Latest post Wed, Dec 6 2017 9:27 AM by CinéMatica. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:27 PM

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 39
    • Points 400

Avid Artist | Color control surface

Last week I finally pulled the plug and bought myself a brand new Avid Artist | Color control surface. I already owned the Mix and Transport console, so this panel would make my editing cockpit complete, bright, shiny and colorful.

After a few days I almost am starting to regret the purchase of this panel because it isn’t as colorful as it should be at all. I have been reading some comments from out of a very long past about the weakness of this product, and have to determine that these problems still aren’t solved after all these years. The reaction of the Artist | Color panel in Media Composer with Symphony option is really slow and jumpy. It takes at least a couple of seconds for the Avid to react when adjusting values with the trackballs and/or trackwheels. Why isn’t this updating in real-time yet? Common Avid, it really is the end of 2017! When I want to move the crosshair pointer from the middle of one of the chromawheels to the edge it takes me about 30 seconds do to this with big sweeps! After adjusting the sensitivity in the setup from 50 to 100 it works a little bit faster and better. With this I am not saying that I am satisfied with it. I am getting incredible jealous when I see Doug Hansel flying his Avid Artist | Color panel in the video below. A video that has been posted on YouTube almost 6 years ago!

Media Composer® 6 ‒ Product Designer Series on Artist Color

Media Composer® 6 ‒ Artist Color

The Avid Artist | Transport is from the same sheet of pants. It never worked to my satisfaction. The jog-wheel doesn’t react, jumps in frames or seconds. It is definitely not working as smooth as in the video below! A video from 6 years and 9 months ago!

Media Composer® 5.5 ‒ Avid® Artist Controllers

Common Avid get this sorted out as soon as possible! And not alone for the Artist | Color panel, but for all the Avid Artist control surfaces.

Avid Media Composer 8.8.1.45610.0 | Avid Symphony Option | Avid ScriptSync 2.0 | Avid PhraseFind 2.0 | Avid Pro Tools 11.3.1.370 | Avid Application Manager... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 5 2017 6:56 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Artist | Color control surface

Have you tried these settings ?

1. Press the Nav button, and then press the Setup soft knob.
    The LED display changes to show the control categories on the Artist Color.
    2. Turn the appropriate soft knob to adjust the sensitivity on any of the following controls:

Jog

Shuttle

Shuttle Stop

Wheel

Ball

Knob

• Wed, Dec 6 2017 9:27 AM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 39
    • Points 400

Re: Avid Artist | Color control surface

After adjusting the sensitivity in the setup from 50 to 100 it works a little bit faster and better. With this I am not saying that I am satisfied with it.

Eddie, thanks for the advice but I already have done this. It still isn't working as smooth as shown in the videos from several years ago!

Avid Media Composer 8.8.1.45610.0 | Avid Symphony Option | Avid ScriptSync 2.0 | Avid PhraseFind 2.0 | Avid Pro Tools 11.3.1.370 | Avid Application Manager... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller