Latest post Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:53 PM by Dave. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 10:49 AM

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 14 2012
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

Wave plugin not linking to files

I can not get some Audio Network .wav files to link/import into media composer 8.10.0 on PC (windows 10).  Only 4 out of 7 files link regardless of using Source Browser or alt dragging from explorer.  It's a new project, completely fresh install of MC, new user profile.

Has anyone else come across this?

Media Composer 2018.4, Windows 10 Pro (1709), Dell T7910, Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4 @3.00GHz 12-Core, 96GB RAM, EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080 ti SC2, Dell P2415Q,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:10 AM In reply to

Re: Wave plugin not linking to files

Hi,

What happens when you try linking or importing that's keeping it from working? Do you get an error message?

Media Composer 2018.4 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:11 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,580

I've used a fair amount of Audio Network files in my time and never had any problems with bringing them into MC. I haven't had reason to upgrade to 8.10, so I can't comment on this version.

Given that these are relatively small in size, maybe you could put the offending files somewhere that others here can try importing on their systems - that's if you're not breaking any of Audio Network's copyright rules!

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

Check for invalid characters in the file name or path.

Try simplifyng them first.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 2:20 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

Thanks all for the suggestions.

There is no error message showing and nothing in the console.

I renamed the files to 1.wav and that didn't work so I re-encoded to wav with media encoder and that worked with the wave/aiff plugin.

Here is a link to one that works & the one that didn't (or did with quicktime but not wave/aiff plugin).  

Media Composer 2018.4, Windows 10 Pro (1709), Dell T7910, Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4 @3.00GHz 12-Core, 96GB RAM, EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080 ti SC2, Dell P2415Q,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 2:39 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,580

Dave:
    Here is a link to one that works & the one that didn't

Just tried these two files in MC 8.8.4 and they both linked (through the source browser) and played without problems.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:24 PM In reply to

I just tried both on the system in my specs at the bottom of this post, and they both linked through the source browser, and also imported by dragging and dropping them from the downloads folder to the bin. They play fine with either method.

Media Composer 2018.4 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:50 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

Thanks for looking Bruno.  I just tried on another system and it also linked fine, this got me thinking it's clashing with another file so when I tried linking this wav when mystification was already in a bin it wouldn't do it, not sure if that'll be the same on your system.

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:52 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

Thanks camoscato, if you could test it with the extra wav I just posted and see if it all works fine that would be really helpful.

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:54 PM In reply to

Tested the file that wasn't linking and it linked and worked fine for me.

Its possible your system thinks its been linked before and is ignoring it.

Managing AMA linked content within MC as proper Avid media just raise some odd issues.

You could try trashing the AMA databases.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:07 PM In reply to

Dave:

Thanks camoscato, if you could test it with the extra wav I just posted and see if it all works fine that would be really helpful.

No luck linking the third file (All-Nighter). It behaves as you describe in your initial post. i.e. nothing happens when you link.

When importing, I get a pop-up that says "The file 'ANW2737_03_All-Nighter.wav' contains a start time. How do you want the start time imported?" There's a drop-down that lists a variety of frame rates. The other files (the ones that worked) didn't do this. Maybe that's a clue?

Edited to add: More clues. When using the WaveAIFF Plug-In, only two of the three files link (2874 and 2626). The third one (2737) doesn't.

When using the QuickTime Plug-In all three files link.

I couldn't see any obvious differences between them when looking at the metadata in the Source Browser.

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:53 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • United Kingdom
    • Posts 18
    • Points 210

camoscato:

Dave:

No luck linking the third file (All-Nighter). It behaves as you describe in your initial post. i.e. nothing happens when you link.

When importing, I get a pop-up that says "The file 'ANW2737_03_All-Nighter.wav' contains a start time. How do you want the start time imported?" There's a drop-down that lists a variety of frame rates. The other files (the ones that worked) didn't do this. Maybe that's a clue?

Edited to add: More clues. When using the WaveAIFF Plug-In, only two of the three files link (2874 and 2626). The third one (2737) doesn't.

When using the QuickTime Plug-In all three files link.

I couldn't see any obvious differences between them when looking at the metadata in the Source Browser.

That's all good to know thanks.  The fact it works when using quicktime link & with the waveAIFF plugin when it's re-converted to wav (still with the same name) suggests there might be some metadata causing an issue in the original encoded file that's not being read by the QT link and is getting lost when re-converting.

For this episode I'm just going to use the quicktime link as it's working without issue so far.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller