify? Do You want to select multiple clips in the timeline or the clips in the bin(s) realated to a given timeline?

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Jan 21 2018 10:36 AM In reply to

• seaswei
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 525

In FCP 7, we can cmd+F to popup find pallete, and we can type in some keyword of all the clps that contain the same keyword. Such as, "Avid" to find out all the clips contain "Avid" in my timeline and these clips are all selected at same time. Then I can do copy or delete or move all thses clips up or down.

But Avid's find pallete only did find and jump to the edit point. I wanna to know if Avid has the same command or not? Thanks

• Sun, Jan 21 2018 11:21 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

You can search or sift a bin for a keyword, and You can perform this in the Media Tool, which holds all of the clips belonging to the project (and more, be careful!).

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Jan 21 2018 12:09 PM In reply to

• seaswei
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 525

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMd7KsMhj0&feature=youtu.be

What I want is just like this

• Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:03 PM In reply to

Thanks for posting your YouTube. I agree, THAT is a very good feature, whether it is built into the MC FIND tool (Find & Select”), or available from ANY open bin, including Media Tool, ( Mirror Selected Clips from Bin to Timeline, or as a Right-Click Option from Highlighting a single clip on timeline)

I’m on v885 and it does have a fairly new Timeline Right_Click Menu tool called SELECT, which is a step in the right direction, in terms of automating multiple timeline clip highlight/selections based on Color attributes of various kinds.

My hunch is that FCP innovations like that can be traced back to early MC pioneers, like Steve Bayes.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/5555.aspx

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 21 2018 11:45 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,610
    • Points 65,815

I see, useful feature, especially handy for someone accostumed to use it! Seriously speaking, forgive me for not catching up at first. There's no way that I know of to achieve that in MC, You may want to ask for a 'find and select' command over the features request forum. Don't know if such a feature is an Apple patent and can be ported to Avid though.

peace luca

• Mon, Jan 22 2018 6:15 AM In reply to

• seaswei
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 525

That's OK.

I need to do something in Avid style.

• Tue, Jan 23 2018 12:14 PM In reply to

• Obscure
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2018
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

In Avid v8.6, they added a number of new timeline select menu's. see page 13 of this document...

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v8.6.pdf

I haven't tested this, but I don't see why you couldn't do the following...

1/ Enable reference clips in bin

2/ Colour the refernece clips that you want to multi-select the same colour

3/ Use the 'Select > Clips with Same Source Clip Colour' option in the readme that I have linked.

I know that it isn't as straight forward as the FCP7/Premiere method but it is only a few extra clicks.

I would be interested to know what you think of this. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller